Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

Anyone working on Christmas sewing?

karpet
11 years ago

Here I am, past Thanksgiving, and I'm putting a queen size quilt top together that is to be a Christmas present. I have been good the past several years of putting the machine away after Thanksgiving, but I guess I'm back to sewing by the seat of my pants! Is there anyone else with me who is still furiously sewing away?
Karlene

Comments (20)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I've made 4 more fleece neck warmers in the last couple of days for my up north family and would like to make at least 4 more.....bringing the total to 20. I wanted to make some dish towels to hang from the oven door, but probably won't be able to.....maybe just one for my best friend in Michigan.

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I've started washing fabric today for two quilts for DDs for Christmas. I'm still new enough at this that each new pattern makes me a little nervous and I'm getting small stress headaches. LOL I only get them when I have stuff to do that I am unsure about (can you say unfinished stained glass kitchen door). Otherwise, I can handle a huge amount if I know what I am doing with no headache. I tell myself these headaches are just plain silly, but it doesn't seem to help. (Maybe I should have a glass of wine while I sew...hmmmm....I wonder if that would help.)

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

I am making quilts for everyone in the family except DH. I have 3 that only need the binding hand stitched. DS's is on the frame and DSIL's is still in the piecing stage. I'm waiting for DD to design the blocks for this and am getting anxious. I only have 2 blocks done. It is a Nintendo Zelda quilt that is made of 1 inch squares to look like pixels. I don't know enough about the subject to design them myself.
    This is the quilt she designed. The white lines are just to show me the grid and is not part of the quilt.
    Linda OH

• donna_loomis
    11 years ago

I am working on a reversible (apple pies on one side and solid red on the other) full apron and a couple of plumeria potholders (a La Todera pattern) for my daughter and a church lady apron (a Mary Mulari pattern and using the same material) and potholders for a gal at work to give to her new DIL, and as soon as I get those done I'm going to try my hand for the first time at making a quilt, albeit a tiny one, a crib quilt for my new great nephew.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

When I finish quilting and binding my GD quilt all 5 will be done and ready to wrap for my Grand kids. That is all I will do this year.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Linda...you are a true santa if you get that completed and under the tree by 12/25...do post pics, I'm sure it will be awesome!

I've made one small quilt for a gift and had enough fabric remaining to make a baby doll quilt. The only thing left to do is sew the binding on the baby doll quilt and quilt the lap size smaller quilt..with the weekends remaining, this should not be an issue (she's says confidently at the end of Nov...:-))

V.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Cute Linda!! I'm behind too! I really have to get busy, our fam party is Dec 15TH!!!!!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Linda, I bonded closely with my middle school son over Zelda 23 years ago. I know it well. I can't imagine sewing this, especially in time for Christmas. Good luck and please post pictures.

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

I should be working on the CW quilt. I am finishing up a few extra donation quilts for our Feb. Quilt Guild show. And I am intimadated by the Dec. Lotto block and have to get to it! Of course, I am loving Bonnie Hunter's QuiltCam at 9 pm a few nights aweek...I do get alot of sewing done white listening and watching her sew. Come join us on Fri night, I believe is the next one.
    Gwen

• karpet
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gwen - what is QuiltCam?

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Karlene - Bonnie Hunter has a quilt cam in her studio...www.quiltville.com. If you go to her site and scroll down about half way there's a link. So far I haven't "caught" her sewing. :)

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

I'm not planning any quilts this year for Christmas. Last year I made & gave away 11 quilts for Christmas presents ~ crazy! ~ but I am here to cheer everyone on!

I sort of miss that adrenalin rush of sewing for Christmas, as I made all my gifts for many years. Maybe next year....if I start now ~lol.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Marsha, I used to make gifts for all of our family & friends. I started in June! Then I realized I was spending half my year making gifts for people who have more stuff than they can ever use, so DH & I decided to make donations to charities in honor of our family and friends.

Now I make gift for special occasions, like babies or graduations, and an occasional birthday gift. Many of my quilts are given to charity. And if I'm showing something off and someone really likes it, I usually give it to that person!

Donna

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Donna, maybe you shouldn't mention that. Everyone is going to be beating down your door to "see" your latest creation.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

LOL, Bev! I haven't given that many away that way. There was one I gave to a coworker - I won the Oct block of the month at my guild and they were fall colors. I didn't care for the color scheme but my friend at work went on about how much she liked it so I gave it to her! Another was a George Siciliano miniature that I spent about a million hours on - emailed a picture to my sister who went gaga over it so I sent it to her. I have another George S kit to make which I am for sure keeping for myself! :)

Donna

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Here is the link to Bonnie's quiltcam. She mentioned last night that she would not be on tonight (Thurs.) but would be on Friday night at 9 and Sunday afternoon @ 2pm so the other quilters on an eariler time (Europe, Austraila) could catch it.
    If the link shows a black sq. screen, it means no broadcast at this time. Usually, she mentions it the day before....hope you enjoy it...Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's blog cam link

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

I'm not making presents for anyone but ran across a pattern for a snowman wallhanging that I couldn't resist so might be making something just for me. If it isn't done this Xmas, it might be for next.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Linda, I just showed my son your Zelda quilt and he loves it. He asked if I shared I was the first "kid" on the block to pass it. I said, no, I didn't want to embarrass myself. His friends would call we when they got stuck. LOL

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

Bev, you should make a Zelda quilt! I plan to do a tutorial on my blog with the Zelda quilt next year. I made a Mario quilt for DS.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mario quilt pattern

• bev2009
    11 years ago

I think I might have to make that quilt. I'm making a quilt for three daughters, I don't want to leave him out. He always felt left out when I would make the girls their dresses, etc, so I made him a pair of PJs when he was little. He's 37 now, but I think he would get a big kick out of it.