Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

My quilt group row quilt

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I belong to a small quilt group that meets at my church. We do several charity quilts each year. Our latest quilt is a row quilt to raise funds to help a friend with serious medical issues.
I usually quilt our projects and sometimes it can be a challenge to load it on the frame and quilt. When you have 10 or 12 sewing blocks, they don't always fit together very well. This quilt was our best quilt ever! It loaded on the frame nice and flat and was very easy to quilt.
Have any of you worked on group quilts? What have you experienced working with others on a quilt?
Linda OH

Here is a link that might be useful: Piecemakers Row Quilt

Comments (12)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very nice, LInda! I hope it raises lots of money.

I participate in group quilts on another online forum. We make "Quilty Auntie" quilts for forum members who have babies or grandbabies. We also make Quilts of Valor for service men and women known by members of the forum.

Sometimes I make blocks, sometimes I piece the tops, and sometimes I quilt and finish them. For the most part they fit together and are pretty square and flat, which I know from reading comments by others is a blessing! LOL

Donna

• bee0hio
    10 years ago

Lovely quilt Linda. I hope you sell lots of raffle tickets to help your friend. And someone will have won a beautiful quilt.

My guild has a splinter group that sews quilts for donating to Red Cross who in turn gives the quilts to local disaster victims. All guild members are encouraged to donate blocks towards our efforts. Usually there is a monthly theme, such as a color way or a style of block. We try to keep it simple as there are a wide variety of levels of expertise within the guild. That said, it is amazing how wide or how narrow a 1/4 inch seam can be, and the 12.5 inch block specification can range from 10.5 - 13.5 inches, or be more of a parrellogram than a square! It can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but we've learned to deal with it and still end up with beautiful quilts for someone who truly can be comforted by our efforts.

Nice that this beauty was an easy one to load & to quilt for you. I know it is appreciated when you don't have to spend time dealing with abberancies.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Having many people working on the quilt and having it come together so easily is certainly a commendation to your quilt group!! It looks great!! How much are the tickets?

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Our group has been together for 13 years. We all started out as beginners. We have made a lot of group quilts and this one fit together better than any other we have made.
    The tickets are $2 each or 6 for $10. We will draw the winning ticket on Dec. 19 to get it to the winner before Christmas.
    Linda OH

• lola99
    10 years ago

Great job Linda! It is so wonderful when it all comes together just like that. I hope you raise a lot of money.

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

That turned out very nicely. Was the patterned planned? I have never been a part of a group project but know that different "machines" can created many variations of the same thing. Your friends did a great job and I hope it brings in a lot of revenue for your project. Raffles often do. Good luck and congratulations.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pattern came from old McCall's Quilting magazines from 2005. Last summer I went through all my old quilting magazines and tore out patterns I wanted to keep. Our group had been saying they wanted to do another row quilt and when I saw the mystery quilt, I took it to the group. They loved the pattern so we divided it up and chose fabric from the group stash at the church. We also added fabrics of our own but we had a colorway to follow. We assembled the top at our weekly meetings when each person brought in the section they had made.
    We worked together on the braided border, cutting and sewing at a couple of our meetings. One person took it home and added the borders to the top. I then brought it home and quilted.
    Linda OH

• bev2009
    10 years ago

It is beautiful. I hope you sell lots of tickets. It's very generous of you to do all that work. The quilting looks great.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!
    LindaB/CA

• polardream
    10 years ago

That is just wonderful! I love row quilts but have never made one. Someday!
    Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I always think of Lindaoh when I hear row quilts. Her group made a row quilt when I first started seriously reading this quilt forum.

Your group makes such nice and generous quilts!

The Guild I belong to is very large and very generous. There is always on going projects for donation throughout the year. Last year (or maybe the year before) we made 50 quilts for older boys in the hospital. They were rows - fabric provided, or made from your stash - we turned in a sewn row of our design, and someone else would add another row - these quilts turned out amazing! I started a row using Star Wars fabric as the focus that Kay sent me when she was cleaning out her stash! It was fun to see what people made with the different fabrics, and easy to find time to sew a row or 2 to contribute. It was a good experience for me.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful quilt. TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra