Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Scrap quilts anyone?

teresa_nc7
13 years ago

Recently I came across a nice blog with some great scrap quilt ideas. I especially like the Log Cabin in colors with the white sashing and the Fruit Stripe Gum quilt.

My guild wants me to do another scrap quilt class next summer and I could use some of your creative ideas if you would care to share them. I will, of course, give credit to you in the class and in the handouts.

Last time I taught this class I used Fran's 5 Across and 5 Down as one of the techniques.

Thanking you in advance!

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Mom Quilts blog

Comments (17)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Teresa, I was looking at the Log Cabin in colors yesterday and thinking I'd like to do that, except maybe not use exact LC design....just whatever the width of the strip was in rounds or courthouse steps or whatever and end up with a square. Another thought you might consider is the proverbial Crumb block and sash it via D9P like I did this one.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    13 years ago

Teresa, Quiltville.com has tons of scrap quilt patterns!

Donna

• imrainey
    13 years ago

I'll mention that book I just used again:"Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles" . It may be in a local library or your guild's library for you to check out. Or the link I provided is to Amazon where you can page though and see a couple different looks. In this book you will see how many very unique variations you can get from the same approach -- simple 2" x 3 1/2" rectangles.

I would think this would be wonderful for a class for a number of reasons: 1) everyone's tops would be so different; 2) they could come in with a wad of their scraps already cut and leave with a finished top; 3) with a lot of people's scraps to pull from, I would think the perfect scrap for everyone's top would be right there in that room; and 4) there are tops there for every skill level from the square-in-a-square bullseyes in my pink & purple top that only had to be matched at the junction of the opposite color outer squares to the green one that had a zillion rectangles to line up properly.

IF anyone in your class is interested in the book the authors go into a good deal of detail about how colors interact and which combinations make successful scrap quilts.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, the Fruit Striped Gum quilt was on another blog. Cheri has lots of good scrap quilt ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry House Quilts

• imrainey
    13 years ago

Wow! I love the Fruit Stripe Gum illustration. So vibrant with those bright colors but I can see it working just as well, altho with a very different effect, with Civil War reproduction fabrics. Or whatever everyone has in their scrap bags.

The only thing is when the blocks get trimmed and joined that's a ton of bias edges to match up. Is everyone in your guild ready for that challenge?

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Fruit Stripe quilt is done on a foundation - either thin non-woven interfacing or very thin muslin so the bias edges are not a problem.

Thanks for the book link, I'll check that out. I'm teaching many different blocks and scrap techniques in the class, not one block/go-home-with-a-quilt-top type of class. Last time I taught 9 different blocks/techniques.

Teresa

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought that book you posted about looked familiar, imrainey! I have that book! Might do the Bento block or another as part of my class.

Thanks for jogging my memory!
    teresa

• imrainey
    13 years ago

I hope it's helpful for your class or just helpful in general.

I had my copy for 8 or so years before I did a top. It's a very useful concept and the way they articulated working colors in a scrap quilt were helpful to me.

• magothyrivergirl
    13 years ago

This is one of my favorites. Lots of ideas - also click on Heartstrings in the lower left for more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxed squares

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whoa!! Thank you M-rivergirl! That is a terrific source for scrap quilts! I think I will definitely do the Boxed Squares and maybe another one on Mary's site.

Fantastic! Thanks!
    teresa

• karpet
    13 years ago

I thought this was a neat one with strips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas Quilt

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is a lovely Christmas quilt, thanks, karpet!

teresa

• rosajoe_gw
    13 years ago

Gorgeous scrap quilts!!! This nine patch is on my list.
    Rosa

Here is a link that might be useful: NinesandVines

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Teresa, I finished this one today.

SharonG/FL

• imrainey
    13 years ago

Fabulous, geezerfolks! That black just electrifies the colors.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! That's a zig-zag of a totally different color! Love it, Sharon!

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rainey. The black fabric has little shooting stars of all colors so up close it's really ideal for this quilt.

Teresa, I liked this layout best with the way the HST's turned out. Yep, big zigs and zags. FUN!!!

SharonG/FL