Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grammyp_gw

Quilt Retreat Pictures

grammyp
11 years ago

We have all made it to the retreat and will be going to dinner soon.

Here is a picture of Sharon (geezerfolks) surprise. Her dear hubby painted my picture. I have a Harley motor for my sewing machine!

More pics later.

beverly

Comments (31)

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

Varoom! What a great gift. He's sure talented.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Beverly, how fun! What a neat surprise.

Enjoy the retreat, everyone!

Donna

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Nice hubby. Great surprise. FUN FUN all the way. TFS

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For dinner we had fresh salad bar, turkey and dressing, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, rolls, and apple and blackberry cobbler for dessert.

This is the view from the dinning hall this evening.

Kate made everyone a tote bag, so we had a bag signing.

Everyone has settled down and is sewing now, more pictures tomorrow.

beverly

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

What fun to be doing what you love and with friends

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. A good way to get more us to go next year!

• gininmn
    11 years ago

Beverly, what a wonderful surprise your picture is. Love the Harley engine on your machine and your bare toesies! And Wow! The totes for everyone to sign and hold special memories. And I'm salivating to read about your wonderful meal. I really wish I were there. Wishing a great time to everyone there!

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Friday at camp. Got to see the sunrise before a breakfast of fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, vegetarian sausage, grits, biscuits with butter and jelly, (or for the boring, cereal), coffee, milk, and or juice.

Then we had show and tell, too many to show but here is a sample:

Then I drew the winner for the September Lotto blocks, and Kristene won (her first win)

Lunch was fresh salad bar, Shepherd's pie (or vegetarian black bean burger), steamed broccoli, rolls, and coco krispy treats.

More pics to follow, we are having a great time.

beverly

• lola99
    11 years ago

Oh Beverly, thank you so much for showing us the pictures and describing what is going on. It is really fun to see you all having such a great time.

If it's not too much work, would you mind putting names with the pictures in the future? I'm still trying to figure out who is who.

Thanks again for your posts. Have fun everyone!

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Congratulations to Kristene. Aren't you glad you were there?
    Canadian Thanksgiving is this Monday so your first night supper is what we will be having then. Making me hungry.
    The applique work is AMAZING!
    And I love the log cabin.
    Keep up the good work! and FUN!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks for the updates and pictures. Have fun!
    Linda OH

• calliope
    11 years ago

I sure wish names or screen names would go with the pictures. ;-) I certainly am not the only one who can't put the names to the faces.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dinner tonight was fresh salad bar with fruit, pork loin, roasted potatoes with cheese, roasted Brussels sprouts, rolls, and strawberry shortcake. After dinner some of us walked down to the chapel to watch the sun set. It was beautiful.

Our classes today were making tea bag carriers, taught by Teresa:

making pillowcases, taught by Jennifer:

and making gift boxes, also taught by Jennifer:

We also played a game of LRC with B&W charm squares. Trish won the pot.

L to R are Marsha, Beverly, Jennifer, Trish, Robbi, and Valarie.

More to come in the morning.

beverly

• fran1523
    11 years ago

Just like I remember it. I remember that delicious cobbler. Have fun everyone.

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saturday started with a breakfast of fresh fruit, pancakes, sausage, and grits. Then Sue taught the 9-Patch Transformation:

We had a morning of sewing including another game of LRC. This one was won by Kristene:

Valarie, Kristene, Kate, Marge

The game was followed by a lunch of fresh salad bar, pasta with sauce, roasted squash and onions, rolls and chocolate cake. This was followed by our annual quilt show:

I hope I can get us all right:

Left to right: Rosa, Valarie, Cindy, Marge, Kate, Beverly, Teresa, Sue, Kristene, Sharon, Linda, Marsha, (front) Jennifer, and Trish. I think I got everyone.

More later.

beverly

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Almost like being there!
    Almost!
    I am enjoying the meal reports. When one of my daughters goes travelling, she does a day-by-day blog and it always includes the food they have eaten.
    Theresa

• quiltnhen
    11 years ago

What fun. I'm so glad you're all sharing such great pictures! I'm salivating over the food, but even more over the quilts. Hope I can join in some day.

Bravo!

