Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
For all you featherweight fanatics

Posted by fran1523 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 9:45

I've spent Thanksgiving weekend in New York with my daughters. Last evening we were wandering through SoHo on our way to dinner and we passed this cothing store with, of all things, a whole window full of featherweights. I dragged her inside and lo and behold every wall was lined with Singer featherweight machines of many different styles and designs. I took a rough count and came up with about 800 sewing machines. The name of the store was All Saints and is a high end clothing store from the UK. It's on Broadway just below Spring St. DD took a picture with her phone and if she ever emails them to me I will post the picture but I can't guarantee that will happen. Anyway I talked to the greeter in the store and she said they have a full thousand machines in the store. I'm telling you it's almost worth a pilgrimage to NYC to see this...and they aren't even for sale.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: For all you featherweight fanatics

Oh, MY! But if they are not for sale...they won't be used. Such a shame to have all those FW that aren't allowed to do what they do best - sew a nice straight stitch while "ching-ing" along and looking so cute.

Teresa

o

Oh, the retirement she could have if she decided to sell them to those who could/would really use them! Kind of a shame they just sit there.

o
RE: For all you featherweight fanatics;;

Here's a picture of one wall. Maybe they are not all feather weights but just old Singers. I really don't know the difference. Thought it was interesting anyway.

Photobucket

o

Beautiful display Fran! Thanks for posting the picture.
These are lovely old Singers. Great picture!

o

WOW!!

o

I agree: WOW!!

o

Well, it gives me something to strive for. Imagine my sewing room wall looking like that. But, it is a shame they are only decoration. Lovely.

o

I bet most of them would start right up and sew a nice stitch, too!

o

Fran~this is just a neat picture. I keep coming back and looking ~ Thanks again!

o

I was watching a TV show just yesterday, I think it was
Bridezilla's & Someone was having a dress altered & I immediately recognized the decal on the machine & it was
a featherweight, I thought it was cool to see them using an old machine! Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here