Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Will you have time to quilt or sew this holiday (US) weekend?

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I plan to spend time with my family and don't plan to do any quilting this weekend. My DD's due date is Dec. 4 and she has been having contractions for several days. We may be spending the holiday in the hospital! Happy Thanksgiving to all my quilting friends!
Linda OH

Comments (18)

• jackier123
    10 years ago

I plan to bury myself in my sewing room starting Friday morning and I may not come out until Sunday! LOL

Jackie

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

My FL family is coming for Thanksgiving. I spent yesterday cooking cookies and a Red Velvet Cheesecake. We had tornados and nasty weather, a tornado ruined three homes on our road about a mile from us.

Today I am last minute cleaning, like all of the powdered sugar I have all over the kitchen!

Maybe by Sunday I can embroider on my Snowmen.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
    Rosa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Rosa, Glad you're safe and sound and no damage at your place!

We plan to go to DD's in-law's (they invite us to every family event). It's especially nice this year as 1 of our FL granddaughters is bringing her soon to be DH and the other one is bringing her current.....who we are trying to like. And the DGS is bringing his SO. (Don't ya just love all those initials?) But, as soon as we get back home, and take a nap, I plan to be back at quilting the Cabin Warmer.

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Rosa, I'm so glad you are safe! How scary to have tornadoes that close!

Tomorrow we are visiting family in Lakeland. I took my pumpkin pie cake out of the oven a little while ago.

Friday I am doing like Jackie and hunkering down in the sewing room! Bonnie Hunter's mystery starts Friday and I can't wait!

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I hope to get a few more labels made -- I need to find an easier way to make labels!!! I find labels take too long and are stressful.
    I made a label for the quilt I made for my dog - just scribbled with a sharpie -- it looks okay but not gift worthy for a human who can read :) I like to machine sew 2 sides with the binding, so labels are holding up the bindings. I would really like to get 2 labels and work on bindings this long weekend.
    It is nasty cold and rainy here, but thankfully no ice.
    Rosa ~ Glad you are safe -- enjoy your family --

I'm going to follow Bonnie Hunter's Mystery--I just can't keep up! I applaud those who do ---- Jackie doesn't sleep --- she
    sews HST's methodically and is very organized!!!! LOL

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I plan to follow the Bonnie Hunter mystery too. I have selected fabrics from my stash and hope to catch up after the holidays. We'll see if that happens! lol
    Labels are not my favorite part of the quilt either. I usually do mine on my embroidery machine.
    Linda OH

• calliope
    10 years ago

Getting excited for you Linda and December is a great month to be born. My g'granddaughter's birthday is coming up on the 11th, and my son's on the 17th of December. Our anniversary is two days before Christmas. It's nice that the g'baby will be six or seven months old by the time hot weather hits, instead of a wee one who is hard to keep in cooler clothing.

Rosajoe, thankful you were spared in the tornado spree. Been there and done that with twisters hitting up the road.

I am missing my sewing room, but aside from mending the seam in my jammies, and making a new cover for a bed pillow the machine has been off since the Quilt was last weekend.

I'm getting itchy for sure, and a lot of my Christmas preparations are done, so I COULD be in my sewing room, but I have other projects and want to stew on ideas and let them simmer until after Christmas before I start in on another quilt.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I only wish...

Even if I weren't at dear sister's tomorrow for turkey, cleaning house (at least some) on Friday, cooking turkey dinner here on Saturday (maybe for one guest), and going to MIL's for a non-turkey family dinner on Sunday, I'd not be quilting.

I'm concentrating HARD on finishing 5 year old DD's counted cross-stitch Christmas stocking!! Seems by the time she's 5 1/2 she should no longer have to borrow mom's stocking!!

Bargello is calling to me every time I walk by the door, but it'll have to shut it's mouth and wait it's turn!!!

• jackier123
    10 years ago

In between making potato salad, pasta salad, 2 pecan pies, cranberry sauce, and getting the turkey in the smoker, I have managed to almost get the nine patch pizzazz quilt quilted. I just have 1 more crossing and it will be done! I am doing a detailed pantograph on it and it has been slow going. I have also gotten several rows of my Irish chain sewn together today. When Friday comes and Bonnie Hunter's Mystery starts, I will use the irish chain as a leader and ender even though I am actually sewing the blocks together. The whole quilt has been done as a leader/ender project. I used my small scraps to make the 4 patches and yardage from my stash for the background. I feel like it is a free quilt! The more I look at it on the design wall, the more I love it. I think this one will stay here with me.

Jackie

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Rosa...heaven blessed you are safe!

