Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

beginning applique/

finchelover
12 years ago

I WANT TO APPLIQUE.A BEGINNER,MY ? IS,HOW DO I PLACE THE PIECE TO BE APPLIQUED ON THE MATAERIAL TO MAKE IT EVEN. DO I FOLD THE SQUARE INTO THEN FIGURE OUT WHERE I WANT THE PIECE TO BE APPLIQUED IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT SO IT WILL LOOK EVEN ON THE BLOCK...IS THIS MAKING SENSE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. I CAN'T FIND A TUT HOW TO DO IT WAY FROM THE START

Comments (6)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I use a piece of material at least 2 inches larger than I'll need. That way if it's off center or wonky, I can trim it to 12.5x12.5 when the applique is done.

I find the center of the fabric and the center of the applique pattern. I put the fabric over the pattern with the centers lined up and very lightly sketch the pattern with a pencil. I haven't been doing applique very long and I'm still paranoid about it so I tend to pull out the pattern and verify as I start each new little piece of applique.

Kate

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I trace my pattern onto a piece of clear film, like template plastic or a sheet protector, and use it as an overlay and locater guide for each piece, lining up centers of overlay to background centering marks. I fold the background in half each way to have a center line and mark with a washable pen. Then I do same with clear overlay, judging what would be center of motif. As I place each piece, I match overlay center marks and slip the piece under the film and pin in place. Does that make sense?

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Buy and use some Steam-A-Seam2. It is a bonding material that you cut the same size as your pieces of applique and then with a cool steam setting you iron your applique piece to the Steam-A-Seam2 to the background fabric all at one time. It's like making an iron on patch out of your applique pieces and keeps them from moving around while you hand-applique stitch or machine applique stitch. Steam-A-Seam2 can be bought at Hobby Lobby and is easy to sew through and does NOT gum up your needle. I have done a lot of appliqueing on by hand and by machine during the past year and highly recommend this product.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

My favorite way to applique is to use the back-basting method. I cannot find the original tutorial I used, but here's one that should work. This is really easy, doesn't slip and slide around and doesn't use pins so you don't get stuck. Enjoy the process!

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Back-Basting Tutorial

• finchelover
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A big thank you ladies for your response I will be gone to my grand daughters wedding so when I get back I can't wait to try your methods out. Thanks again...This is a great site to get a answer to one's questions/

• kay6271
    12 years ago

My favorite way to "mark" the piece to be cut is to use a hera. A lot of people aren't familiar with it, so when I was moderating the monthly block lotto, I did a short tutorial on how I use it.

Link is below. I love this method because it makes the sewing easier and doesn't leave a single mark!

Here is a link that might be useful: Using a Hera for Applique