Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

November, 2013 Quilting/Sewing Goals

It's countdown time for those of you who are making Christmas gifts! Luckily for me, I don't have anything in mind this year, but wish I could remember to make some fun pillowcases each month so I could send them up to the family....maybe next year as it's been awhile since I've done that and it's time the ones they have should probably be tossed. lol

I have a list this month that must be accomplished.
1. Finish Lucy's Pink Quilt (sandwich and quilt)
2. Finish the Cabin Warmer quilt (we've been invited for a week-end in December) (borders, sandwich and quilt)
3. Finish Abbi's boys quilts (bindings)
4. Work on something for Abbi's DH (?)

We're in the home stretch people, what's on your get up and at 'em list?

SharonG/FL

Comments (22)

• nannykins
    10 years ago

I have not touched my machine in a month! Yikes!
    I don't usually make goals for the month but I do have several tops that need finishing. I CANNOT start another project until they are finished. So that will be my goal. Wish me luck.
    Theresa

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I am going to set some real goals for this month - some are gifts.
    1. I destroyed my sewing / office room -- clean it up!!! That's about 10 goals by it self!
    2. I HAVE to make a block for Guild's raffle quilt this weekend!
    3. Some charity sewing for Guild.
    4. Label & Bind quilt for DH's Birthday quilt - his B'day was this summer :) I just finished quilting it.
    5. Label & Bind Winter Quilt - a gift to be given at Thanksgiving.
    6. Quilt a top made from Retreat 2012 - back is ready.
    7. Quilt a Winter theme quilt I made during this year's Retreat. I can't seem to decide on an easy design.

Sharon, An idea for Abbi's DH - I have recently made 2 very quick quilts using the Falling Charms tutorial from Missouri Quilts. It is now my "Go To Quick Quilt". Both of mine are masculine w/ a theme. Make it something of interest to him or manly, w/ a small amt of Military Sacrifice thrown - maybe from Abbi's quilt. He deserves a Quilty Hug!
    I made 1 in a weekend & that included pulling the fabric and cutting all of it. I have figured out the amts for the different sizes-let me know if you want the info.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

No Christmas sewing for me...I gave that up years ago! I realized I was spending 6 months making gifts for extended family and friends, and we all have so much stuff already!

So...

I received the QOV top about 10 days ago - haven't even had time to take it out of the envelope. That is first on my list to do this month - quilt and bind it and ship it off to the recipient!

Other than that - I'm taking a hand piecing class at QU that has 3 projects, so I will keep working on those in the evenings.

And I'm eagerly awaiting Bonnie Hunter's mystery which starts the day after Thanksgiving, so keeping up with that will be my December goal. :)

Donna

• calliope
    10 years ago

I have made massive strides on getting the office cleaned out, and the goal is to make it a bedroom again. It's been at least thirty years since it's been a bedroom, before it was my office, it was the upstairs salon or tv room. I have an antique iron bed to put in it, one of my treadle machines, and I have the floor down to the original wood planks, I shall just scrub the planks and put a braided rug down. There is a fireplace in it and it needs to be tuck pointed and a mantle put back up, so in the interim I would like to make a very large quilt and suspend it from the top of the fireplace stack to the floor and use it as a backdrop for the iron bed. I suspect that'll be my next quilting project.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marsha, I looked at the Falling Charms pattern and would appreciate what you have. It looks very easy and fast. Did you post a picture of the ones you made?

I have the backing washed, ironed and cut for Lucy's quilt and also have the first border on the Cabin Warmer and the second border ready. Now I need to rest and think about supper.....maybe a peanut butter and banana sandwich. :-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marsha, I have a few Falling Charm blocks put together and I really like it!! Thank you!

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Marsha, thanks for mentioning the falling charms...wow that does look so easy and quick.
    November goal
    1) two laps quilts, one for my niece and one for her husband who are both having the exact same back surgery on the same day, same doctor.
    I figure they will need to have their own lap quilts during recovery,
    If I get these two completed I'll be pleased as punch!

V.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I am making hand pieced saw tooth star 4" x 4" x 1.5" pin cushions for Christmas presents this year. Have cut fabric for the first 3, and started 1 of them today. I am piecing this first one at my desk today, which means I am little distracted by the computer/internet.

2ndly I would like to finish making crocheted ribbon bookmarks for my son's school teachers and school staff as their Christmas gifts. These have gone really well in the past and usually I get thank you cards saying they are using them in their Bible. I like giving a gift that will be used.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sewing goals for November would be to sew ANYTHING!

October was a mess getting my sewing room emptied for new carpet. Now I am putting everything back. DS's wedding is in 3 weeks. I need to sew something or lose my sanity.

I think I will have the block lotto for November and December as my goal.

We leave mid December for Arizona and Mexico and I won't be sewing again until late February. Yikes. Where does all the time go???

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The borders are on the Cabin Warmer, Lucy's Pink Quilt is sandwiched and the Falling Charms blocks are made. Plus, I did the dishes and made cheese bread today. Yup, I'm waaaaay tired.

Sue, I'm sure the wedding will go smoothly, because you are so organized. If Toby's going to keep hauling you around the country, I think you should get a larger RV so you'd have room for a sewing space. :-)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okee Dokee peeps.....the month is almost half gone! I know you're all furiously sewing (except for Beverly and she's allowed to nap this week away) as the holidays are closing in on us and we're starting to panic. At least maybe some of us are. Not me. Have decided to make some pillowcases as gifts for those we get together with and most of them are cut out ready to sew. Lucy's quilt has been mailed and I have started a backing for the Cabin Warmer. Thought I'd use up the rest of the plaids to get rid of them and then found another stack when I was looking for something else.......sigh. At least I can make the backing big enough to fit the quilt with all these pieces, but not sure I want to....will see.

How's everyone else doing?

SharonG/FL

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I just finished my 2nd pin cushion Christmas present and fixing to start hand-piecing a 3rd one. I would like to make 5 total for Christmas presents, but some of these projects are bound to end up on December's to do list.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    10 years ago

The QOV is going to the post office first thing this morning! My first hand piecing project is pieced (don't know when it will get quilted); we get instructions for the other 2 tonight.

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

1. I destroyed my sewing / office room -- clean it up!!! That's about 10 goals by it self! NOT DONE - some progress-maybe :)

2. I HAVE to make a block for Guild's raffle quilt this weekend! DONE & Turned in.

3. Some charity sewing for Guild. 99% DONE-need 30 minutes to finish.

4. Label & Bind quilt for DH's Birthday quilt - his B'day was this summer :) I just finished quilting it. NOT DONE

5. Label & Bind Winter Quilt - a gift to be given at Thanksgiving.
    NOT DONE - don't need Thanksgiving Day

6. Quilt a top made from Retreat 2012 - back is ready. Turns out it also needed the outer border - DONE

7. Quilt a Winter theme quilt I made during this year's Retreat. I can't seem to decide on an easy design. DONE-snowflakes won again -

Progress...............I need to keep going!

I would be completely thrilled if I got these all labeled and bound also this month.

Thanks Sharon for keeping me on track this month.

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

Although I was too chicken to say it here previously, I just finished the Log Cabin that I planned to give to DS at the end of the month for his B-Day!! Yay! It's labeled and in the dryer as I type. I spent most of the day yesterday sewing the binding to the back by hand, did it all in one day. I am free, no UFO's, clean slate all the way. (That's how I like it best.) The sewing room is already put away and neat and tidy. All I have to do now is think about what's next. I might do a couple of small projects for a break.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Rita, we want pictures! Enjoy your break. Sometimes you need to just savor that feeling of accomplishment.

I added one more goal for this month...after I make the 5 blocks I need to send off for group quilts, I'm going to finish the tiny tree quilt. It just needs a couple of borders and finishing. Then I'll really be ready to start Bonnie's mystery quilt on the 29th. :)

Donna

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I finished the top, Blowing in the Wind, and pieced the backing. Now I have to take my daughter to the LAQ and decide what type of batting and quilting she wants.

I have 135 of the 240 three piece "blocks" sewn together for the Chinese Coin quilts, and I bought the white background and orange and yellow backing for them.

I still need to make the November and December lotto blocks. I have a small evergreen tree paper-pieced holiday wall hanging that I'd like to try, but I doubt that it will be ready for this holiday, maybe 2014.

• polardream
    10 years ago

November & December lotto blocks done & mailed!

Pieced baby charity quilt - hopefully today will finish piecing the back and maybe get it basted.

Need to patch DH's quilt from his grandmother. Found some fabric that matches pretty well but that old fabric fades in the strangest ways. We use it all the time and it gets laundered often, so whatever I do will be fine!

Sharon, I did get a Featherweight, but this time we are flying to Mexico from Arizona so not taking the motorhome. Oh well ... I will get to do a little quilting stuff while we are at my mom's in Arizona. Usually I just cut several quilts for her and get them in bags with the patterns. She is a quilting fiend and does several a month for Project Linus. She doesn't like cutting (neither do I), but it helps her out.

Love that Falling Charms pattern - have added it to my "to do" list!

7 Days and counting to the wedding - next Saturday. Family starts to arrive on Wednesday. WOOHOO. Mostly ready.

Sue

• babushka_cat
    10 years ago

aiming to begin sewing the UFO quilt my mother left me in her will. this weekend the goal is to figure out how to use the sewing machine!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

QOV - done!

Blocks for group quilts - done!

Hand piecing projects - done! (Well, one is just pieced - won't get quilted for a while.)

Next up is to finish the tiny tree quilt before next Friday.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just might be able to get the Cabin Warmer done! I measured the backing and have fabric ready to make it larger.....hope to get it sandwiched by Saturday.

You girls are go-getters!!!

Just in case you haven't read Katie's latest blog: Heard the most awesome news today from my oncologist. They have used Dukes protocol (my treatment) on 6 other patients with brain tumors and they are doing quite well!! This is what it's all about. Thank you God for leading us to Duke and for the way you provide in ways were not even aware of!!

(Katie's oncologist is in Florida and had agreed to process the treatment that the dr's at Duke recommended for her)

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I would enjoying doing the quickie quilt, too. Would you mind sending me the measurements you put together, Marsha?

Sharon, that's such good news about Katie. Thanks for sharing. This Thanksgiving will be especially meaningful for you this year!