Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmeow

Quilt U class project

msmeow
10 years ago

I am taking a hand piecing class at Quilt Univ. This is the second project. I assembled the block twice trying to get the center to match up, but this was the best it got.

I used a machine embroidered block on the other side.

Donna

Comments (9)

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh how sweet. I'd carry something like this proudly. I made my first purse last winter from some fabric I fell in love with and had been saving. It's not pieced, but I did bat and quilt it and made it from a pattern. It's not as easy as it looks. LOL. But mine turned out well (took me twice as long to make it as I had anticipated) and Iove it because I'm an active woman and hard on purses and it washes! I have had several compliments on it so far and I didn't expect that. I particularly like your machine embroidery.

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Donna I think your hand piecing looks great! I do a lot of hand work but the only thing I have hand pieced is a CW and GFG. Not large ones either.

Did you enjoy the class and do you think you will hand piece a quilt?? I remember your story about the CW, I think it was.
    Rosa

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ladies!

Rosa, I enjoyed the hand piecing. I have a CW kit I bought earlier this year that is pieced and appliqued and I want to do it all by hand. It's wall-hanging size, maybe 48" square.

Don't know if I'd ever hand piece a whole quilt again. My first quilt ever was a hand pieced and quilted king size log cabin variation. I still have it but don't use it b/c it's getting very worn.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Donna, that is certainly better than I would do! It looks great and your hand sewing looks like it was done on a machine from the finished side.... I know that doesn't sound like a compliment, but it really is! When I hand sew, you can tell! Stitches are crooked ans uneven and there are huge gaps between the stitches... not good.... Just thinking about hand sewing makes me want to hug my machines!

How do you interact with the teacher and other students in a QU class? I've never done one.... is it a live web cam type of thing?

The machine embroidery is awesome!!

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Donna, the bag is lovely! If the center bothers you at all, you could sew a button there.

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

It's so cute! I don't sew anything round unless I can applique it, at least that's my comfort zone for now. TFS!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Ok...I'm impressed with the hand sewing...your stitches are non existent, and on a curve ...wow....looks great! I hand the same thought as Bev...pop a button in the center, call it done. Like your birdie....very cute!
    V.

• msmeow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea to add a button! I'll have to check my stash. :)

Bobby, the lessons are written and posted weekly. There is a photo gallery where you can post pictures of your progress and a discussion forum where you can ask the teacher questions and chat with the other students.

This is their last round of classes. They are closing at the end of the year. It's sad - the end of an era!

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I'm going to miss their classes too. The only was that I was disappointed with, a machine quilting class, was because we were given so much material I didn't have time to keep up. It could easily have been divided into two separate classes.

All of the classes I had, all questions and comments were responded to by the instructor pretty fast. I felt like the classes were worth the money.

I haven't tried any of the craftsy classes, but some I've looked at were more expensive than QU.

I had wanted to take the hand piecing class, sigh!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts