Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In your opinion

Posted by Gracecreates (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 23:27

Hi, I am new to this forum, but it seems great. I am trying to make a quilt for my mom, and add my own flair to a pattern I first made a paper pieced wreath with really tiny tiny pieces all bright colors on a white background. that was the pattern. Obviously 14 1/2 inches does not make a twin size quilt. So I added a log cabin around it in the same bright colors and every other row white. I also made four basket blocks with the same color scheme for each corner and plan on making some sort of simple blocks for the remaining area of the quilt. I am unsure if this will all go together, because the log cabin and wreath are really small pieces of fabric and the basket is larger pieces of fabric. Do you all think mixing these blocks in one quilt would work well and be pleasing to the eye. Thank you Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In your opinion

Hi Grace and welcome to the forum. I'm a visual person and usually have to see things in order to give my opinion which often isn't worth a whole lot anyway. You're in good company around here if you're putting your own spin on a pattern! Most of us usually do something to a pattern to make it 'ours' or do something outrageous that just screams to be done to a quilt we're working on.

It sounds like you will end up with a sampler quilt and there are numerous ways of making one, plus even having the blocks various sizes. Quiltville has a ton of information and it's fun to browse through the site. I made my mom a lap quilt similar to Bonnie's Random Ohio Star pattern. Good luck......

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiltville - Bonnie Hunter

o

Grace, it sounds like you're making a great quilt, keep going! I think it'll look fine since you're keeping it well-balanced by mixing in similar colors to all the different blocks, and that you're keeping the different blocks symetrically centered. I think you're going to surprise yourself with this quilt. Don't forget to post pictures!
Have fun!

o

Welcome! I noticed your post on the Thimble Lady thread; it's always good to see a new forum member.

As long as your colors are relatively consistent, you can do anything with shapes and sizes. If it pleases you, then go for it.

Post a picture! Let us see these tiny, tiny pieces! (If you aren't sure how to post pictures here, let us know and we'll provide instructions.)

Kate

o
photo posting

Grace,
Here's a link to a post on the Conversations page where I gave instructions for inserting pictures.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Photo Posting Instructions

o

Thimbleberry designs does it all of them time and it looks great!!!!!

Welcome to the forum!
Rosa

o

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. It's really nice being part of this forum. Right now I feel as if life is giving me scraps in many personal area's. I am trying to stay positive and when life gives scraps as they say make a quilt. and look along the way I found some really great people. Grace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here