Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? Oct. 25-27

lindaoh_gw
10 years ago

I hope to get back to my machine this weekend. I haven't sewn all week. I am co-chair of the October cooking committee at church. We serve lunch to the Rotary Club every Tuesday. A friend and I co-chair the Feb. and Oct. committees. It takes a lot of time and energy to plan, cook, and serve the meals. We have one more week and then I hope to be able to stay home and sew.
I have the quilt for DD's baby shower loaded on the frame and plan to finish it this weekend.
Are you quilting or sewing this weekend?
Linda OH

Comments (25)

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Linda, it must be rewarding to cook and serve like that, even if it is a lot of work!

I don't know if I'll be sewing or not, I'm mad right now! A friend's brother asked me to fix a button on his works shirt, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do a youtube tutorial on how to sew a button by machine... I'm sure there are already some out there, but I wanted to do it for my specific machines.

Well... I got the plastic storage box out that has all the extra presser feet so I could get the button attaching foot out and then placed it behind the machine. Decided I needed a lamp and went to plug one in... as I was moving the lamp into position, I knocked the stupid accessory case off the back of the desk. Everything in the storage case fell on the floor and the corners of the storage box that have the holes the doors attach to broke off... I have the superglue drying now because a new case is 50 bucks and it will probably just happen again!

I never even finished the video because when the case fell I let out a yelp and I think I said a dirty word... I don't think they allow that kind of language on Youtube LOL I should post it anyway and just put it under the category of comedy instead of education!

The same thing happened at the retreat last weekend... I'd just arrived and put the rolling tote on the table to get my machine out... I unzipped it and then a woman came over to proudly show me what fabric she was using and see what I was using... it took my attention for a split second and the plastic Bernina accessory storage box went crashing to the floor... presser feet and bobbins skittering across the room. I let out a blood curdling yelp (way too loud for 7:30 AM... at least I woke up anyone who hadn't had their coffee yet) and checked the damage... nothing broke that time and at least the machine didn't fall, can you even imagine!?

I've half a mind to just buy (or make) a zippered pencil case for feet and bobbins and throw these bulky, cumbersome storage boxes in the trash!

So,I may not sew this weekend, I may need a break!

I hope everyone has a great weekend, sewing or not!

:)

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I'm not sure if I'll be sewing or not, but I do have plans to attend my guild's quilt show on Sunday afternoon (without kids!) lol.

Today I'm taking the two older girls to the Washington International Horse Show!, and then a busy scout schedule through Saturday night. Sunday will be the show and baby shower planning at my MIL's house.

I'm currently stumped on a bargello UFO that is on the design wall. It seemed so easy when talking to the UFO friend and looking at the ones she already did, but when I look at what I have to work with in the project, I get brain freeze. Once I get it all laid out, the sewing part won't be so bad. Might look at that more this weekend.

We're just barely above freezing temps this am...33 degrees! Close to freezing each night this weekend, with quite chilly temps during the day (by some standards!). Keep warm and enjoy the fall weather, everyone!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Bobby, I have some of EB's Still Strippin' small zippered bags if you'd be interested in using those for your accessories. Email me your address and I'll send you a couple. At least when you knock them on the floor, they won't scatter. :-)

I plan to sew the binding on the Winter 9-Patch Pizzazz, get the backing washed for Lucy's quilt and hopefully sandwiched. Seems like there was something else I wanted to do but can't think of it....oh well, I can always find a UFO to do something with. :-) A quilting friend knew of a quilter who was downsizing her business and said she'd check out the patriotic fabric for me. Quilt shop quality fabric at $4 a yard! So, I need to get that total of 23 yards washed, too. So much for not buying anymore fabric, but I was getting low on reds and blues. Since that segment on NBC aired, QOV has been inundated with requests and are screaming for more quilts. I might just make some Rail Fence blocks for a quick top.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, you need Velcro on your storage case! And a strap to keep it closed. I'm sorry it broke this time...I hope you can get it fixed.

Yes, I am sewing! I have all day Sat. and almost all day Sun. We have to attend a dinner at church Sun. evening. I only have 5 more tree blocks to make! I have 2 or 3 other projects that probably should be done first, but I would really like to get those trees done.

Donna

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Earlier in the week I transplanted pansies in a flower pot out the back door of my laundry room aka sewing room, now I just need to get a new rain gauge for the flower pot. Our high today was 72*F with lows in the 50's. Saturday night is suppose to get down to 41 for nearby town of Alexandria so may dip in to the 30's here. I went outside at noon in shorts and flip flops to transplant some succulents for my favorite S-I-L and it was a bit chilly in the shade. I finished knitting a scarf for my dad for Christmas this week, already had a pink one made for my mom. I got about 3 granny square quilt blocks hand pieced this week which is not very many and plan to make more this weekend. Tomorrow I plan to cut grass in my flowerbed, bag up Rose of Sharon seeds to winter-sow this December, and continue to make crocheted / ribbon bookmarks for Christmas presents for my son's school teachers, and I have a few more plants to transplant. Maybe will get to squeeze in some time to read some of my Elm Creek Quilts novel. Pretty good week so far and looking forward to this weekend. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• calliope
    10 years ago

Oh yes.........the cold weather has me inside and nesting. I've been upstairs in this old house for several days working a bit on a new (and unplanned) quilt and FINALLY getting about wrapped up clearing my old office of mountains of papers and records accumulated over ten years. My husband and I have been signing up the last couple years to buy Christmas for a child in a children's home in Mexico. I asked hubby to pick out an older girl (the children there range in age from toddlers to young adults reaching their majority) and figure I have enough time to use some of those quilt blocks I'd been making daily into a single bed sized quilt and get it sent. I wanted something very personal they could take with them when they set out on their own to remind them that people care.

• lindaoh_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I quilted the baby quilt today. I plan to add the binding tonight. I also quilted 8 place mats. I will post pics when I finish the bindings.
    Linda OH

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Wow, Linda, and the weekened hasn't even officially started yet!

Sharon, that is really sweet, thank you... I'll send you an email later when I get hold of a real computer again.... I'm on my phone at work now (which probably means this will get posted about 15 times). By the way, the idea of a FL get together is intriguing to me, if we can get everyone's schedules to mesh.... I've met several ladies from the cooking forum before and we always have a blast!

What does it mean when you start having dreams (nightmares) about sewing?

I had a dream that my aunt got the same machine I have but it was a few years newer (and she doesn't even sew).... and hers had the BSR and she only paid 20 bucks for it (and I'm still making payments on the personal loand I took out to buy mine!)... she was having trouble threading it and it was because she had the cutwork needle installed (and the machine is too old to even do cutwork) and she asked me to help.... I was so jealous I woke up in a cold sweat!

Aaaaahhh! LOL

• bev2009
    10 years ago

I have an all day conference tomorrow and dinner/Bible Study here Sunday night, but in-between, I plan on working on DD's Princess Lea costume, sewing together the depression blocks I won in Lotto awhile back, and making two Lotto blocks for this month (they are already cut out). I've already cleaned house and made the food for Sunday so this should be doable.

• ritaweeda
    10 years ago

I hope so - I'm in a slump - I've got the room all straightened out from the plumbing tragedy and all and I can't seem to get in gear to finish FMQing this log cabin. What is wrong with me? When the room was trashed I wanted to do it, now I don't. :(
    I'm beginning to think I don't like FMQing.

• redmary
    10 years ago

Halloween costume for the niece out the was. Check.....used two large panels to make festive Octoberish pillow cover last night. Check....need to do some housework on Sat.....those darn dust bunnies snuck in while at work again this week. Ugh! Maybe tomoorow I can play in the sewing room....that mystery quilt....hmmmm..

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

The volunteerism of this group is wonderful. I should finish some UFO's for something like that.

Love the pillow cover. Very cheery and bright.
    LindaB/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I did a little piecing a granny square quilt block last night. Today the weather was nice and at noon in the mid-60's so I got the grass cut in my large back yard flowerbed. Then crocheted 1 ribbon bookmark and started a 2nd one. Then this afternoon I pruned all the smaller limbs off of my white orchid tree aka monster bush. It got to 83*F mid-afternoon a little hot while working in the garden. It's been productive day so far. :-) Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

I started a flying geese quilt last weekend and spent 4 hours in my gazebo today working on it. I'm making it from a stack of fat eighths of Japanese fabrics I got in Toronto earlier this year. I really hope it doesn't become another UFO...

Faye

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

The reds and blues have been washed and folded and the binding is on the Winter 9-Patch Pizzazz. Whoopee another UFO completed!!! Not sure what I'll work on next, but it isn't because there aren't any tops here in various stages of completion. :-)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I am quilting my 2nd quilt for this week - hope to finish it tomorrow if I can squeeze in an hour or so. That will be 3 quilts in about 10 days I have gotten quilted -- one for a very special friend! Binding will be next-and I will finish these soon!
    Sharon, I can't wait to see the binding you chose for the 9PP.

