Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

November Goals

You notice it doesn't say only sewing goals but because the holiday season is upon us there are many things we feel should be done. Hopefully you'll feel free to include those things, too. I'm thinking it might even be easier to go week by week til after Christmas for those of you who go all out decorating, cleaning and baking.

This week:

The baby quilt from last month is 'birthed' and needs quilting.

Start cat proofing the house.

Letter, BD cards and BD block to the PO.

Make pecan pie

Defrost the little fridge

What's on your agenda????

SharonG/FL

Comments (21)

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Well I hope a miracle will happen and I find someone that just ADORES ripping out FM quilting, like clear across the whole quilt! Otherwise, I don't know if I'll get this thing done or not. I am so exasperated. I quilted a line completely across this quilt not realizing that it was puckered on the other side. And I HAVE to fix it because the other side is the top side. I was following a meandering butterfly design on the backing. AND the backing is flannel, which of course almost makes it impossible to rip out from the back because it embeds into the flannel, and some of the stitches OF COURSE are very tiny and some of them are double-stitched. I should have known that something would go wrong after having to put it aside for so long with my injured hand. I am beginning to dislike FM Quilting immensely. Anyone have some kind of trick to convincing yourself to doing something that you ABSOLUTELY DETEST doing?

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

My November quilting goals:

1. Finish and quilt Ohio State quilt
    2. Start Elijah's baby quilt
    3. Put borders on jelly roll quilt and quilt it.
    4. Quilt birthday block quilt.

I have lots of other things I want to work on but those are the quilts I want to finish first.

Linda OH

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

My big goal this month is just to get through the month! If I can scrap any time together for myself it will be to work on the poppies quilt for my home office wall.

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Aw, Rita! I feel your pain. Are you quilting on a frame? If so, you could roll it up till the part of the back that needs unstitching is on the roller (does that make sense?)

I guess my only goal is to finish hubby's 50th BD quilt that should have been done middle of last month.

Donna

• calliope
    12 years ago

Ha........I have so many projects I'll just concentrate on those in the sewing room. HOORAY! I just found an online manual for an old class 99 singer head I am converting over to treadle use. The lovely, round rotary bobbin is a pop up with no bobbin case, and how to get the thread caught up into the mechanism so the needle could catch it had me stumped. I was feeling pretty dumb, because I could figure out any old style long bobbin. This has all the info I need on oiling, etc. etc. Also found a manual for my old class 15 hand crank. Hope to get the 99 into my spare treadle cabinet, and get it ripping.

Finished removing the last of the paper from my paper pieced quilt and can get it sandwiched. I don't care if I start work on it this month or not. I just want that sucker off the wall and on a frame! I have so many new quilt tops dancing in my head and I'm not starting one until the walls are cleared off.

The sock monkey I made arrived at the home of new g'grandbaby and was appreciated. Now I have to make another one for my newest g'son. Next I have to make one for my step-daughter, who when seeing her first g'baby's monkey wants one for herself. LOL. I just retired from one business, but swear I could earn a living making sock monkeys until I saturate the local market.

Would like to get into this month's block lotto, but stringing garlic around my neck and making the sign of the cross when looking at that deceptively simple pattern. It's one I always muck up. I may pass.

Sitting here wearing the scrub top I was making for my g'daughter who is just entered nurse training. Good grief what is with pattern makers? I wear a 14 and ended up making two new outfits and the 18 was a fit, so when she said she needed an X-tra small, I cut it small instead. Put my heart and soul into it with the cut and finished-off seams and fancy bindings and it looked like a circus tent. Huge! I tried it on and had to take it up two inches to fit me!!! Hello? This is the same pattern maker who shot me up four sizes to an 18? Now I've shrunk eight sizes to a small?

• day2day
    12 years ago

I need to do some major cleaning before Christmas. This week I want to start my son's bedroom....a big job. He isn't married and lives away from home while attending a university, but usually makes it home every 3rd. or 4th. weekend. I will take all his stuff out this week and on the weekend he can what he will keep/give away.

Sewing this week........decide on a pattern for a lovely floral fabric and check my stash and the LQS for coordinates.

Good luck with your goals.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

It looks like everyone is pretty busy. It always seems to happen this time of year. My dd (8 yr old) is in the Nutcracker ballet this year (1st year ballet, so no big part). But there are a lot of rehearsals and the actual performances are the first weekend in December, so we'll be pretty busy with that. She is also a cheerleader and has competition on the 19th, so they are busy practicing for that, too. Somewhere in there is my birthday and a holiday, so lots of cleaning, cooking and family visits in there (which I love!!). I hope to squeeze in some sewing, too. I'd love to get caught up on my Dear Jane quilt. I'm about 1 1/2 months behind. I'm also just starting month 7 of a 12 month BOM quilt. At least there is no hurry on that one. I'm not doing any sewing gifts this year, so that will help the stress level.

