Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Lotto Winnings

bev2009
9 years ago

I won 26 blocks from the Nov 2012 Lotto. I'm making a queen size quilt for DD and needed 56 blocks, so I've made lots to supplement. A couple of the submitted blocks will go into pillow shams I will make.

I need to trim up all the blocks I made, hopefully tomorrow, and then I'll start sewing. I've never quilting anything on my machines bigger than a twin, so not sure how I will do. I'm assuming I just go diagonally through the squares, unless someone suggests something else.

Thank you all for the beautiful blocks.

Comments (13)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Bev, I'm no help with quilting suggestions, wanted to say that this is going to be a beauty!! That is one lucky daughter!

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

I just love Depression Block and this will be lovely. I'd do an overall design and not worry about the lines and seams. The one I did last I sent to a long armer and had them do swirls all over it and it turned out beautifully.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

That is going to be a stunning quilt. I agree with Linda that an overall, curvy pattern would look lovely.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Love those blocks! This will be stunning!

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I agree with all the remarks already made. It will be a beauty.
    Theresa

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. My LQS, which is just around the corner, offers a class on a long arm and then you can rent theirs, for I think $40 a day. Would I be able to take a class and then quilt it so it looks nice? Or do it takes several classes and several quilts to be able to do a nice job. I could whip out a couple of lap quilts, which I need for the family room anyway, to practice on first.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Bev, it's going to be lovely! Will you add borders?

Donna

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

Wow - stunning colors - I also like all quilts made with Depression Blocks.
    My advice on the longarm - take the class -- and practice-practice-practice. But, before you take the class, do some reading and get into the mindset of moving the machine & not the quilt. Decide on a quilting design (panto or freehand design), and practice drawing it to develop the muscle memory until you can draw it in your mind and sleep :)
    You are lucky to have that rental service available to you. I say take full advantage of it and practice on a charity quilt before each session.
    I also think an overall swirly design would be beautiful on this quilt.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

ooooo sure looks awesome!!!!!

• polardream
    9 years ago

Bev, that is really stunning! I remember making some of those block ... but you needed 30 more! WOW. I think however you quilt it, your daughter will love it.

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Wow...that's a beauty! No matter the quilting...it will be a stunning eye catcher!
    V.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone. I will check into the classes on Friday and see what it is all about. I made a quick lap quilt (Falling Charms) for my daughter last Christmas and could use that pattern for a practice quilt for the family room. I did get 2 rows sewn together yesterday!

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Lucky DD!

I would take the class at the LQS, then make a couple or three practice sandwich blocks about 24" square, and take along a sandwiched lap quilt to practice on before doing your DD's quilt. Keep to large curvy designs on the Depression quilt and you will be fine.

Teresa