Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quilts donated to our Military

Posted by magothyrivergirl (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 28, 10 at 11:31

If you wonder how some of the quilts donated to our military are used and provide some degree of comfort - read the article - or just look at the pictures. The quilts are mentioned several times - the article is about transporting our very, very injured heroes - not about the quilts - but it is obvious, the quilts are a HUGE part of the process.
My husband pointed out the pictures to me this morning before he rushed out to the football game.
I hope to donate a few more next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington Post

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quilts donated to our Military

That was a very inspiring and moving story. I lost a step grandson in Afganistan. I am an Army brat and also a wife of a veteran. My father enlisted and fought the Battle of the Bulge in WWII and retired a couple years after two tours in Vietnam. Three wars. You don't have to tell me how much somthing like a quilt says to people like that. It would be a treasure.

I also would like to say, I am a military history buff and genealogist. The tradition of American women making their forces quilts dates back at least to the Civil war. Some things don't change. Some things shouldn't.

o

Marsha, I was just going to post this link, thank you!!!!
It is sad but also heart warming. My DH served 4 years in the Air Force in Vietnam. Step dad is retired Army.
Susie, sorry for your loss, I lost a 21 yo uncle to Vietnam.
My nephew joined the Army on October.
I pray everyday for world peace, maybe some day.
Rosa

o

Marsha, thank you so much for the link.

I have quilt #26 sitting on the cutting table with just a bit of handwork left to be done. I'll complete it this week.

I confess - I have been burned out on Quilts of Valor, but 24 over 36 months is a lot! And not done on my own - so many of you contributed blocks to this effort!

The article brought tears to my eyes.

o

I try to donate a top to QOV every year...it isn't much but it's sewn with prayer and much appreciation.

Mary, I can understand you getting burned out. Is there someone close-by that can do the binding for you? I did 50 pillowcases (some went to a military hospital in Germany) last Christmas and haven't done one since!

SharonG/FL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here