Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_c_gw

Another 'Quilts for Kids' quilt

mary_c_gw
12 years ago

I just had so much on my plate and design table, and was so depressed about the freaking HEAT and fire danger, that I decided to throw it all to the winds and ignore everything, LOL.

So I ordered a kit from Quilts for Kids. This is my third kit, and I always make one from my stash to send in. One day each to piece the tops, one day to quilt them, and one day to bind! Thank goodness they want the binding machine stitched on. We had rain finally, and I sewed and felt such relief!

These are going in the mail tomorrow!

Their quilt kit:

The back:

Mine:

Back:

It felt good to just complete something! And tomorrow I get back to all the other stuff.

I've made one of the hot-air balloon quilts before, but probably in different colors.

Comments (16)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

So cute!!! I haven't gotten a kit like yours. I love the balloons.
    Rosa

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

Great job. They will be enjoyed I know. Love balloons, we used to seek out the festivals, even went to Albuquerque.
    Your quilting machine comes in handy when making these I am sure. Congratulatins and TFS.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Mary, Very cute quilts! I haven't requested a kit yet. Maybe after the first of the year. I like doing the 'weave' pattern as it doesn't take very long.....just need to get to it. And, of course, hot air balloons are always a favorite! Nice job! I just looked it up and there's a chapter about 40 miles from me.

Wouldn't it be fun for all of us to take a week-end and work on a Quilt for Kids? Or maybe New Year's Eve....I'm usually just sitting here by myself.

Glad it rained in your area...hope it was enough to saturate things.

SharonG/FL

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Mary, how wonderful! What a great way to recharge your creative batteries.

Donna

• gininmn
    12 years ago

Mary, great quilts. I just got another kit from Quilt for Kids last week too but haven't started putting it together yet. Starting soon, though.

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

So nice to hear from you Mary - I wish I could send you some of our rain! Our dock is flooding tonight!
    I took some fabric from the September Guild Meeting from the Quilts for Kids table to make a quilt. That is next on my list - They collect donated fabric and hand it out - no time limit & we can make anything. I will add to it , as I only picked up two pieces.
    Your quilts are very nice. Great cause!

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Great quilts, Mary! I love the balloon fabric. Glad some rain finally came your way and hope you got a break from the heat as well. Maybe that's just what it took...ignore and quilt. ;-)

Deanna

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I love that balloon fabric! And I like that basket weave pattern, too. I'm not familiar withe the Quilts for Kids, so I'll go check it out.

Robbi

• chickie1
    12 years ago

I love both quilts and I know the kids will too. I made a quilt from one of their kits last year and want to order another one. It feels so good to mail the quilt to the hospital for a child to receive.
    Darlene

• day2day
    12 years ago

Mary, those are cute. The kids will love them. You got your mind off the 'negative' stuff, recharged your creative batteries and made two great quilts for others. Way to go!!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• wynative
    12 years ago

This is a wonderful idea! I have a local chapter fairly close and have sent an email for information.

Nice quilts Mary!

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

I looked this up on the web and found a few chapters in my area as well. I think I'll try to do a few the first of the year.

Robbi

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

Great job Mary! Looks like they have changed the kit pattern. This is such a great organization and I encourage anyone to get involved! I have made six in the past couple of years and it is very rewarding knowing they will put a smile on a child's face and give them comfort.

Rebecca

• mary_c_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think which pattern they send depends on the fabric leftovers! This one had narrow strips for the sashings, but then 6 different strips for the body. And the backing was totally unrelated to the top.

The others I've had were more "organized", LOL.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

The gal I emailed about the chapter here emailed me back and said she even has pieces of batting that can be used. I'll probably drive down and pick up the kit supplies at the end of the year. I'm so happy to find a donation site close to home so postage isn't a consideration.

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    12 years ago

Fun quilts, Mary! You did a great job.

Sue

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!