Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

November Quilting/Sewing Goals

My list is short this month.....visitors coming on Friday!! Yeaaaaaaaa

Necktie Quilt - (aiming for 2/3 ties daily)

Backing on Doll Quilts

Start Quilting Boston Terrier (Considering the appliqueing hadn't even been completed in January, this might eventually get done)

5 kitchen towels with potholders

Start making BD blocks

11 BOM/Sew-along blocks

Sharon

Comments (50)

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

You inspire me!

1. FMQ Xmas table runner, for me.
    2. PP tree blocks for Jeweled Forest done but need borders and FMQ, darn borders take more time than trees. Have two sets of trees done.
    3. Put border on jigsaw puzzle quilt and decide what to do about FMQ. Can't seem to dye the right color so will go out and buy a Moda Marble or something in the value I want.
    4. Ongoing applique of baby quilt teddy bears, not a priority because they aren't pregnant yet.
    5. Applique color wheel for wall of my sewing room, still need to work out EQ6 pattern

I was working on a new pattern for a reverse applique quilt and then saw one similar in a show. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Threw it all in the garbage. I'm bummed. I'll start a new idea one of these days.

• katy122
    14 years ago

I finished baby quilt for daughters friend....November??? Must finish quilt for other daughter that she started and very graciously thought it would be a good idea for me to finish for her....working on that as we speak...it was her first try at doing a quilt so Ive had to do a little tweaking here and a little tweaking there but it seems to be coming along nicely...it will probably become her Christmas present so it should save me some money besides. Still have a couple more UFO's that need to get finished after that, so I dont think I will become "bored" in November or December for that matter...I think I am making a dent in my "stash" and that is always a good thing because then I can make room for more material....if you can believe this I have not purchased any for almost a year....I have been a very good girl.

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Toolgrannny,

Why throw it out, 'cause you feel it's no longer an original idea or execution?

Oh, pls. don't do that, save it for some other time or other project or put it aside 'til inspiration comes for a different or "better" use. Pls DON'T throw out your work!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, Sure don't see how I can be an inspiration to you with all you get done and thing of doing. I practiced making one of the trees and have pulled some fabric for them for Salijo to guide me in color placement for my first wallhanging challenge...not sure about those borders though. Sorry about your new pattern....what a bummer!

Hi Katy, That is so awesome.....a year without buying fabric!!! Good for you!

• calliope
    14 years ago

I have enough fabric to make tents for the population of our county, but I still bought fabric last month and was given perhaps ten more yards. Tonight, my dear son gave me a bag with a dozen pair of jeans he was discarding for more rag quilts. Have they pegged me, or what? I thought that was very thoughtful for a fella!

November goals? Where did October go? No,really.....where did it go?

I found out that my dear DILs baby shower is going to be the first week of December. So, I am right on schedule with her baby quilt. It's twelve-twelve inch blocks with sashing between them all. I am just finishing up hand quilting the tenth block and should be finished with the quilting by week's end. Amazingly when I started quilting, I was getting a block and a half done each day. LOL. Now it's taking me two to three days per block. That tells me I am mentally ready to wrap it up. I shall be putting baby rick-rack down all the sashing and then shall bind it with a narrow binding. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. One of my better efforts, thank God. BTW, I used fusible batting for the first time, and I am sold. The reverse is just so perfect. No bunches, no shifting. Not hard to hand stitch, either.

My November goals, much like last month's.

Finish the paper-pieced trees for Woodenzoo's November lotto

Do a couple November lotto blocks with the scrappy patches.

Finish the baby quilt.

And I've three UFO's to attend to. All finished tops in various stages of needing quilted.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Tonight I finished my Christmas wall hanging! That counts for November, right? I've been laid up with a foot injury so I've had lots of sofa time to work on it. (I'll post pictures in a couple days. )

I had one birthday block left for the year and did that tonight too so can mail it off tomorrow.

I have Odessa's round robin border to finish this month and will probably get Marie's before long, too. I'm not sure I'll have time for anything else!

Kate

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Finish the last 2 BD blocks for next year. Set up the packages. I like to have a head start.
    Work on the Star sampler quilt. Hope to have it 3/4 quilted by the end of the month. (hand quilting is slow)
    Make my Brown Bear Brown Bear quilt.
    Look for a pattern to make my Spring wall hanging.
    Look for some Christmas ideas to make.

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

November? Really? Yikes, we're at the end of the year already!

