Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

6 years, 10 months and 22 days

grammyp
10 years ago

till I can retire! Starting my countdown clock.

beverly

Comments (14)

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

You'll be amazed how fast it flies by. When my husband and I reached our chosen date, I was almost afraid to stop working and reduce our income.
    Hope things go well for you
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Work going that bad, huh? that you need to start counting now? i'm so sorry.

hang in there! It's not too far away! I wonder if you can get a ticker for your emails/etc. that extends that far out.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Lucky you! I can't even see that carrot to dangle it in front of me. And now, I seem to be getting a headache almost everyday I'm at work.

Hang in there and don't let the "turkeys" get you down!

Teresa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Wow! Counting the days already?

My boss recently asked me if I had thought about how long I was going to keep working. Honestly, no. I guess I figure I'll have to work till I drop. LOL She's my age (52) and is thinking about retiring in a few years.

Donna

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I'm laughing because I stopped in to the forum this morning to catch up on the news and saw this post immediately! I was on a plane Wednesday coming back from a conference and even tho it was a very good trip, I was calculating days to retirement. I even found an app for my phone that will give me a running countdown whenever I need it!

5 years, 3 months,16 days.
    OR....
    1,274 work days (subtracting days for weekends, Holidays and vacation)

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Teresa, Something needs to change at your workplace if you're getting headaches......seriously! That isn't good!

Retirement is a good thing for people who have hobbies and don't need other people around them all the time. I thank God every day that Clay has been able to enjoy his 16 years of retirement and I've enjoyed almost 8 years. Nothing beats being able to lay in a warm snuggly cozy bed on a cold morning and know an alarm clock is not going to cause a ruckus. Plus, planning all those quilts you 'think' you'll get done! LOL

Someone needs to add a few rooms onto their house for a B&B or for a few quilters at a time to have a retreat or have a campground with a big clubhouse for quilters. Could have a church group of ladies cater the meals.......a bunch of wishful thinking goes on, eh? Happy retirement to all of you when you get there. :-)

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, work is going that bad. My 12 hour days have turned into 15 and we won't even go into the new equipment install.

But I am off for the weekend and today is the grand's birthday party, then I get to quilt cause I will be home alone!!!

beverly

• wendyfaye
    10 years ago

I'm hoping its more like 5 years for me. I really need to pick a date and start a countdown.

Faye

• amazingcm
    10 years ago

128 more school days... But who is counting.. It is time.. YEAH...

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I hear ya Beverly, been there, done that! I would walk all the way around the building to slink in a back door that was a long way from my office just to miss the gang hanging out by the front door.

We had two people fired for violence in the work place in a time frame of six months. When they notified us by email that our office was being closed things got worse. A coworker going through a divorce was jealous of his separated wife's dating and bludgeoned her to death.

I was offered a job in Alpharetta and hubby was ready to move. I told him I just can't do it any more, the stress from relocations, mergers, hostile work conditions ..........

I took early retirement (which comes with a cut in pension), deferred my pension for 3 years, worked at Disney for 3 years, and never looked back!

I have passed the teaching certs and had planned to teach BUT once you get out of the politics it is so peaceful lol!

Best wishes for a tranquil six years Beverly!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosa, I feel better now. The worst I have is a boss who plays politics and equipment failures. Things could be much worse.

beverly

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Wow, Rosa! No wonder you left.

i had a job where my main goal every day was to avoid the boss's wife. She was the bookkeeper (theoretically). Her routine was to show up for work around 10:30 or 11 am then leave around 3 pm. My office was in a different building so I made sure any trips I had to make to her building were early in the morning!

She cornered me one day and screamed at me for 15 minutes about something that wasn't even my responsibility to do. A few months later my boss (who I adored) was forced into retirement and I left right after he did.

Donna

• loisflan
    10 years ago

I haven't calculated the number of days, but my retirement date is on my 70th birthday, November 16, 2014 - just over a year away. About 2 or 3 years ago, I thought I would never make it, but things got better, and I'm fine with working now. My boss, for whom I had worked for 40 years, was becoming demented and was still trying to work. That was really hard. He finally got so bad that he had to retire, and then his son took over and things are pleasant again. I plan on taking a lot of vacation this year and working only 4 days a week next summer. I can do this! And I can't wait!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lois, you are almost there!! You can do it girl.

beverly