Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless1959

What do you do when just not happy with a project?

clueless1959
13 years ago

5 yrs in the making an I just not happy with it. Yet this is not just any quilt it is special to me for several reasons.

1. The big blocks are from material a very special great aunt had in her things when she died an she would be very pleased that I chose her material for my gsons quilt.

2.My mom cut the quilt blocks this is the babys greatgrandmother.

3. I enlarged clip art pics to fit on puter paper traced then ironed the pics onto blocks then outlined with the ball point paints, filling in small details here an there.

4.My youngest daughter drew the small pics for the small blocks freehand an I painted them same as the big blocks.

5.My other daughter (babies mother) laid out the quilt blocks the way she wanted them.

6. gsons older brother has quilt just like it just set together with different color..

WHY am I not happy

1. The material my daugher picked for backing is very cheap material that will not last very long I told her that up front that it was not what we wanted she liked the material an wanted it used anyway.

2. My mother was almost blind when she cut the blocks an none of them are square...same with the other quilt they was all cut at the same time. Mom thought she could do this but well..... I just did not realize how poorly mom was seeing at the time an she really really wanted to help with the quilts.

Comments (7)

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

You have all of these memories and help from all of these loved ones who helped in big ways and little ways. And since you allowed all of these folks to contribute to this project, you need to not take ownership of it. You are more of a steward of it. If I were you, I would document everyone's part in this quilt and give it to the mother in safe-keeping along with the quilt. Ask her to give it to her son when he is old enough to cherish it and the group efforts of all of these wonderful people - including yourself. I'm sure that if the child is raised right he will overlook any faults the quilt might have and appreciate the thoughts and loving efforts behind it.

• toolgranny
    13 years ago

I agree with Rita.

Can you square up the blocks your mother cut before you piece it or is it too late? Making them a tiny bit smaller shouldn't matter that much.

• nanajayne
    13 years ago

There are too many memories to not finish this. I think all the problems can be worked through. If the backing is too flimsey you could back it with a lite wt. interfacing for more strangth. A fuseable knit might work. A tiny sashing can sq. the blocks. Think it through and I know you can make it work. Good luck. Jayne

• petalpatsy
    13 years ago

The wonky blocks are a feature, not a bug. Wonky love is precious. The cheap material...well, that's another thing. A five year project deserves a soft, quality backing. Is there anyway you could use good backing, and maybe use the other just as a interfaced strip at the top for "turn down" show? For a kids blanket, it wouldn't hurt for a top strip to be interfaced for strength no matter how high a quality backing you use.

• clueless1959
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone I finally got the quilt all stitched together yesterday. Just a matter of trimming the batting a bit an rolling the edge an stitching now.

Did I mention I also moving, trying to get this project done before we pull out on Tues the 30th...the finishing of the quilt will give me something to do once my books an puter are packed. If I don't get it all done I'll have a few days when I back at Christmas.

• clueless1959
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was to far into the project to take it all apart an square up the blocks so I finished it the way it was.

Good idea about documenting the history behind the quilt I've wanted to do that from the begining, my mother writes beautiful poetry an I'd like it in poem form written by her.

So it's not perfect it will not fall apart like the quilt did made by another great aunt.

• Freda
    13 years ago

I think the uneven blocks adds to the quilt because its a memory of great grandmother but then I'm sentimental. I still have the baby hand print of my oldest granddaughter on a mirror in my spare bedroom when she visited at a year old. Son held her up to the mirror and she put her hand on it. She is 5 yrs old and the mirror still hasn't been cleaned!