Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

OK, I Admit it...

ritaweeda
9 years ago

I'm a cheapskate. So I just finished cleaning up the sewing room (I finished the Bear's Paw quilt) and I'm looking at all these narrow strips of batting that got trimmed off. Does anyone out there do something really nifty with them to prevent from tossing them? I've sewn larger ones together to make a full batt but I'm not completely insane so I won't be doing that with these. I also don't do a lot of other crafts to use it. I know people use it to stuff things but that's probably not in my near future. Any other ideas?

Comments (18)

• donna_loomis
    9 years ago

You could do a QAYG potholder or two.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Pull them apart into tufts and use them for stuffing! I've done that for stuffed animals and pillows.

Donna

• polardream
    9 years ago

Rita - if you don't want to keep them but want them to go to a good cause, there are people that sew beds for animal shelters and are always looking for filling for them.

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

I second Sue's idea, shelters always have a need.
    Pot holders are another option.
    V

• fran1523
    9 years ago

Sew them into larger pieces and use them as dust cloths or swiffers for the floors.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the pet rescue idea but unfortunately I've been using 80/20 poly/cotton batting. Since animals are prone to chewing up and eating the batting I wouldn't want to take the chance of one of them swallowing any amount of polyester. In fact when I made my darling dog's quilt I didn't use any batting in it for that reason, I just backed it with fleece. So, I didn't think of potholders, I probably have some orphan blocks hiding somewhere. Thanks.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

The polyester could be a problem with pot holders, too.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Judging by the good health of two dogs that ate chunks out of two quilts I've made, polyester doesn't bother them at all. LOL They both contained Hobb's 80/20 batting. Isn't most fleece polyester too?

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I give my small batting pieces to my S-I-L as she does embroidery machine work and makes stuffed animals for the kids in our family. If you are not going to use the pieces I would encourage you to donate them to your local library children's activities or donate to Goodwill stores, I would not throw them away.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

I've used that batting in multiple layers for pot holders. Worked like a charm. Just don't set them down on hot burners....ask me how I know...

• grammyp
    9 years ago

I sew them together to make practice quilting pieces, and if they are really small use them to clean my machines of dust and extra oil.

Jennifer, were you playing with fire again?

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

This is what happens when you put it on a hot burner! lol

• grammyp
    9 years ago

And you saved the evidence?

beverly

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Well, Jen, I expect that would happen to an all-cotton pot holder, too. :)

Donna

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Now Bev, you know I don't keep scraps!!! This was just a saved photo.

Donna, yes it might just happen to all-cotton ones, but this actually melted!

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

My dogs have had a variety of items extracted from their tummies... Dogs have the most remarkable systems...They would even consume Jen's Scrappy melted pot holder ... Lol!

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I stuffed it into a bag and threw it in the closet. BTW, that potholder looks like a monster's lips!

• bev2009
    9 years ago

I know I laugh at near tragedy and I got a good chuckle from your pic. I use them for swiffers, and I don't find it hard to piece for a baby quilt or lap quilt for the nursing home.