My list:
    November Lotto blocks (3)
    Finish baby quilt for daughters friend due anytime
    Ginny Beyer wall hangings for gifts (2) (hope to get at least 1 done) ~LOL~
    Table runner for gift
    Continue with next years Birthday Blocks (finished 2 already)

Gosh I think there's more but this list scares me so I'll stop for now.

Susan

• grammyp
    14 years ago

1. Finish the last 3 quilts sandwiched at the retreat.
    2. Make the 2 I-spy quilts I have orders for.
    3. Finish cleaning the sewing room to make room for Santa!

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calliope - I think my Dec will be much like Nov. lol

Kate - for spending October on the couch, you done good and yes, that finished wallhanging counts for Nov!

Jayne - ACCKKKKKK....you have the BD blocks done???? I wish I was as far along as you are. I keep thinking that would be a good New Year's Eve project. For xmas ideas, look for candle mats and turn them into hotpad mats for the table.....or, use those orphan blocks!

Susan - hope the last stitches are going into the baby quilt. @:)

Beverly - Santa's showing up in your sewing room? What's he bringing you???? A LA?

Noooooo sewing was done in my house today.... @:( I hope to make up for it tomorrow. @:)

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

I finished #1, Xmas table runner for me. Might post a picture later when I get camera out.

I'm moving onto #3 since I have dyed a dark green I like - finally. These borders will go on fast and then it gets moved onto FMQ pile with others.

I am on block 3 of my Teddy Bears, no hurry there. With baseball season over, I can do more piecing and less "lap" work.

Hopeing to work on design of my #5 goal, a color wheel for my work room.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

One I-spy sewn and ready to clip. I'll do it while working the rest stop for the Pinhoti 100 Saturday night. We have the rest stop at mile 89.5 and will be there from 7pm Sat till 9am Sunday. Lots of time to work, there are only 63 runners this year.

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Besides being bummed over computer virus/Trojan that rendered my machine uselss and losing my email acct , DH installing Windows 7 (and loving It), way too much to do, I will focus on:

Finishing Bonnie Hunter's Christmas light mystery.

Trying redwork machine embroidery with Perle cotton in bobbin to make a Scottie doggie design for GS for Holidays

and just staying busy and sane!

Gwen

• grammyp
    14 years ago

So he is pleased with Windows 7 is he. I haven't gotten it yet.

beverly

• polardream
    14 years ago

Carry-overs from October:
    1. 2 pillow shams to match "Saturday Flower Garden"- sew backs on
    2. make 3 quilted covers for floor cushions for classroom- 2 pieced - working on third.
    3. Flannel baby quilt for co-worker - Done & Delivered (she had baby girl)
    4. BD blocks for Sew-in-Sews - DONE- mail last one!
    5. 2010 BD blocks - January DONE!
    6. Non-quilting... finish painting LR/DR/& kitchen. Pick out new light fixtures, tables, & lamps.

Seems like school and non-quilting stuff is getting in the way of my hobbies! Guess I need to think about retirement :)

Sue/polardream

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm baaaaaaaaack! Had a good time with Salijo, Nick and Julie. Happened to have the Stone Crab Jam going on while they were here.....yummmmmm Didn't get any sewing done over the week-end, but after a little rest (got up at 2:30am to get them to the airport), I have 6 towels and potholders sewed together and now they just need buttons sewn on....maybe tonight.

SUE.....do more than 'think' about retirement! Do it!!! You'll wonder how you found time to work!

WE ARE QUILTERS AND WE WILL GET OUR GOALS COMPLETED THIS MONTH....(or close to it)

Sharon

• grammyp
    14 years ago

The I-Spy is all clipped and ready to wash tomorrow. Hands got too cold Sat night (actually Sunday morning) and had to quit. Just found out there is a baby shower next weekend for Nikki's friend so I better finish up the purple and green baby quilt this week.

beverly

• calliope
    14 years ago

Baby quilt finished last night. Whew, had fun with it. Thanks to Vicky for introducing us to this pattern on one of her block lotto choices. I knew way back then, I'd like to make a quilt of it, and God gave me a new grandchild for whom to do it. ;-)

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Oh, the bugs are so cute! Great baby quilt.

beverly

• grammyp
    14 years ago

Here is the latest Rag I-spy quilt, ready to go to it's new little boy.

