Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris24

Quilted Cards for Holidays

blueiris24
12 years ago

Has anyone quilted cards? I know it's not that difficult, but I'm in a funk and was hoping to come up with some fun, upbeat ideas but that is not happening..... this is for clients of a charity with differing religous beliefs, so it needs to show something more season-oriented rather than specific holiday (eg snowman vs Santa). The clients of this charity are very ill and so I'm hoping to come up with an idea that will make them smile. Anyone feeling especially creative who can send some ideas my way?

Comments (8)

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

No but I have embroidered soap lol! Martha S. has some cute ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: quiltedCards

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Here's a tutorial that's pretty clever. You could use a variety of seasonal fabrics (snowflakes, cardinals, candles, etc.)
    quilted cards

This is a link to cards you can purchase, and the season is wrong for what you want, but it may give you some ideas. summery quilted cards

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hi
    I love making fabric cards
    I have not made them the way on kays link, but I like that one and will try it.
    I have made them more like an appliquet with a small print or solid and added a design to the center, with lots of dec stitches.
    michelle

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I've always wanted to make some fabric cards, but never could get how to do it easily. I shudder when thinking of sewing through card stock.

Michelle, Would you be willing to give us a tutorial here on the forum? I'd follow along with you....

SharonG/FL

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Michelle, please!!! Thank you to everyone for the links and the info --and Rosa, I need to know the story on that embroidered soap......

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I haven't made any but couldn't you just make a small block, embellish it however you want with beads, ribbon, etc. Then sandwich it between a solid piece of cardstock and another piece that would go on top of the quilted piece like a frame? You could either sew through it all or even use a glue stick to hold the fabric and the cardstock in place. Or use some of those little brads that the scrapbook people use.

Michelle, please show us how you do it!

I should never have read this thread of posts because now I want to do fabric cards for Christmas and I know I don't have time!!!

Kate

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    well I will do my best.

1. choose a fabric for outside and one for inside.

2. cut them to the size I want the card, and cut a piece of feusable web the same size. can use fiable batting if you want batting, but cut 2 pieces of batting(one front one back) or the card wont fold. and cottin not polly batting.

3. fuse the three layers together.

4. fold in half and press the fold rilly good.

5. I fussy cut some nice pieces from matching fabric fuse them on and do some fancy stitching, embelish with ribbon, lace, buttons, beads, glitter, what ever you like.

you can fuse a piece of light solid or muslin for writing on the inside of the card but I usualy do the writing on some card stock and just place it in, that way the card can be used again by the reipient.

I hope this helps
    michelle

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

LOL!!!! The soap is easy! The snowman was embroidered on my machine but I used Halloween fabric and made some for the kiddies.

I use Ivory soap and cut the fabric to fit the soap. Wet the soap a little and press the fabric on top and let dry (overnight) then brush Mod Podge on top and let dry (overnight) I usually brush 2 coats. Wrap it in clear wrap and tie a bow.

The soap is usuable and the design will not come off. It's a hugh hit with kids.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor