Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fun and FINALLY Done!

Posted by k8orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 23:19

The Fun & Done (quilt as you go) picnic quilt is finally done. These things are supposed to be quick and easy but I started this one 2 years ago. I'll never do another. I got bored with the QAYG squares and abandoned them, just adding a large quilted border to get it to the size I wanted. I have to admit, as much as I didn't like the method, I ended up really liking the quilt! I'm calling it "Magic Carpet".

It had it's successful debut this evening at an outdoor jazz/blues fest at our local botanical garden (Leu Gardens).

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fun and FINALLY Done!

Great pic! Is that your yard? I wanna come visit.

beverly

o

Not my personal yard, but I wish it was. It's Leu Gardens, a truly beautiful botanical garden in the middle of town. Come visit, Beverly, and we'll go there! They are usually only open during the day, but twice a year they open the garden at night for a jazz and blues event. We pack picnic lunches, chairs, wine, etc and get to hear great music AND walk around the gardens in the dark. It's one of my favorite Orlando things.

o

Sounds like great fun. We used to do that in San Antonio. I have a worn out quilt with lots of memories in it. I'll work on DH, to get up a trip.

beverly

o

Kate, I love it! Never done quilt as you go, but thought about it.... maybe not after your experience :o)

Great job nonetheless!

o

Great job on getting your Fun and Done done and that you like the quilt. It looks pretty laying there at the gardens.

SharonG/FL

o

Love it. And so glad to see that it is being USED, as a quilt should be!

o

K8, the quilt turned out beautifully! Is this going to be a picnic quilt in the future also? Lovely setting for a music fest in the park!

Teresa

o

Kate, congrats on finishing it! It looks great. I bought a Fun & Done pattern at the Jax quilt show. Did you get their special template for trimming?

I've lived in Orlando over 30 years and we've never been to Leu Gardens! I'll have to bug Mark to take me sometime soon.

Donna

o

Lovely! Did you add the border in the same QAYG method?
I am at the border stage on my 4 year old QAYG --- well....I also have to handstitch the backs of all the blocks --- it's never going to get done!

The gardens are georgeous. Looks like the perfect setting to enjoy the evening! Beautiful couple :~)

o

I did the border a little different: I added the top and back border fabric, then laid in the batting, then quilted it. It was a little awkward but it worked.

I didn't hand stitch anything except the backside of the binding. The blocks were sewn together, then topstitched on the top of the quilt to look like sashing.

No templates were used. I cut the backing 10.5 x 10.5 and the batting 8 x 8, then trimmed the top to match the batting after adding the strips.

o

Cool...looks a perfect quilt for the setting!

o

It may have taken 2 yr. but the results are worth it. Never have done a QAYG but have given it some thought..Guess it isn't such great idea.
Makes a great picnic quilt. The jazz fest is my type of event. Sound like a great setting.

o

It may have taken 2 yr. but the results are worth it. Never have done a QAYG but have given it some thought..Guess it isn't such great idea.
Makes a great picnic quilt. The jazz fest is my type of event. Sound like a great setting.

o

Kate, good for you for sticking with it and not letting it become a perpetual UFO. It looks very pretty. I wish you would post a close-up so we could get a better look at it.

o

Lois, here are a couple close-ups:

o

Love those fabrics! How Fun are those!!:)

o

Wow, k8 !! The best of both worlds!! :) quilt is fab!!!

o

Those fabrics look amazingly like a bunch of upholstery samples given to me quite a few years back. I knew a person who ran a fine furniture store, and she gave me all those samples that they were going to throw out because they were discontinued. I still have some buried up in the closet somewhere, I need to track those down and see what's left. I have used a lot of it over the years, made a couple of lap quilts.

o

The fabric is primarily Kaffe Fassett, with a few Philip Jacobs pieces added in. I love every one of them! It's fun to watch people with the quilt because so many of them touch each block. Bright colors turn us all into children and we want to reach out to them, like a stack of pretty toys.

The birds in the 4 center blocks and the border fabric are from the Jaipur collection by Bethany Reynolds. I bought the Jaipur print and border on sale over 3 years ago but didn't know what to do with it. It seemed wild enough to stand up to the graphic, vivid prints of Fassett and Jacobs! I know it's a crazy bright quilt but I'm pleased with it. It looked at home in the tropical garden!

o

Kate, those prints are scrumptious! And how clever of you to stop with the QAYG squares and use the center and borders to get the size you wanted. It's a great quilt and how fun to use it at the jazz/blues fest. Thanks for taking the time to shoot the closeup photos.

o

Love it! Great prints.

o

It's beautiful! You're so much braver than me. After taking that much time to complete it, I don't think I could lay it on the ground. But it does go perfectly with the surroundings and I'm sure it may the evening that much more special.

Kind of reminds me of guys with their muscle cars with the hood up at drive-ins today. I can imagine the woman walking by eying and ogling your quilt. LOL

o

Yes, I would reach out and touch the fabric too, Kate. It's perfect and so tropical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here