Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Recommended applique method..?

susan_on
10 years ago

I'm doing an appliqu� quilt for my nephew and his wife, and I've only done this once before. What is the best applique method/technique for a quilt that will be used a lot? She wants owls in trees.

Comments (9)

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

Owls in trees?!? Is she a Molly the Owl person? LOL - there were a lot of us!

Hand applique is not the fastest, but for a quilt that will be used a lot I like that method the best. The sewn edges will be soft and strong. I'm not crazy about machine applique because I think the edges can be stiff or rough but maybe that's because I'm not very good at it!

There are probably as many opinions about this as there are quilters! Whatever you choose, it will be a lovely gift for your nephew.

Kate

• toolgranny
    10 years ago

Hand applique, needle turn, by all means.

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

I would agree that needle turn/hand applique would be the best, but only if you're rather proficient at it! If this will be your first walk in the park for hand applique, and you're not sure of your skills, then I'd recommend machine applique.

How did you applique the first project?

• susan_on
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For the first project I did needle turn applique. It was a few years ago, but there was a LOT of applique on it. I didn't mind doing it though.

Molly the owl? I should look that up- never heard of it....lol! She sent me a pic that seemed kind of chaotic, so I'm going to tone it down. Wish me luck!

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

I am with Jennifer, unless you have lots of time and experience I think hand applique isn't the best way to go. For a quilt that will be used a lot I would machine applique. Eleanor Burn's technique using a lite wt. interfacing works well and is easy and accurate.
    I agree the hand applique is beautiful but requires a skill level and time. MHO

• vicky4x4
    10 years ago

I have done both and I think for a quilt that is going to be used a lot I would use Steam a seam 2 and a tight small zigzag.

Vicky

• susan_on
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much all, for the good advice. I will do as Vicky recommends.

• janice__indiana5
    10 years ago

Susan, I love to hand applique, but have done quite a bit of machine applique. I vote for what you feel most comfortable with considering your time frame. For machine applique I use a blanket stitch and Steam a Seam 2 Light. The Warm Company has had trouble with their Steam a Seam Regular and Light. They recently have resolved these issues. If you choose Steam a Seam I would use the Steam a Seam 2 light, and look for the new product. Steam a Seam 2 Light is just that, light. It is softer and more pliable. Remember that when using a fusible mirror image comes into play. Be sure to read the directions carefully. After tracing images onto the fusible I also cut out the middle leaving a small border of fusible around the edges of the pattern, then I fuse to my fabric. This leaves a enough fusible around the edges to do the job, but keeps the applique softer and since its not fused, lets the middle puff up more like hand applique. I hope this helps,and doesn't confuse you! Good Luck!

Janice

• susan_on
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is fabulous info, Jan! Thank you for all those details.. that is very helpful to me. I am looking forward to doing this, and I will post a pic when I'm finished.