I-spy side:

Ragged denim side:

Tomorrow I hope to start quilting the baby quilt.

beverly

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Both quilts are great. The babys will love them.
    Have finished my BD blocks for 2010 and have to start getting them pkged.
    Mailing out the last of Sew-in-Sews tomorrow.
    Progressing on the Star quilt. Hand quilting is slow going.
    Found the pattern I remembered for the Spring project. (Cheating a little and have it started but if I don't I will never get it finished)
    Plan on working on Brown bear this week.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great quilt, Calliope...I thought that was a cute block, too.

Beverly, Good job on getting the rag quilt done! Did you sew an X on each block?

This is my update:
    6 kitchen towels with potholders are completed.
    3 Doll Quilts are completed (might embellish later if there's time)

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Those are both wonderful quilts.

I have added to my list another reverse applique design to replace the one I wadded up. New subject, same method and colors. I hope this one works. I'm out of my depth here and my design brain works better some times than others. Better go buy some wine. This one will qualify for the quarterly wallhanging challenge for January since it's a bit new for me.

I'm finishing up last bit of border on #3 item, the jigsaw puzzle quilt top. I won't finish it up now anyway, just throw it on the pile waiting for the FMQ bug to hit me. I also say this because it takes me some time to figure out how I want to quilt it. Inspiration is fleeting.

My Jeweled forest blocks are assembled and borders under way. They take forever so I ignore it for awhile when I get tired of it. It's for Xmas so have some time yet.

I took a hand quilting class Monday and am so inspired. I think I can do this on a small wall hanging easily but wouldn't try it on a bigger project. I like instant gratification.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ladies, This is just to let you know about a situation in my life that will affect my sewing and computer time....and has already done so. It's my eyes. As you know, I'm legally blind in one eye....the good eye now, not only has glaucoma but also cataracts. Surgery, at this time is not an option....too risky. I still plan to do the best I can as long as I can but I find the computer to be really wearing on my eyes. So, I won't be around as much or spend as much time here.....or anywhere else, at this time.

I hope to bombard Uncle J's Necktie Quilt, the Boston Terrier, Salijo's and the birthday blocks. Unfortunately, the dreaded 'flag' showed up at my house again yesterday and I spent 2 hours working on black.

I know you all will keep on keeping on......

Sharon

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Thanks for telling us Sharon- I have noticed your decreasing presence. I am sorry - You have been very helpful to me and I enjoy your work. You will be missed and I will be thinking about you. I had no idea you had eye problems.
    You accomplish so much!!! Get Salijo to post a pic of Uncle J's Necktie quilt when you get done. Sending fond quilty thoughts your way.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Oh Sharon........gee! I'll sure miss your cheery posts. If you want to, you can modify your monitor and puter settings to make it easier for you to interact if you need to.

Best thoughts coming your way and stay in touch as much as you feel comfortable doing.

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry it is getting difficult to see. Perhaps DH will be willing to type for you. When do you think you will be able to get the cataract removed? Post when you can, and if I can help with anything just let me know.

((hugs and prayers))
    beverly

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

Sharon...I will miss you here at the forum. I hope we can meet again when you come up north. I have enjoyed meeting you in person as well as here. I hope that you can have surgery in the future that will save your good eye.
    Take care.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, everyone, I appreciate you so much. I got fabric cut last night for the backs of some orphan blocks to use as hot dish mats now to get the rest of it ready. I sew for awhile and then rest the ol' eyes.....guess it's just something to get used to....never thought i would have to live with it. I don't think surgery will be an option until it gets to the place I would be blind with or without the surgery. DH is having his first one done the 23rd and the second one done 2 weeks later. I hope to still be around, just not as much.

Heading out to a quilt show later on......@:)

Sharon

• damascusannie
    14 years ago

I WILL finish the quilt for our niece and I'm going to make a tote bag for myself--as a little free advertising for my quilting business. Now that we are settled in here in Galveston, it's time to get that going again. I have some Christmas runners that I want to make as well--a couple for me, a couple for gifts.

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Sharon, I am so sorry to hear about your toubles. I wish you could have your cataract removed. I just had my second one done and it was such a success I could only wish you the same. The surgery didn't take 15 min. and I was at the hospital only a couple of hours..
    I will miss your imput and help. You have always been an inspiration on the forum. Keep up what you can and if there is a way to help please let us know. Jayne

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Jayne. Only time will tell the outcome of this situation. In the meantime, it sure puts things in perspective on what sewing to work on! There are a few UFO's/WIP's I want to complete and this will most likely be the last year for the Aunt Sharon, Bless Her Heart projects.

I want to work on the Hot Dish Mats today....Christmas is looming closer and closer in spite of 'life' happening.

Have a great week-end y'all and KOKO... @:)

Sharon

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Will someone tell me what "KOKO" means?? Please? I can't figure it out :)

Sharon, I think I read you ordered the Bendable Light - is that helping?? It took me awhile to realize how versatile this little light is - bend it toward your work to pin, rip out stitches, hand sew - anything where you benefit from that focused little spotlight. You can order an additional mounting disc so you can move the light part. Your hubby is so talented, I'm sure he can make you something to mount that light onto, so that will let you easily carry it around with you to use for reading or any close work not at your machine. I was thinking like mounting it on a paint stirrer stick with a stand. (If you didn't get the bendable light - this will make no sense to you :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bendable light

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mago.....KOKO....Keep On Keeping On. We were doing something over in Conversations for awhile...sort of an encouragement thing and that's how that got started.

I did order the bendable light and also ordered the extra mounting disc. Not sure where/if I'll use it, but I have it just in case. Could use it on my machine in Indiana if nothing else....if I ever get there again. @:) It does help, especially when sewing on black....which I now don't do much of, but sometimes necessary. Another thing I have that helps are clip-on/flip-up magnifiers. They're like the clip-on sunglasses??? but they're magnifiers...I have to hide them from DH. He's been using an optivisor, but this is much easier.....picked it up at Joann's.

I'm off to get the Land of Nod Cinna-buns started.....can't do it over night. @:)

• grammyp
    14 years ago

(one done)
    (one done)
    (does it ever end?)

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    14 years ago

Sharon,
    Sorry you are having eye problems. Please let us know how you are doing as time goes on...I volunteer to post for you...I have sent you an email....You are our best cheerleader and help so much with monthly accountability...Thanks so much....Gwen

• love2sew
    14 years ago

Sharon, I have just read this thread to learn of your eye problems. I was teasing you about your SBS on the gallery thinking you were coming up with some new surprise by pulling them to the top. I am so sorry to read of your eye problems and I really hope you can somehow have the cataracts done. I had mine done sooner than expected because my eye doctor noticed an increased pressure in my eye. After my eye surgery the pressure has returned to normal and I can see so much better.

We have all grown to look for your posts as you always have something interesting going on. I hope there is some way that you can remain part of our group even though you will not be quilting like a fiend! Everyone in your family will certainly treasure the wonderful gifts you have made each year.

Hugs, Jeane

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Sharon, please don't stay away even if you aren't quilting. You are part of this group! We have some sight-impaired people at work and discovered you can change the font on your computer monitor to a very large size; that might help!

))))))))))))))))))

I've done pretty well with November projects:
    Started and finished the hospital size bed quilt for my FIL. BTW, 4'x7' turned out to be the perfect size. He sent me a picture and it doesn't hang over the sides more than a couple inches.
    Finished the birthday blocks for the year.
    Posted pictures of the Christmas project that I finished on Nov 1st.
    Finished Odessa's round robin border.
    I found some time to go through the applique pattern books I purchased and do a little practicing with needle turn applique.

I think I'm done for the month although I have some flannel and fleece that I want to put together for a quick lap quilt. Between house cleaning, a Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta and prepping for December activities, I don't think I'll have time for any more sewing for a couple weeks.

Kate

• day2day
    14 years ago

Sharon, sorry to hear of your eye problems. You have been an inspiration to many of us. Stay in touch as much as you comfortably can.

~Geraldine

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate all your support and words of encouragement, thank you.

Gwen, Email received - @:)

Kate, I went to 'view' and put the text on 'largest' and that is helping. Is there something more?

Jeane, Someone had asked me to post pictures of the Sue's so I just pulled those up instead of reposting....I should have made the notation when I did it.

10 Doll Quilts - 5 COMPLETED
    Hot Dish Mats - 6 COMPLETED
    5 kitchen towels with potholders - 6 COMPLETED
    Necktie Quilt - AFTER CHRISTMAS GIFTS ARE MADE
    Quilt Boston Terrier - AFTER CHRISTMAS GIFTS ARE MADE
    Start making BD blocks - AFTER CHRISTMAS GIFTS ARE MADE
    11 BOM/Sew-along blocks (ON THE BACK BURNER)

Sharon

• grammyp
    14 years ago

(one done)
    (one done, second order cancelled)
    (does it ever end?)
    4. New order for Christmas lap quilt for raffel at work. Due Dec 14th.

beverly

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Sharon,
    There's a product called ZoomText that we use at work. It's expensive but works great. There might be agencies in your area that offer support for vision impairments; they have lots of products available. The State of Florida has some services that you might want to look into too; you can check it out at www.myflorida.com.
    Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: aisquared.com - ZoomText

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Our month is about over and I've completed my goals, except the FMQ on color wheel. Might get to it yet.