Robbi

• polardream
    12 years ago

Do better than I did in October!

I finished the "I Spy" quilt that I started at Camp Cheerio. YEAH! I will need to take a picture & post.

I would like to get at least one more quilt sandwiched & quilted this month.

I would like to get more squares done on a Double Irish Chain quilt I am making for my old principal who is retiring at the end of this year. I know I won't get it finished, but would like to get a better start on it. I have about 20 of the blocks done (8 x 8)and have loads to go!

I have some gifts to make for girlfriends - not all will be quilted, but will be some sort of handmade.

Then I need to finish helping DH with our Mexico trip planning. We will be taking the motorhome to Mexico right after Christmas for 3 months. I won't be doing much sewing then but will be traveling, sight seeing, relaxing, and keeping up with our blog.

I think another goal would be to not get stressed!

{{!gwi}}

Sue

• grammyp
    12 years ago

I'm keeping it simple this month.

finish organizing and re-arranging the sewing room
    de-clutter the house (family reunion planned for Dec 3rd)
    get over this sinus gunk that keeps hanging on

beverly

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Well, I finished quilting hubby's quilt and got the binding sewn on the front. Hand sewed the back of one short side last night before the new cat/kitten (he's a year old) decided it looked like fun. Not sure how I'll get the rest done. I may have to bolt into the sewing room and close the door! :) Anyway, I'm hoping to get it done this weekend.

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WHEW! You girls are all on a roll! Guess that's what happens when we turn the calendar page to November. YIKES!

I have the baby quilt finished (Charmaynes Blessing) and been to the PO. Not much use to cat proof the house yet, but I've been putting my fabric tubs away so they can't climb on them while we're gone.

Donna, Looking forward to pictures of your DH with his wonderful quilt.

Beverly, Hope you feel better....de-clutter? I've tried that. It lasts for a couple days....

Sue, Looking forward to keeping up with you on your travels through your blog. I'm sure we'll have a lovely time. lol

Robbi, I love watching the first 2-3 year dancers. You'll be able to catch up quickly on DJ once things slow down.....right about Jan 15th.

Geraldine, I think your son will be surprised you don't want to keep all his stuff at your house. You sure about this? LOLOLOL

calliope, I don't know where those pattern companies get thier sizes, but they're sure waaaay off! Might will have to have your granddaughter send you her measurements. Let me know if you start up that sock monkey company. :)

Kate, Take a breath.....Breathe, breathe, breathe and you'll do just fine.

LindaOH, You have lots of time to work on your goals.....no going to work, right?

Rita, Grab a friend to help you with the frogging....will go much more quickly when you're laughing, whoopin' and hollerin' about things.

Ok, I'm off to make that pecan pie.....

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm all done except cat proofing and defrosting the little fridge....from now until the 19th is all the time I have.

I did get out the doll cradle my MIL gave my girls about 40-45 years ago. I don't know how long she used it in her daycare, but it looked well used when we got it. Cleaned it up, made a little blanket for it and will give to Salijo at Thanksgiving for her granddaughters to play with. Love passing down from generation to generation those items that only have sentimental value.

Sue, Would you be kind enough to let us know where your blog is so we can follow you on your travels? Did you already post it and I missed it?

Take care of yourself everyone.....it's mandatory for our sanity during this time of year. :)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

Sharon, what is happening at your house that you have to cat proof? What did I miss???? lol
    Giving the cradle to the new generation of youngsters is so very heart warming. You should somehow attach a plaque of the names and dates as you know them of those who have been given this cradle. Your hubby can do this easily & creatively - he has the talent!

I have been so busy w/ life, I can't even get my goals in any order.....but what absolutely has to get done is:
    My first goal was to say "No" to Thanksgiving ~ check! (yay)
    I'm the only one happy with that announcement :)

I had a sewer pipe break (probably been broken -15 feet down for many years)so I am trying to get thru the bureaucratic carp to get my driveway, all the sidewalks, curbs, street, replaced. The break was on the county side - another big yay! Messy, inconvenient, and time consuming.

I have to bind the Salvation Army kid quilt due Beginning of Dec - and make or buy some clothes to dress the bear.

I want to bind the Goodbye Irene Jelly Roll Race quilt-got it quilted - just because I needed something I'm keeping to quilt before I quilt the gifts - its been awhile and I felt I needed to get back into the groove.

I want to finish the Jelly Roll King Size quit I started at retreat. I need to press 2 sections and sew all 3 sections together.

I have to finish the Snowglobe quilt - it gets mailed for Christmas. I also have to piece the backing.

I have to quilt and bind the Crab 9 Patch Pizazz quilt- the backing is already pieced and ready. Also gets mailed with the snowglobe quilt.

I have to quilt the 2 9 Patch Pizazz quilts - one I put together at Retreat and the other I finished at Retreat. They are both Christmas presents.
    I want to make 2 aprons and a few potholders using Jayne's idea of a pocket (for a gift card) and attach a utensil.
    This is last.

Maybe make a few tissue holders and a tea bag wallet thing.

Since I'm not doing Thanksgiving - I'll have more time - that's my theory.

• msmeow
    12 years ago

MRG, I chose the passive-aggressive approach for Thanksgiving and held out till my FIL said he would host this year. :) Like you, I am very happy about that! Now if I can keep from getting railroaded into hosting Christmas...

It sounds like you will be very busy!

I finally finished hubby's quilt so I suppose I should add another goal or two.

Finish T shirt quilt top (nearly done)

Finish Civil War quilt top (?) - the blocks are done and sashing is cut; but I think I want to enlarge it so will need to figure that out

I've got a list in my head of things I'd like to finish this year (or at least the order in which I'd like to finish them!), but I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't get them done.

Donna

• polardream
    12 years ago

Yes Sharon, what are you catproofing your house for? The doll cradle sounds like a fun thing to pass through the generations. I like Marsha's idea. (I have a rocking chair that is 5th or 6th generation to me and I do have a list of the people that have had it since the 1860s!)

Sharon my blog is at the link below. I don't know if I posted it before or not when there was the post about blogs.

Marsha - you are a quilting fiend! Good for you to finish so many quilts for Christmas. Sounds like your life is really hectic.

Donna, I am really anxious to see your tee-shirt quilt. I have wanted to make one but was never sure if I should back the t-shirt design or just use them. What did you do?

I am making progress on my stuff! I have most of the squares finished for the double Irish chain and then need to start assembling.

I pieced another jellyroll quilt yesterday for a friend's birthday on Sunday. I bought fabric for the border today but haven't decided on the backing ... We aren't having dinner until Wednesday so I hope I will have time to finish it!

I LOVE cooking the Thanksgiving dinner - but it is usually just the 3 of us and any stray neighbors/friends that don't have anyone in town. We do the big meal with all the trimmings. Tomorrow I help serve our "senior" lunch at church tomorrow so I just finished baking 4 pumpkin pies and it smells so good I can hardly stand it.

I need to finish wrapping and filling 3 more shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child and get those dropped off tomorrow as well. Guess I had better get busy!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Sue's travel blog

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Hi, Sue - I just took a T shirt quilt class from Quilt University. The knit shirt panels have knit interfacing fused to the wrong sides for stabilization. You're supposed to turn the interfacing so the stretch goes the opposite was of the T shirt stretch, but I completely forgot about that till I had the blocks assembled. Hopefully it will work out okay when I quilt it! LOL

Donna

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Yes, Sharon, I have lots more time to quilt! I made the OSU quilt top and am waiting for the backing to be delivered this week. I ordered it from Fabric.com.
    I finished my birthday quilt today. I had it done last week except for the binding. We had a death in the family last Friday and I am just now getting back to the sewing room.
    DH's BIL died unexpectedly on Friday morning and the funeral was Monday morning. Our kids came home on Sunday evening and left again on Monday evening.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LindaOH, I'm sorry about your BIL. It can be a real shock when it's unexpected.

I am so proud of you girls for just saying 'No' that I can hardly stand it! There comes a time when there's a need to share the work when there's a big group of people, unless you really want to expend the energy. I do appreciate getting together with family, but it's nice to take turns and not saddle the same person every year.

We are cat-proofing because of leaving Prissy and her daughter at our house while we're gone. DGD's boyfriend lives down the road so it would be easier to have both cats here for him to feed and check in on. When they play, they go to town! I think I'm just going to put my special things in my bedroom and make sure the doors stay closed.

Sue, Thank you for the link. I was cracking up while I read about the things you went through after getting your motorhome and getting something to drive around while it was parked. I tried to post a comment but couldn't.

You all are doing good in having things lined up and knowing what you need to do. Good job, girls!

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

It's the 11th and I'm taking a day off work. Can you hear my huge sigh of relief? I survived my conference this week and everything went very well; many of the attendees said it was the best they had attended and that the guys putting it on next year in San Francisco will never be able to live up to this one! My CEO even sent me a big bouquet of flowers in thanks for making us look so good! (A raise would be nice but I'll take the flowers!)

DH is out of town until tomorrow afternoon so I'm going to spend the rest of today doing some baking and sewing! A perfect day off.

Kate

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I napped more than I sewed yesterday, but I did get the border completed on the poppy wallhanging. Had to rip out the 4 corner blocks TWICE because I didn't like them but finally made it work.

Kate

• msmeow
    12 years ago

I finished my T shirt quilt top today!

I don't know when I'll get around to quilting it. There are several ahead of it in line! LOL

Donna