Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fran1523

For all you featherweight fanatics

fran1523
12 years ago

I've spent Thanksgiving weekend in New York with my daughters. Last evening we were wandering through SoHo on our way to dinner and we passed this cothing store with, of all things, a whole window full of featherweights. I dragged her inside and lo and behold every wall was lined with Singer featherweight machines of many different styles and designs. I took a rough count and came up with about 800 sewing machines. The name of the store was All Saints and is a high end clothing store from the UK. It's on Broadway just below Spring St. DD took a picture with her phone and if she ever emails them to me I will post the picture but I can't guarantee that will happen. Anyway I talked to the greeter in the store and she said they have a full thousand machines in the store. I'm telling you it's almost worth a pilgrimage to NYC to see this...and they aren't even for sale.

Comments (10)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Oh, MY! But if they are not for sale...they won't be used. Such a shame to have all those FW that aren't allowed to do what they do best - sew a nice straight stitch while "ching-ing" along and looking so cute.

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Oh, the retirement she could have if she decided to sell them to those who could/would really use them! Kind of a shame they just sit there.

• fran1523
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a picture of one wall. Maybe they are not all feather weights but just old Singers. I really don't know the difference. Thought it was interesting anyway.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful display Fran! Thanks for posting the picture.
    These are lovely old Singers. Great picture!

• grammyp
    12 years ago

WOW!!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I agree: WOW!!

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

Well, it gives me something to strive for. Imagine my sewing room wall looking like that. But, it is a shame they are only decoration. Lovely.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I bet most of them would start right up and sew a nice stitch, too!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Fran~this is just a neat picture. I keep coming back and looking ~ Thanks again!

• easystitches
    12 years ago

I was watching a TV show just yesterday, I think it was
    Bridezilla's & Someone was having a dress altered & I immediately recognized the decal on the machine & it was
    a featherweight, I thought it was cool to see them using an old machine! Jill