Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
invisible thread broke my machine!

Posted by buteau3rd (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 23:01

I was using this thread so it would be quicker to remove it when the muslin was washed. All of a sudden it exploded....the bobbin fell out, minus the tension screw, which I did find. Then when I looked inside I found that the finger was not where it should be...in the place on the under side of the throat plate. It had broken off. The good part is that it has been replaced and working. The guy that fixed it said I should never use it........too strong. It had somehow sprung and wrapped it self around the bobbin mechanism and .......wham! This is my Singer 301, old, but great

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: invisible thread broke my machine!

I'm so sorry for you and your machine! I used invisible thread on some hankie quilts, but then someone said they would be afraid that the thread would tear through the hankies since it was much stronger - I had not thought of that, so I've been hesitant to use it since.
Karlene

o

I have never had good luck with invivisble thread - I could never get the tension right on my machine so I haven't used it since my first attempt. Sorry about your machine - but glad it is working again!

Sue

o

Wow, what a scary event! I would not be happy with parts shooting out of my machine! Glad it's fixed and working again!

I tried the invisible thread once and didn't like it so I haven't done it again. Now I'm glad I haven't!

Kate

o

I'm glad your machine could be repaired! I'm leery of the invisible thread, too...it's even worse for pets than organic thread if they swallow it.

Donna

o

So glad they were able to repair your machine. I've kept the thread, both smoke and clear that I used as a new machine quilter years ago when I worried about how to change colors, etc. Guess it's time to pitch it!

o

I think I was very lucky to have a machine break in that most unusual way on Sunday morning and be sewing again on Sunday evening on the same machine!
This man sells old reconditioned machines (mostly Singers) from his very neat and clean garage.

o

I think I was very lucky to have a machine break in that most unusual way on Sunday morning and be sewing again on Sunday evening on the same machine!
This man sells old reconditioned machines (mostly Singers) from his very neat and clean garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here