Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - November 2012

K8Orlando
11 years ago

Thank you for joining in the lotto!

The block this month is another classic pattern and I think you'll have fun with it. It's fast and easy - perfect as we get into the busy Holiday season! We'll do this one in shades of blue, purple and green. You'll need light and dark shades, sewn in Half Square Triangles. If you don't have these colors in your stash, a handful of fat quarters will be enough to do 3 blocks.

This lotto is open to all and new quilters are encouraged to participate. You will learn much and have fun doing it. Participate in as many or as few lottos as you want, but even if you don't like the current month's block think about doing at least one. The winner will appreciate your efforts!

Here's the drill:

> each month there will be a designated block or theme

> you can send 1, 2 or 3 blocks

> all blocks must measure 12.5inches x 12.5inches with no more than 1/4" variation, please

> with your blocks include name, mailing address, forum name and $1 to cover postage for the winning blocks (Any money left over at the end of the year will go towards prizes!)

> if possible, either attach your name to the back of each block or write your name in the seam allowance with a fabric pen so the winner knows who made the block (this is not a requirement, just a request)

> all blocks received by the last day of the month will be included in the lotto drawing

> you will have 1, 2 or 3 chances to win, depending on how many blocks you've sent in

> we have a clever way of choosing the winner, with a couple different quilters involved, to keep it fair.

November 2012

For November, our lotto is Depression Block, although it's not very depressing at all! Dark or medium tones of blue, purple and green, paired with light tones of blue, purple and green. No background neutrals on this one - it's all color. No juvenile or novelty prints. Please use all cotton fabric, with nicely pressed 1/4 inch seams.

Here's the link to the pattern at Quilterscache.com: Depression Block.

And to get you started on ideas, here's a picture of my 3 blocks:

Have fun!

Kate

Comments (43)

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Since I skipped October, I've finished November ahead of schedule. I discovered in doing this I'm very limited on greens; there is a light and dark green, although the light green looks yellowy in the pic.
    V.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful!

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Here's my November block sent in mid-September.

• polardream
    11 years ago

I am in for 3 blocks for November.

Sue

• nannykins
    11 years ago

And mine.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Theresa, I have your lovely blocks.

Lois, still looking for your September package with Oct/Nov/Dec blocks.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Here are my squares. I hope they are OK. I seem to have larger prints then others do. I tried to use from my stash, but did have to buy more fabrics to make it work.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bev, I think they work perfectly well with all the others. I think this is going to be an outstanding quilt and I expect we'll have lots of participation! Everyone is going to want this quilt.

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

oh they are all sooo pretty!!! Makes me want to get going and sew some up!! Blues, greens and purples, eh??? hmmm..... reminds me of flowers!!

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Bumping to ask if you received mine, Kate?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Here's a couple I plan on sending.

SharonG/FL

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Ooooooh! Looks like I better get some blocks made. I love ones you've all displayed.

What happened with the October blocks? I never saw a post.

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

If I had time, I'd make some more blocks for this lotto...All of the blocks are lovely...someone will have a beautiful quilt!

I did not see a post for October...last I heard from Kate her computer was non-cooperative. I haven't seen a post from her on the forum recently...I'll see if I can touch base the old fashion way...:)
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

The last I read, can't remember where, she was going to wait until around Nov 5th to do the Oct lotto. Hope she gets her computer fixed soon.....I miss her.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    11 years ago

Kate,
    I am mailing my 3 blocks on Saturday along with 1 for December. I have tried that PP block for Dec. 3 times and FINALLY got 1 that is okay.

Sue

• lola99
    11 years ago

Today I sent 3 blocks for November and one for December. I mailed them priority, so they should arrive on Thursday. I'll post pictures when I return home.

Lola

• lola99
    11 years ago

Here are my blocks

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Finally got a block finished, but too late for the post office. I'll mail my November block tomorrow.
    It's not as yellow as this photo looks either, guess it's the evening light and the golden wood of the floor!
    LindaB/CA

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

If the post office is correct the block should arrive no later than Saturday.
    Sorry for the delay.

LindaB/CA
    P.S. Enjoying my sewing room in the rain. Sure hope the power holds. We're expecting up to 12" of rain and high gusts over the next four days. Guess that means good things for the ski slopes!

• lola99
    11 years ago

Hi Kate, just checking in on this lotto. Are you swamped? Let us know if you would like some help. You have done so much this year and I know it's a busy time for you so please let us know if we can help you out in any way.

Lola

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lola! I just received your post as an email. I'm at work and don't have the blocks with me (and really shouldn't be posting instead of getting this project done!) and at home I don't have the computer running! Aaarrrgghhh! I know I have let you all down and it's killing me. Hoping to have it all fixed and resolved within a couple days now that we have the computer parts.

I'm seriously thinking this current work schedule will not let up in 2013 as I get handed one new project after another. I don't think I'll be able to take on the Lotto next year and give it the attention it required. Val offered to help but I don't think I can do it, even with her very organized and expert assistance.

I'll post about this when I get a chance but if anyone is interested in hosting I will be happy to give you all the info from this year and suggestions on blocks for next year. It's really been fun, right up until this fall when my job changed and I started traveling so much. Any takers???

Kate

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

You did an awesome job hosting the Lotto this year Kate and just wanted to thank you for that. Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• sunnycentralfl
    11 years ago

Kate, Lotto was a lot of good things for all of us this year. We appreciate your leadership, talent and good humor. Sorry, your job is so demanding right now...life sometimes gets in the way of our plans. Whatever you decide about next year will be the right decision.

Great big thanks to you!
    Gwen

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Your efforts have been amazing. Thank you for all you've done. I've really enjoyed what little participation I've had time for. It's pushed me to try new things.

Unfortunately, I'm not skilled or organized enough to host the process. I seem to have trouble just getting the blocks made and in the mail.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Kate you have not let us down at all! As the others have said, you have done a fantastic job hosting this lotto this year.

It sounds like your home computer will be up and running soon, but if not, and/or if you feel like you just want some help with the last few months of drawings I'd be happy to give you a call and get the names and # of blocks that each person sent and then coordinate the drawings. I realize that is not really the hard part, but if it would help you I'm happy to step in.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Any word yet on when the drawing will be held?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally have these ready to go and in the interest of getting it all finished today I gave the list of participants to Linda and Val who are running the lotto for 2013. One set the list of names to numbers and the other picked the number. I assure you it was very fair.

The winner is... BEV2009!!!!

Congrats Bev! I'll get your 26 blocks in the mail on Wednesday. This will make as huge and beautiful quilt!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness! I loved these blocks as everyone was posting them. I can't wait to see them all and make them up. Thanks, everyone!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

That is going to be a smashing quilt. Congrats to Bev.
    Theresa

• beth7happy
    11 years ago

Congrats, Bev! This looks like it's going to be beautiful!

• polardream
    11 years ago

Congrats to you, Bev! I will be looking forward to seeing your finished product!
    Sue

• lola99
    11 years ago

Oh, this is going to make a gorgeous quilt! Congratulations Bev.

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Congrats! This block was fun.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Kate, I haven't received the squares yet. I've emailed you twice, but haven't heard back from you. Did you get them in the mail yet? I certainly hope they are not lost.

Thanks,
    Bev

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bev,
    Glad you posted this! I had not seen your emails but looked when I saw this message and found them in my spam folder! I have missed a couple messages from Sandra lately too. I think when I had to have the computer repairs it messed up lots of things!

I'll check on the shipping date and get back to you shortly!

Kate

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Kate, you're killing me. Is it lost in the mail?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm on vacation in Alaska but your blocks are not lost and should be there Friday.

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Alaska in the winter! Brrr!!
    Theresa

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Kate, they arrived! Everyone, they are just beautiful. I'll post a picture later. I know DD#2 would love this and had told me she needed a new quilt for her bed. She'll be home next weekend so I'll know then. However, I must admit I'm hoping she doesn't want them and I'll get to keep them! They go so well with the two prints above my bed. OK, I may have just talked myself out of giving them to her. We'll see.

• lola99
    11 years ago

Please do post a picture of all of the squares together. I would love to see them!

• toolgranny
    11 years ago

Keep them. You deserve them. These have a connection to us, a memory of your friends. You can always make her another one later.

• magothyrivergirl
    11 years ago

Bev~I agree with toolgranny~ what she said is soooooo true.

I've won the Lotto a few times over the years, and I have made quilts from the blocks. We use 2 of the quilts every single day & I cherish them. Scrappy......not my style......I'm learning....... and surprisingly.......these are the quilts we love!

Keep the blocks for yourself~you will smile every time you see them.

• bev2009
    11 years ago

OK, you've convinced me. They're mine! I have plenty of fabrics that match/coordinate with her wallhanging. YEAH!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!