Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Playing around w/ Bali Pops (Hoffman's)

pirate_girl
12 years ago

Hi Gang,

I'm spending the weekend on 2 projects. Finishing up a Baby Quilt that's almost done & playing around w/ a Bali Pop set.

Look what gorgeous fabrics these are. From a Bali Pop set called Green Tea. These fabrics are so stunning that for a long time I just admired the package & didn't even open it. It was so very pretty in the package.

other views:

Look at larger units when combined:

Gosh I'm getting excited already, can't wait to see what I'm going to make w/ this!

Comments (6)

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I have a Bali Pops called Strawberry Fields and have done the same: admired it in the package! I'm planning to do a log cabin with mine, mixed with more pastel shades for the light side of the log cabin.

I like the blocks you are using - it's going to be a stunning quilt!

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I have 2 of the Green Tea Bali Pops-they are beautiful! I have combined them with 40 other random strips of batiks and I am going to make a very large '1600 Jelly Roll Race' quilt at the Retreat.

As soon as I saw your picture, I recognized the Green Tea! like what you are doing alot!

I have linked to a very good Tip for sewing with the irregular width for Bali Pops & jelly rolls.

Here is a link that might be useful: See Bali Pop Sewing Tips

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ladies. I'm just fascinated w/ these all batik collections & finally, Hoffman does it spectacularly.

I used to batik in my teens & 20s, you may remember earlier posts of mine about this. I've stayed on the sidelines watching through the years as batik came into quilting. Sometimes it came through muddy & sort of overall mediocre. But now, these prints Hoffman's had made, I'm just over the moon at how beautifully colored & designed most of these fabrics are.

The blocks I've shown here only have 10 prints, there's another 30 more in variety, just amazing.

I was going to make the design 'Tea Time' as advertised in this very colorway by Hoffman. But I don't have a particular ruler they recommend & while they offered an alternative suggestion for cutting, well I may have misunderstood & miscut a block.

So, I've decided I'm sort of going to wing it. The block photographed above has been cut into 16 blocks (I've quartered each one, rearranged 'em & reassembled them).

Then, I have 3 other comparable sets of blocks like this to work w/. Wooo, hoo, gonna be gorgeous & so fun to play with.

I love design walls, here, I just started working on top of another quilt, already hanging on the wall.

Magothy, thanks for the link, while not working, I HAVE seen the article, if it's the one abt compensating for the slightly inaccurate cutting of the Bali Pops. (One focuses on getting the full 2 1/4" of the strip & then any wiggle room gets worked out in the remaining seam allowance (if under or over the 1/4"; as I understood it)).

These Pops will make for an interesting Log Cabin, & the Jelly Roll Races too, what fun!!

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's some pix after I've starting cutting it up. I will be working w/ other colorings.

another view

Here's some of the other fabrics/colors also in the group:

I just happened to have started working on top of another quilt & laid these assembled strips out to be nearby the others & all together, from which to assemble the next blocks.

This is the first time I've used anything like a kit or pre-cut anything. The ability to just dive in & start assembling is quite liberating & exciting. I really recommend trying it.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I used to think jelly rolls were kind of limiting, but once I tried one I realized they are almost limitless! Quick, easy and a multitude of great patterns.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

The link works when I click on it - takes you to Bear Paw and you then click on the Tips for Sewing with H Bali Pops.
    Basically you very carefully put the tip of the needle down on the 2.25" measure on a cutting ruler - the 2.25" to the left of the needle - put down a piece of tape (like blue painters) and line the two edges of the bali pops up to the edge of the measured tape and sew your seam. The remaining seam allowance will vary, because the Bali pops are hand cut, but your remaining strip will be 2.25" and your points and seams will match.
    I find the Bali Pops fun and colorful.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville