Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - December 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

HO HO HO

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

The block this month is a departure from our normal piecing; it's paper piecing and I encourage you to give it a try if you haven't done it before. It looks more complicated than it is, but paper piecing can be tricky when you start. Once you get it though, you'll want to do more paper piecing!

We started talking about this one a couple months ago. Here's the link to that discussion: December block discussion

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks (

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair.

December 2012

For December, our lotto is a color wheel Circle of Geese. Black background and any colors you want for the geese. The rainbow graduated colors look good but it's not a requirement. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

Pattern: Circle of Geese

Excellent paper piecing instructions, with pictures: PP Instructions

I'll only be doing one this month and think that's a good goal for all. Try one and see how you like paper piecing! Here's a picture of my block.

Merry Christmas!

Kate

Comments (25)

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Here's my December block sent in mid-September.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And you should have mine there also.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Theresa's but haven't found Lois' package yet. I'll have more time to look this weekend, Lois!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

I'm sure you'll find it, Kate. Sorry things have been so chaotic for you. Lois

• polardream
    11 years ago

Okay, I made one block and I am SOOO frustrated! It turned out really cool - except it is only 12"!!! I will try making another block - I will double check my copies to make sure they printed properly. Seems like I waste a lot of fabric when I paper piece. What am I doing wrong???

Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

To make the block come out the right size - add an extra generous 1/4" margin (seam allowance) to the 2 outside edges only of each section when you cut out the pattern.
    ***DO NOT ADD IT TO THE INSIDE EDGES***

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Yes. that works. Then you can trim the block to the right size.
    Theresa

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

And don't do what I did. Trim the block looking at the edges of the colored geese, not the block middle where the four quarters join. I trimmed using the exact center only to find the design is off center a bit. Ignore where the middle is and just trim by eye, leaving at least 1/4" beyond the colored geese and you'll be fine.

Sue, don't trim to any of the outside lines till it's all together. Leaving that extra on outside edges works better for getting it trimmed accurately. Frankly, I wouldn't trim it at all if I had to do it over. I'd let the recipient trim them all herself.

• polardream
    11 years ago

Thanks Marsha & Theresa. I always thoughgt that paper piecing was supposed to be more precise than other piecing. I double checked my pattern and it SHOULD HAVE come out the correct size, but didn't. I will try it again adding more to the outside pieces when I get back to this.

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Hi...I'm going to tackle this one over the weekend, glad to read the tips on the outside edges...thanks all for the tips.
    From the pics it looks like some are batiks for the brights - or is it just me seeing things and does it matter???

V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Batiks are fine. Anything with good color saturation works great. I used some batiks and some regular quilting cottons.

Good advice on the size. I think the pattern measures 12.5 edge to edge, but there's a solid inner line and a dashed outer line. The inner line is the finished size and the outer dashed line is the block with 1/4" seam allowance. Adding a little extra is a good idea.

Sue, on your smallish block: why not just sew a small black border on it and trim it to size? On this pattern I think it might work.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

It's been a while since I tried PP and needless to say...I had more than one start and stop...but alas it's done. I trimmed mine to 13" square, taking Linda's advice and letting the winner trim as they wish..,hence the edges don't look perfect,but it will trim out to 12 1/2" square.
    V.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Here is my block. It is 13"x13"

Lola

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

that's really lovely, Lola. Nice choice of fabrics. But, you always do have a good eye.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Wow! Nuf said. You guys are a hard act to follow.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Was surfing around and saw this for all you who would want to try it again. @:)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Circle of Geese Christmas Wreath

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Sharon thanks for sharing the link. Merry Christmas!

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally have these ready to go and in the interest of getting it all finished today I gave the list of participants to Linda and Val who are running the lotto for 2013. One set the list of names to numbers and the other picked the number. I assure you it was very fair.

The winner is... LOISF!!!!

Congrats Lois! I'll get your blocks in the mail on Wednesday. There aren't a lot of these blocks but we'll be eager to see what you do with them. They are very dramatic!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Congrats, Lois. They are beautiful. I never had the courage to try and make one.

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Wow, how exciting! Now I have to get creative and think of something to do with them. Thank you, everyone, who participated. Lois

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Good for you, Lois. Whatever you make will be stunning.
    Theresa

• polardream
    11 years ago

Congrats, Lois! I think this will be awesome.
    Sue

• lola99
    11 years ago

These will be fun to play with. Congratulations Lois.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Congrats!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kate. I got my blocks today. They're great. I can't wait to figure out how they will fit together. Yay!