1. Table runner (FOR ME)

2. Jeweled Forest pattern hanging. I didn't do it in the bright colors but did a Xmas fabric version and this homespun version. I liked the homespun best and put the other blocks away for next year. I may post this by itself since it is a pattern many have seen and might be working on.

3. Jigsaw puzzle quilt together. This will be a major FMQ job so won't get to that part for awhile. It will join my pile of FMQ UFOs for now but it's a relief to get it to this stage.

4. You can see Teddy Bear blocks above color wheel.

5. Color wheel ready to sandwich and quilt. I hand dyed the fabrics so it took a long time for the right colors and still it has colors not quite up to par. But, it's good enough to decorate my wall in an office no one else gets to see anyway.

Okay Sharon, what have you got planned for December? It's a busy month so I may just work on the learning curve to get up and running on the new Grace frame. Shopping first, of course.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh My Word, Linda/toolgranny, You have really been busy and productive! WOW!!! You put me to shame!

I think next month might just be clearing up what's leftover from this month....at least for me. I don't plan to start any new quilts until I get the important UFO tops completed. And, I need to STOP BUYING FABRIC!!!! Although, some of what I just ordered was on a gift cert from Salijo for my Christmas gift, so that doesn't count. @:) I also bought a couple things for next years Seasonal Challenge so, that doesn't count either. Eventually, I want get all the blocks done from the 5 BOM/Sew Alongs I was doing. I'm a mess........!

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    14 years ago

OOOhhhh, Linda, I love those. I think the color wheel looks great. I am going to try and finish the Christmas quilt this month. The last two sandwiched at camp are for me, so they can get done whenever. Don't know how much sewing I will get done in December. I have 6 photo albums to finish before Christmas.

beverly

• polardream
    14 years ago

Sharon, I am so sorry to hear about your eyes. I will keep you in my prayers! Everyone seems so busy and productive.
    Carry-overs:
    1. 2 pillow shams to match "Saturday Flower Garden"- sew backs on _ STILL NOT DONE!
    2. make 3 quilted covers for floor cushions for classroom- 2 pieced - working on third. STILL NOT DONE
    3. BD blocks for Sew-in-Sews - DONE
    4. COME UP WITH ACTIVITY FOR MY QUILT GROUP MEETING DEC. 10!
    5. 2010 BD blocks - January DONE!
    6. Bought fleece at JoAnnes for 18 tied fleece blankets for Project Linus (that $2.99/yard plus 20% off coupon was worth shopping with on Friday! My students will tie on Thursday)
    7. Pieced fleece blanket from the corner squares from last years project & made baby size blanket.
    8. Non-quilting... Painted LR/DR - still need to paint kitchen. Pick out new light fixtures, tables, & lamps.

Sue/polardream

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kate, Thank you for the link....I've been checking into the keyboards...if you have those at work, is either black on yellow or white on black perferred over the other? We specifically when to Office Max to look for a keyboard like this and they had nothing to offer.

Sue, Good for you in getting the students involved in giving! Let us know their thoughts as they work on the quilts sending best wishes and comfort to those who receive them.

I have a couple more doll quilts completed (pic in gallery) and another hot dish mat. Have to get to Joann's for more cotton batting for the mats so I can work on the rest of them. At least 3 more of each to do then I'll get them sorted and mailed.

Happy last day of November everyone!

SharonG/FL

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Sharon - I've only seen the white/black keyboards so can't say if the yellow/black is better or not. Sorry.

Toolgranny! I love the jigsaw puzzle quilt! Is there a pattern for that? I recall a similar quilt pictured about a year ago on this forum but it wasn't exactly the same. I might have it in my clippings... I'll have to look for it.

Kate

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Ha! I should have known!! The other jigsaw quilt was made by you too, Toolgranny! Simply beautiful, both of them. Now I know what I'll make after I finish the Baltimore Album quilt.

Kate

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

The end of the month!! Finished BD blocks 2010 and have 7 packaged.
    Started on the Jan. project, it will take a while.
    Have Brown Bear top done but not sandwiched/ quilted.
    Progressing on the Star quilt but now quite 3/4 quilted, maybe 3/5 is closer.
    Have SS gift sent and working on ideas for others.
    November not a complete bust. Jayne

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!