Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Question for my "guild"

bev2009
11 years ago

I was busy cruising the quilting net world today when I came across "improv" quilting. Can you tell me the difference between improv and crazy? As far as I can tell, you "square off" improv blocks more than crazy quilting, but I could be wrong. According to Wiki, crazy quilts usually don't have a batting layer. Is this correct? How about improv quilts?

I appreciate all I am learning from all of you and your willingness to share!

Bev

Comments (4)

• calliope
    11 years ago

I am sort of grinning because the third quilt I made would certainly qualify as an improv quilt, but I was totally clueless about quilting in general at the time and was simply winging it. I call it a wonky quilt and it was done in a basic Eye of God pattern, paper pieced no less before I even knew what paper piecing was. To me it is primitive looking, in the spirit of Gee Bend, but I hadn't even heard of Gee Bend back then, either.

I think the spirit of improv quilting is to let go and let the juices flow. It's a good practice for quilters occasionally because as a group, I think we tend to be perfectionists and a little O/C. It's all about not having to worry about somebody else's preconceived notions of a pattern, letting your eye make the choices, having some fun and not being so hung up on geometric precision.

I put my wonky quilt top away for five years and just dug it out a few weeks ago and birthed it then tied it off. Surprisingly I liked the results so much that I hauled it down to the daybed in the living room and it's my snuggle quilt now, if I can get the dog off it. He growls when I try to pull it out from under him.

Mine is not batted, but there is no reason you shouldn't or couldn't. Then again, I have put batting in all my crazy quilts. There are no 'rules' as quilting is a folk craft (unless you happen to plan on putting it in a show where rules may dictate some of the decisions). Crazy quilts have a long history, and were more about showing off your needlework in finishing them off than anything else. BTW I have a crazy quilt going in the background continually, because I love them, enjoy making them and use them to eat up the scraps of other quilts in progress. No, I don't like to keep gobs of scraps about. If I get around to it, I'll take a pic of my improv quilt. Interesting topic!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

When I think of a true Crazy Quilt, I think of rich fabrics like velvet and satin showing off embroidery stitches at the seamlines.

I have a few crazy blocks made using a muslin foundation, large scraps and decorative machine stitching. When/if I ever get enough blocks made, no batting will be needed because of the muslin foundation. I think I started them when Caroline1947 gave a tute on how she made hers.

Smaller scraps used for Crumb blocks fit into the 'improv' category.....I think. @:)

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sharon. Now I had to postpone my house cleaning to look up crumb blocks. LOL I looked at several tutes and one seemed to me the way you would put together a crazy quilt, with much stopping, cutting, and starting. I liked the way this tute worked better and will definitely give this a try. I am not one who wants to store lots of fabric and would like to use up my extras quickly. We have a nursing home a few blocks away and I think I could do up some lap robes for Christmas presents lickety-split. Especially good for sewing in the evening when my brain is done working. Thanks for the idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crumb tute

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Bev. I've never made one using strips like that, but it comes out looking pretty good! Using various sizes strips makes it interesting, too. Now I want to make some crumb blocks using strips!! There goes my plan for the day. Mindless sewing is on the horizon.

SharonG/FL

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor