Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

Sad news~meleeis

magothyrivergirl
11 years ago

Jackie sent me an email that her dear friend, and our forum member, Cheryl Love (meleeis) passed away yesterday.

I sat with Jackie at Retreat, and while working on my quilt from my Birthday Blocks from 2010 & 2011, the block that jumped out at me - and I pointed out to Jackie - was made by Cheryl. Jackie told me Cheryl was her very dear friend and quilting buddy. She spoke lovingly of Cheryl and her expert piecing and what fun they had together, and about the Shop Hops they did. This was the only block we looked at on my quilt!

Cheryl was in the 2010 Patchwork Pines BD Block group. Her BD blocks were put into quilts and donated to a Children's Cancer Center.

Jackie said, At the Celebration of Life Gathering for Cheryl, quilts she had made for her family were on display. She managed to finish a quilt for every child and grandchild and a couple for her husband before she passed.

Quilting was a big part of Cheryl's life, and I am honored to have her block in my quilt. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to share a bit of Cheryl's life with Jackie.

My condolences to Jackie and Cheryl's family for their loss.

Comments (9)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

I don't even know Cherly but I found your tribute to be most touching...How special that they displayed her quilts in her memory. My sympathy to Cheryl's family on the loss of their loved one.
    V.

• jackier123
    11 years ago

Thanks Marsha for posting this great tribute. Cheryl was my best friend and an amazing person. She had uterine / ovarian cancer and not only donated quilts for cancer patients, she also donated her body to cancer research. She was diagnosed a little over a year ago, and stayed busy until the very end. Just a little over a week ago, she made her husband take her to a local quilt show just to see my 2nd place quilt. A little over a month ago, she was out driving by herself to visit with me. She did not slow down until a few days before she passed away.

Jackie

• grammyp
    11 years ago

What a great way to honor her memory. Thank you for the touching tribute. I think it is wonderful how we can be connected even when we never meet.

My condolences to Cheryl's friends and family.

beverly

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Beautiful memories of what sounds like a beautiful person. So sorry for the loss to all her friends and family.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Jackie, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. My good friend of 60+ years died in 2009. We had grown up and old together. I still miss her.

May her memory be with you always. Lois

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I think the quilts Cheryl made for her family will be a great comfort to them at this time. They should feel blessed to have them.

Jackie, I'm sorry and am sending hugs of comfort to you.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

Marsha, Thank you for letting us know about Cheryl.

Jackie, I am so sorry for the loss of your best friend. I know that Cheryl will be missed by many people, but I hope that you and they are comforted in the knowledge that she love you all so much.

Hugs,
    Sue

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

(((Jackie)))
    I also think it is a wonderful way to honor Cheryl and her family will have beautiful treasures she made especially for them.

I have read of quilts being displayed at memorial services, but it hasn't caught on around me. I have let my family know that is what I want, so I may be the first.

I would love to see your award winning quilt.
    Rosa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Oh Jackie, I'm so sorry to hear this news. I know you feel a terrible loss. I lost my next-door-neighbor, best friend and quilting buddy a few years ago to a sudden illness; I miss her constantly. Hugs to you.

Kate