Mary~really cute pillow - great idea to use a holiday or special occasion Panel. Thanks!

Everyone is so busy -- it is good to find a few minutes each day to sew in our hectic lives. I know I feel better when I do.

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Glad everyone is getting so much done... Mary, I love that pillow cover!

My best friend called to ask if I wanted to go to the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot... I didn't! He said, "Let me guess, you've been in front of your sewing machine all day, haven't you?" I said, "No, smarty pants... I've been hand sewing binding all day!" I miss the machine... Wish there was a way to sew binding by machine and have it look OK. Donna have you started your binding sewing service yet? LOL

I'd have gotten more done, but the cat kept getting in my lap on top of the quilt and falling asleep and I didn't want to disturb him to move the quilt because he looked so sweet....

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Cute pillow Mary....

No sewing for me this weekend....:-( but I have been shopping for sale fabrics in consideration of the BH mystery quilt...that counts, doesn't it?

Marsha...you are one busy lady...do post pics, you do such lovely precision piecing and quilting...l wanna see!

Same to Sharon and Faye...pose pics!

Bobby, I do my binding on the sewing machine now, stop the hand sewing. I watch a Missouri Star binding tutorial and since then, I've only done the machine ... Works great, especially for a Bernina or any machine with lots of built in decorative stitches. Check it out...

Enjoy the rest of your weekend ...
    V.

• chickie1
    10 years ago

I had planned to sew together the last 4 blocks for a quilt I'm making for my daughter's MIL and finish quilting my sister's quilt. ( both Christmas gifts). Friday night my sister invited me over for dinner - hubby out of town so I went. Worked Saturday and hubby got home and we went to dinner. Good news - didn't have to cook both nights. Bad news - no quilting. Hoping to finish up the 4 blocks tonight when I get home from work. So I've moved all my plans to Tuesday, my day off.
    Darlene

• jackier123
    10 years ago

Spent some of yesterday shopping my stash for Bonnie Hunter's coming mystery. Didn't get any sewing done as I had to make an emergency run to Krispy Kreme Donuts in Chattanooga. LOL This morning I have cut out fabric for 3 casserole carriers. I am making these as Christmas gifts. I plan on sewing on these and switching out with quilting a gift quilt that I have on the frame.

Jackie

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Bobby, our cats do the same thing! Mark has a photo on his phone of me attempting to hand quilt in a large hoop on my lap with George lying in the middle of it.

I've been diligently working on these tree blocks. Only ONE more to go! WOOHOO! After that I need to whip up a pillow, then I hope to have some time today to start on my QU hand piecing lesson.

Donna

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Bobby, I do miss the Food and Wine Fest at Epcot!!!

Finished Halloween costumes, completed crocheted afghan for Christmas, fam reunion is over, dishes need to be washed and put away.

Soooooooo, I'm, going to work on my last panel for my quilt and watch TV with hubby!

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Rosa, the F&W Festival has kind of turned into the "Drink as many 2 ft tall glasses of beer as you can" festival. Last time we went (2 yrs ago, I think) the crowd was so drunk and obnoxious in the middle of the afternoon that we decided not to go any more.

Donna

• vacuumfreak
    10 years ago

Valerie, I tried doing the binding by machine in the past, but I didn't like the way it looked.... I only used the straight stitch though (but the machine had 294 stitches.... I don't even know how many the Nina has).... Maybe I'd like it better with decorative stitches. I should google some pictures of binding with decorative stitches and see how they look...

I just don't like crowds and lines so that is the primary reason I avoid going to the Food and Wine Festival... it was fun the first time!

For anyone who follows Bonnie Hunter's blog, did you see that beautiful vintage two tone New Home Paragon straight stitch machine that one of the ladies who took her class had? It was one of the most beautiful machines I think I've ever seen!

I think I've really got quilt fever now because I'm starting to notice quilt patterns in floor tiles!

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I have had a very relaxing day. Bagged up Rose of Sharon seeds for winter-sowing and made some more crocheted/ribbon bookmarks for Christmas gifts. This evening we took M-I-L out to eat Mexican food for her birthday and was a nice outing. My son does not have school tomorrow which is parent-teacher conference day at school and he is doing well enough that we do not have to have a conference with his teachers, so yay! my weekend is extended by 1 day. Really enjoying my weekend. Seems like everyone is enjoying their weekend and am glad to hear that.

Best to you,
    Sandra