Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

My Giant Ironing Board

K8Orlando
9 years ago

A regular ironing board just isn't big enough for a quilter, right? I know many of you have covered boards and found other creative ways to find a bigger space when you need it. I was getting ready to add sturdier legs to my cutting table when I realized it would be a perfect ironing board! 4 legs from IKEA and 2 yards of ironing board fabric from Joann's - and I have a better cutting table AND a giant ironing board. Don't know why I didn't do this a couple years ago when a got the table. When it's a cutting table, I'll keep the ironing board fabric rolled up and out of the way.

Of course, the table is usually much messier than this!

Kate

Comments (21)

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Pretty clever, Madam!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I love it when something serves more than one purpose! Good job. I've been wanting to get some of that ironing board fabric and recover my big board. Guess a trip to Joann's is in my future.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

That works perfect for your space....really like the ironing board fabric, I see a trip to Joann's in my future.
    V.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Very clever, Kate. And I really like your floating ruler shelves too.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

You don't think that the heat of the iron will reach through your ironing fabric and warp your cutting board? Or do you plan on sliding out the mat before ironing?

Jen (who would hate for you to ruin your mat if you didn't think of this)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to be cautious, Jen. I think it will be ok though. I bought the thickest ironing fabric and will remove the cutting mat at the first sign of heat stress.

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I am concerned about the same thing as Jen. I would remove the cutting mat before ironing.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Great idea, Kate! I have one of those drop-leaf cutting tables from JoAnn's and I have an ironing cover for it, too. I don't use it that often, but it sure is handy when I need it!

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

I have the same set up. I don't use my ironing pad on the cutting mat though that is why I made the pad. I used my ironing pad for classes and workshops with my quilt group.
    Linda OH

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I love twofers, but do hope you are careful with the cutting mat. I have been known to put my mat on top of my ironing board cause the height is perfect.

beverly

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I do too Beverly. Just the right height.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You all have me so freaked out about melting the cutting mat that I had a dream about it last night. In the dream I was testing out the ironing pad but realized I left the iron in place too long! I peeled back the pad to reveal a huge bubbling burn mark in the shape of... Sunbonnet Sue!!! Aaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!!

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

Oh no!! Not Sue! lol

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Kate! You're a hoot!!!! LOLOLOL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You think I'm kidding? Sue is TOAST!

(OK, OK, I am kidding. But if she was toast this is what she would look like.)

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Kate, you are too much. This is just what retreat is like every day.

beverly

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

K8, I'm sure Jen would be happy to share her an extra SBS, just in case you need to destroy another!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I might have a few who'd like to see sunny Florida! I'd be happy to send them down for a vacation.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Now, Kate......if you could just tell me how you keep your cutting/ironing table soooooo uncluttered???

When I need to cut, I have to shuffle fabrics, batting, WIPs, totes still packed, extra rulers, tape measures, etc. etc. just to have a little space to cut. The cutting table is indeed a catch-all......

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Teresa, I had to clean it off so I could tip it over and add the new legs! My entire kitchen table is full of the stuff I moved off of it. It is a catch-all but I'm going to try to keep it clear enough to finish a couple projects. Really. It's a plan.

• wendyfaye
    9 years ago

Hahaha!