I'm joining Jackie and plan to be sewing most of the weekend....4 days! My Nov goals kinda-sorta fell by the wayside (two quilts for family who had surgery), so this weekend I will finish another item, the FMQ on a lap size Christmas quilt. I somewhat followed the modern trees design on Christa's quilt blog, and hope to complete it by Sunday. I did assemble one out of two tops I wanted to finish and may try to sandwich that one at some point.
    I need to get more realistic in the planning phase! So many I want to do...and so little time!
    Anyone planning to do some Black Friday fabric shopping?
    Enjoy your weekend!
    V.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Rosa, let me add my warm thoughts of relief for you. You look at the short distance between you and the tornado and feel so thankful.

The family doesn't mind if I run the sewing machine while they watch TV, so that will probably be the weekend routine in the evening. I'm piecing blocks for DD's Lotto winning quilt, but she knows I am doing it. The aprons I am making everyone will wait until next week when everyone is out of the house.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! This was starting out to be a crazy holiday.

DD and family was driving up from Orlando and called me that the transmission was going out. They were stranded in St. Augustine and it was getting dark and cold, at least they were able to make it to a rest area.

I was ready to drive the 3 hours to pick them up, but that still leaves the vehicle stranded, possibly to be stripped!

They were able to contact the repairman for a tow, and a friend picked them up so they could go back home, get the other vehicle, and start out again at 6AM Thanksgiving morning. They were only 30 minutes late for the meal!

The annoying part was the vehicle that broke down was my DD's 'critter van' (she has a zoo and does parties) and had just been picked up THAT morning from the shop to be repaired for what was still broken.

They arrived after only a few hours rest and were in a much better mood than I would have been under the circumstances lol!!!

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hope everyone else's was too!
    Rosa

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sounds like a busy weekend for so many of you!

Rosa, glad things worked out okay!
    Sharon, love the labels! Hope the one you are "trying to like" turns out okay or is out of the picture soon!

I went to Joanns today and bought some fleece for blankets for church. I am going to try to cut a quilt for friend for NEXT Christmas!

Family and friends are all gone now so I can now watch football and quilt and not feel guilty!

Sue

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

I haven't been motivated to sew for the last couple of weeks, and I do have some things I need to finish. I did spend 6 hours writing a sewing machine review for someone's blog... the thing was 9 pages in Word with a size 10 font if that tells you how ridiculously long it is... and that was before I took 36 pictures!

I may sew tomorrow, but cleaning off the cutting surface, ironing board, and sewing table are kind of putting me off of the idea!

Anyway, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and weekend!

• redmary
    10 years ago

Finished this--thanks Val for the suggestion!

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Bobby - just shove the mess aside and sew! That's what I'm doing :~).
    I got alot of sewing in this weekend. I made labels, cut & made binding and completed sewing the binding on 3 quilts this weekend. All I need to do is slip stitch the miters, sew the edges of the labels, wash them and they will be done!
    One more is quilted and ready for binding -- maybe this week.

Lindaoh~ I am sending good Baby thoughts your way!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Linda can tell you are so excited about your new grandbaby almost here. Rosa glad the tornadoes missed you. We had Thanksgiving meal at my parents' house the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Last week we traded in our old RV and bought a new one on the way to tour NASA and spend time visiting with friends. I did manage to hand-piece 1 granny square quilt block on the trip and made several crocheted/ribbon bookmarks which will become Christmas presents. Got home Saturday afternoon and have been doing laundry non-stop since then, have my last load in the dryer now - yay! Got my desk cleaned off this afternoon so hoping to start cutting fabric for some saw tooth star pincushions later this week for Christmas presents. I have not mailed out a single Christmas card yet, but have a good bit of the Christmas shopping done. I started knitting a scarf this afternoon for my brother, but don't think I will have it finished by Christmas, that may turn in to a b-day gift for him later in the year LOL or a gift for him for next Christmas. As fun as traveling is, it is nice to be home with all my belongs around me aka all my quilting stuff around me. Would like to get the Christmas tree up later this week or next weekend. M-I-L (who lives with us) and I are planning to drastically down-size the amount of Christmas decorations - not counting the tree I think we have like 10 or so boxes of Christmas decor - it's accumulated over the past few years and we just don't use it all and have so many boxes in the shed - can't find everything we like to use. Hope everyone has a good week.

Best to you,
    Sandra

This post was edited by quiltingfox on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 20:25

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No baby yet! On Thanksgiving Night my DD had contractions 4 1/2 minutes apart that lasted 2 1/2 minutes but then stopped later in the evening. We came home today but will go back when she arrives. We are also planning to go there for Christmas so they won't have to travel with a newborn.
    Since we arrived home this afternoon, I started cutting triangles for the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. We had a surprise when we walked in the house. Our refrigerator is dying and sounds like a motorcycle running in my kitchen. Guess what we will be doing tomorrow!