Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

question about how to quilt this wall hanging...

vacuumfreak
10 years ago

I have an aunt whose birthday is in December and she's always loved teddy bears... when we were clearing out my grandmother's fabric, she noticed fabric that had some bears on it and went crazy over it, so I almost have to make something for her with it....

There wasn't enough to make a whole quilt so I just decided to do a wall hanging... a huge long wall hanging... the bears are about 14 by 9 inches each at their widest points. Her favorite color is yellow so I did yellow sashing... because of the way my grandmother cut the fabric to get to a heart that was in the middle of the bears, I couldn't just cut square blocks from the existing fabric... I had to cut each bear out and "applique" it onto a background piece of fabric. I just used permanent heat and bond because I wasn't about to machine applique each bear individually!

Anyway, I'm planning to stitch in the ditch and I've never done it before so I was wondering if I should sew all the way down the sides (the vertical lines) and then go back and do the horizontal lines, or if I should stitch in the ditch in a rectangle around each bear? What do you think?

Also, I have one machine that I have a walking foot for and another that I have a stitch in the ditch foot for... which do you think would be better? I think the guide on the stitch in the ditch foot would be helpful, but the walking foot is good for getting all the layers through evenly, so I'm really at a loss as to which one to use!

It's pretty much done... it's going to look like this except for the quilting and maybe a dark brown biniding (which I'll machine stitch... I want to put as little work into this as possible... it's my least favorite aunt anyway LOL)...

Thanks for any tips :o)

Comments (2)