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

What a great time you all are having. Even the weather looks like it co-operating.
    Such lovily quilts, I always enjoy seeing your quilt show.Thank you for putting the names to faces, it makes it even more enjoyable.
    Kristine is going the have to float a loan the pay the postage on all the blocks she is winning.lol. Lucky lady.

• msmeow
    11 years ago

So what's LRC? Inquiring minds... :)

Thanks for all the pictures and updates. I can tell you all are having a blast!

Donna

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Wow, thanks for sharing it all Bev! You all look like you're having a great time. There sure is a lot of talent there, as is obvious from the pictures of those quilts! I see some I want to add to my ever-growing list of quilts I want to do! You've definitely got me wishing I was there! Keep those pictures and menus coming...lol!!

Dan

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Saturday night we gave the camp their quilt. It is the view from our work area toward the riding arena.

Last day at Cheerio, we will miss it here. Breakfast was fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits with butter and jelly, and coffee, juice, milk. We made sack lunches to take with us (or eat here before we leave). We had a group picture made in the dinning hall during breakfast.

Back row: Marsha, Valarie, Jennifer, Jackie, Cindy, Sharon, Sue
    Front row: Linda, Kate, Rosa, Beverly, Kristina, Jeanne, Robbi, Marge

Trish, and Teresa didn't make it into the picture this time.

One of the kitchen workers quilts and paints. She brought some of her painted quilt blocks and an old quilt she has repaired and will quilt.

After breakfast, everyone packed up and got ready to go home. Some of us stayed and did some final little projects. Plans are starting for next year.

beverly

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

Have a safe trip home and thank you for sharing.

• vacuumfreak
    11 years ago

Thank you Beverly for all the pictures and for keeping us updated. It really looks like you all had a good time and I bet some of you are sad to that it is ending... always next year to look forward to :o) The quilts are simply breath taking and the food sounded wonderful!

Safe travels everyone!

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

I really enjoyed seeing these pictures, especially putting a face with some of the names I see on this forum. It looks like a beautiful spot for a retreat! Thanks so much for doing this, Beverly.
    Linda

• wendyfaye
    11 years ago

Great pictures. Miss you guys, but I guess it was someone else's turn to win LRC. ;)

Did you see where the sketch we gave them last year is hanging?

Hope to be able to join you next year. Are the dates booked yet?

Faye

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

The sketch is hanging in "our" sewing room, the big room upstairs in the Sloan Center. Jen pointed out the framed sketch and told the group about it's history.

Teresa

• lola99
    11 years ago

Great pictures and posts. Thank you for sharing the details, Beverly. Thanks for putting names with faces too.

I hope everyone had a safe trip home.

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Donna, I don't think anyone's explained what LRC is...

It stands for Left-Right-Center. There are 3 die with these letters and black dots printed on the sides. You roll them and if you roll a "L" you pass one thing (in our case a charm square) to the person on your left; same for right and center. The black dot exempts you from passing anything.

If you only have 2 charms left, you only roll 2 die, etc.
    The last person to have any charms left wins the entire 'pot' in the center! In our case, it was 70 charms per game!!

One year we played with 2" strips, one year blue/brown charms, another time batik charms, and this year black/white charms.

The fun thing about this game is that if you get rid of all your charms early, you're still in the game because you can always receive from your neighbors! You'd also be amazed at how territorial quilters get over the charms in 'their' pot!! lol

• msmeow
    11 years ago

Jennifer, thanks for the explanation! It sounds like fun. :) We've done a similar game at our Dec guild meeting - there's a long involved story about Mr. & Mrs. Right that has the words "left" and "right" in it about a hundred times. Every time you hear one you pass a gift in the appropriate direction. Everyone who starts with a gift ends up with one, but you don't know who it started with.

Donna

• loisflan
    11 years ago

Beverly, what a great job you did of documenting the retreat. Thank you so much. Congrats Kristene for your big win of the September lotto blocks. Lois

• grammyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You are most welcome Lois. We have such a great time. Almost like a pajama party for quilters. By Sat we all know each other and things can get to be really fun. I am all ready looking forward to next year.

If anyone got some non-blurry pics please feel free to post them.

beverly