Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosajoe_gw

jury duty and quilting

rosajoe_gw
10 years ago

Of all of the pain in the buttocks things I have been called for jury duty next week. Could they ever be more inconsiderate of MY time lol!!

There are so many things you can not do or bring and so few you can. You can not bring bottles of water anymore. I plan to bring my bluework embroidery, but no scissors, even children's blunt tips are not allowed here. Weeeel, I am just going to let the ends dangle until I can get a break to go and trim them in my car.

No knitting or crochet needles are allowed. The embroidery needle is going to be stashed in the book I am reading. That is what I was told to do by an employee lol - she said some of the guards allow more than others.

Have any of you had jury duty lately and what were you able to do to entertain yourself?
Rosa

Comments (12)

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Remember you can get a little thread cutter that looks like a small disk on a chain and is worn like a necklace. I've used them on planes before they got more liberal on small scissors.

I'll post a link so you can understand what I'm talking about. It's good for trips and jury duty.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread cutters

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rosa, You could always write them a letter telling them all the quilting you need to do. They might be lenient and let you off. NOT!!!!! LOL

I haven't had jury duty lately and I've been taken off the list because of health reasons.

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Here is a link for a gold thread cutter.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold thread cutter pendant

• petalpatsy
    10 years ago

Maybe you won't get chosen?

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda and Sandra, OMGoodness thank you!!!! I didn't know those little things existed and they are really cute.

I tried small nail clippers and if you catch the thread just right and yank it works lol!

Sharon, depending on how long we have to sit between breaks I may have to opt out permanently. My hip gets painful sitting for long periods without being able to stretch and I don't think they want a juror loopy on pain meds lol. I don't mind getting older, but it's hell falling apart lol!

Patsy, even if I don't get chosen for a trial about 100 were called in and I have to stay until all of the paperwork is processed. My friends works at the courthouse and she told me to expect to be there all day! Just think how much I'll get to work on my embroidery!
    Rosa

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

FWIW, I was declined entry into our courthouse due to finger nail clippers. Had to take them back to the car!

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jennifer, we were told not to bring a purse either!

• calliope
    10 years ago

I am really trying to wrap my mind around what kind of damage you could do with a fingernail clipper. I got called last year, and spent the biggest part of the day sitting through the jury selection, and the last juror was picked shortly before my number came up. Yeah, it blew a day and I was paid five whole dollars.

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Those thread cutters work great and only a fellow quilter will know what that cute little pendant is really for!
    V.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Jury duty can be a real pain in the butt, but we have to keep in mind that this is the price we pay for the privilege of being judged by a jury of our peers and not just accused and jailed.

I was called only once so far, and I was put onto a jury for a murder case. I found it fascinating. The only problem was that I was sequestered in a hotel room for two nights while my husband had to entertain our houseguest - my dear friend who also happened to be his old high school girlfriend. What a hoot! It's made for a great story. Good thing I'm not the jealous type.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

loisf,
    Great story alright. The only time I've been called to jury duty they dumped me after the second day. Can't say I was sorry, but the process was interesting. I'm hearing impaired and used a device. The defense lawyer pestered me about whether I could hear or not, but the final straw was, I laughed at the prosecutor's joke! I watched as the defense lawyer made a final tic on his list and dismissed me ;-)

Despite the nuisance value, I too am glad we live in a world where there is a chance to be fairly judged. I'm not sure I could feel I'd paid close enough attention to a trial once it's begun, if I was doing something else. I guess it's different with the selection process. I found the stories of the other jurors interesting enough to keep me entertained though.

Happy embroidering Rosa.

LindaB/CA

• rosajoe_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LindaB/CA,
    If you are selected you have to put your toys away lol, some judges will not allow pen and pencil to take notes.

I have been called so many times and only one time came close to being on a serious trial. We were seated and several of the police testified and then a plea deal was reached. The others for me have been robbery and drug related. Not that they are not serious lol!

We had a trial this month where a 20ish male killed 8 family members and left a toddler for dead in a small single wide mobile home. There were over 200 blows total. It was a hung jury for a week and the judge said keep at it. Finally (not sure about legal reasons) the judge replaced one juror and they took the death penalty away and he was sentenced to life no parole.

I would not EVER be able to sentence a person to death under those circumstances. He admitted to being high on drugs, but I can not understand how he could kill so many people (young and healthy, at least 5 males) in that small of an area and no one woke up. The police reported blood everywhere in the home and there were 4 people sleeping in one room.

And another where two teens were robbing a mother pushing a stroller. She refused to give them her purse and one teen shot the baby point blank in the face. The purse had no money in it! Both teens were tried as adults and life no parole because of age. Sad sad!