Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Children's gifts - I spy/matching game

Posted by new2quilting (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 23:24

I made a set of I-spy/matching/memory game cards for a toddler from fussy cut fabric scraps. I have a lot of fatquarters I've picked up or received on quilt runs, so I cut my pieces 4" so that I could make 10 pairs (20 cards) with one FQ. I've seen these done with wool backing or intricate cutouts, or sewn RST and turned inside out (which I tried on another set and found it fiddly). For these I sandwiched batting and sewed around with a generous 1/4" and then trimmed with a crimped rotary blade. The only thing I might do different is square up so they are all exactly the same size, but the little one I gave these to doesn't mind.

The game can be played many ways, identifying the object, placing cards right side up and finding pairs, placing cards face down and remembering where the matching pair is, etc. The one I gave as a gift I tied with a ribbon and gave an instruction tag. A drawstring pouch would be cute as well.

Anyone have any other fun children's gifts they've made from fabric?

Here is a link that might be useful: I spy matching game tutorial/turned edges

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Children's gifts - I spy/matching game

I made a checkerboard/backgammon game quilt for a raffle at work. It could be used for kids games

Christmas quilt checkerboard side

Christmas quilt backgammon side

I have also made play quilts for my grandsons. It has Thomas the Tank Engine on one side, and a city scene on the other

Play Quilt

Play Quilt Construction Side

I have also made some I-Spy quilts

I-spy

Max quilt front

Photobucket

beverly

o

Those are all great! Did you serge around the playmat or is that a thin binding? I never think to do an I-spy as a rag quilt, that would make a cute placemat as well.

--Amy

o

Thanks Amy, the play quilt has satin stitch around it. They boys came in and wanted it "right now" so I just quickly stitched around and it has held up for 6 years and 2 boys now.

The first I-spy has a fleece backing. The others have denim on the back. One is ragged to the I-spy side, the other to the denim side.

beverly

o

new2quilting
grat idea and loved your tutorial !!

o

What great ideas! A whole new inspiration!
V.

o

Here's a crayon/coloring bag I made using the Moda Bakeshop tutorial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda Bakeshop Child's Activity Bag

o

Amy, I love the memory game. Thanks for the suggestion. I think its a good break to do a small project in between large quilts.

o

I agree Bev. I would love to be able to complete quilts, but am only able to do smaller projects right now. I can cut one night, sew another (and possible another to finish) and have something to show for it. I also am enjoying my BOM blocks for the same reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here