Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightersmom_gw

Need help on stippling

FireFightersMoM
15 years ago

I have been quilting now for a couple of years. I love the look of stippling on quilts.

But I can't seem to get it right. I am getting better with my speed every time. But here is my problem. The back looks terrible. I am embarrassed by it. I work so hard on all of it, and then mess it up in the back. Of course it is way to hard to take it all out.

I use a darning foot, I lower my feed dog. I tried to mess around with the thread tension and didn't notice a difference. I thought it was just something that would get better with experience, but it is not at all.

What am I doing wrong? I am total self taught. I can't find it idea's in the books I have

Comments (5)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

When you say the back looks terrible, do you mean it's loose and you can see the thread from the front of the quilt coming through? If that's the case, you do need to increase the tension I think. You also should try moving the fabric more slowly under the needle. Keep up the machine speed but take your time with the motions. Does that make sense?

Kate

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

You seem to be doing all the right things, which leads me to think it is a tension problem.

Do you have loops or loose threads on the bottom? If so, you need to tighten the bobbin thread.

Many will say, clutching their hair and bosoms, Never adjust your bobbin tension! The world will end! Well, yeah, not so much. Different threads need different settings. I adjust both bobbin and top thread frequently.

I set the top thread tension at about the middle of the range. Then I adjust the bobbin tension to match. Make small adjustments - less than a quarter turn of the screw. This is of course using the same thread top and bottom. Then if I change threads, it's usually just the top tension that needs to be changed, and usually by just a point or two.

You need to make up a few trial quilt sandwiches and try, try, try, all sorts of adjustments. Little and often is the key.;

• redpenny
    15 years ago

I agree with Mary C it is a bobbin tension problem! I also adjust both bobbin and top thread. I also use the same thread I use on top in my bobbin......I just have better luck I also only use cotton thread....also like
    Kate said ....Keep up the machine speed but take your time with the motions.
    Also just like Mary said You need to make up a few trial quilt sandwiches and try, try, try, all sorts of adjustments. I always do that and what type of batting are you using? I like to use cotton batting when I decide I am going to either meader or do stippling....
    Red

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

Are you pulling your bobbin thread up to the top? I think that helps eliminate the glob of threads on the bottom. You make one stitch and then pull on the end of the top thread until the bobbin thread loops on the top and then you pull it up. Can't hurt to try.

Faye

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Often when stippling you will have to tighten the TOP tension till it's quite tight. Experiment by tightening the top tension almost as tight at you can, stipple a bit, loosen 1/4 turn, stipple a bit--keep doing this until you get a good, balanced stitch.

Annie