Pictures of Sylvia's Bridal Quilt.

Comments (52)

• kay6271
    12 years ago

Wow, SPEECHLESS!

Kay

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Jayne, your quilt is spectacular! I love the blues and browns. The lucky recipients will treasure it and pass it down through the generations. You should be very proud of yourself.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you but I can't say it is a well done. I made 12 blocks over and the points are perfect on some but it was a challenge all the way. 6" blocks:some PP, some with templates, some hand applique, and some just pieced.The quilt is about 112x80. It is just the top so far. I haven't decided about the borders, they may be wider then I like. Will bind with the dark brown.
    The drunkers path has 2" pcs. Which is one that was redone. There are 2 in the quilt with those curveds seams.
    The book was given to me and I felt I had to try it. I chose the fabric around a roll of dark brown FQ that I picked up and wasn't sure how to use.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I keep coming back to look at this quilt! I think the individual blocks are 6", right? Are they all paper pieced?

• lindaoh_gw
    12 years ago

Your "Silvia" is gorgeous!!! I love your colors. I have been sitting here trying to decide what colors to use in an online quilt along. When I saw your quilt I knew what to do! I have scraps from my DD's DWR that are brown and blue.
    I will be interested to see your quilt when it is quilted. What a beautiful quilt!
    Linda OH

• nannykins
    12 years ago

That quilt just blows my mind. It is absolutely magnificent!! A prize winner all the way!!!!! Congratulations!
    Theresa

• polardream
    12 years ago

Jayne, that quilt is stunning! Are any 2 blocks the same? You have great patience to complete that one. It really is beautiful.
    Sue

• cannahavana
    12 years ago

WOW Just beautiful! I love blue and brown together. Been working on a blue and brown quilt too! What an accomplishment!

Rebecca

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Oh Jayne, Your Sylvia is awesome! Good job on your stick-to-it-tiveness.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Saliva? Oh, sorry. wrong spelling! That's me drooling!!

I've always loved the idea of this quilt, but hadn't even purchased the book.

Yours turned out AMAZING!!! I do like your color scheme, and keep thinking about what I would choose. I love your choice of sashing! That two-tone sashing really sets off the blocks!

Thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us all! I'll be sure to show everyone at retreat so they can drool too!

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I love it!! I bought the book when it came out, and was waiting for you to finish yours before I stared making one ~lol~if you have trouble with the blocks.......there's no hope for me :)
    This looks spectacular-definitely one of the prettiest color combinations I have seen.
    You should be proud!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

SPEECHLESS is right, LOL.

Absolutely wonderful, gorgeous, spectacular, and I have too many superlatives to say!

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

Oh my! Yes....I'm speechless - 6" blocks and each one sashed? Ohhhhh....this sashing challenged person is awestruck. You should feel very proud of yourself for this creation.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am pleased you all like it. The color isn't really a blue but teal and aqua.
    Sue, no 2 blocks are the same but some are simular.
    The sashing was put on that way because all of the 6 1/2" blocks weren't true and the brown was used to make them a true 7 1/2". The tan 1/2" to tie them together.
    Marsha I have no doubt you could make it but there are a few errows in the book to watch for. The patterns must have been written by several different people, some more talented then others.
    When I made it I wasn't sure who would get it but my DD mentioned that she would like a brown quilt so it will be hers if it ever gets quilted. Still not sure which way that will be.

• Joan Dupuis
    12 years ago

Wowwwwww, is all I can say. It's gorgeous. Your DD had better appreciate it. Be sure to show us once it's finished/ quilted.

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

What a wonderful job. I know how much time the blocks take and then I look at your sashing and can't imagine how you do it. I have 60 done and just gave up. Maybe I'll take it up again one day. Yours is beautiful.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I called my husband over to look at it because I knew he'd appreciate it as well. Holy cow is all I can say. Beautiful choice of fabrics.

• day2day
    12 years ago

It is stunning!
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• Robbi D.
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! It reminds me of the Dear Jane that I'm working on. I love the fabrics you used, too.

Robbi

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Robbi, your Dear Jane in brights is the same quilt so this is what you have to look forward to! Yours will be beautiful as well. It's a huge commitment but when you see Nanajayne's you know it will be worth it!

Kate

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

I went to Google Images to look at some other Dear Jane quilts. I'm so intrigued by this because I haven't always been so impressed by this pattern, but now I understand why this one is so special! It's the block borders and sashing! I didn't see another image that had the individual dark borders around the blocks. That's the winning factor that pushes this quilt past our expectations.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

I'm finding more and more quilt-alongs using this concept. Some are 4 1/2" and some 6".....Dear Jane, Farmer's Wife, Blocks from the Past and Sylvia. I suppose there are others, but how they're put together is really what makes the quilt pleasing to gaze upon....IMHO. Jayne did an awesome job using the dark frame and choice of colorway.

SharonG/FL

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous! I'm in awe of the time and talent to make such a quilt. What a treasure.

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One of the things that I did a bit different with fabric was not using the same background fabric in all the blocks as some did. That is a way to tie them together but I wanted a more scrappy look and decided on using the dark brown to unite them. I didn't add the brown until the blocks were finished and had mixed feelings until I saw them put together.
    Kate, Dear Jane and Sylvia's Bridal arn't same but simular. (4 1/2 vs. 6 1/2)I have a DJ that I am pc. by hand. MUCH more difficult. That probably will never be finished. LOL

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

It is stunning Jayne!!! I could not bear to part with it. It belongs in a museum, you MUST enter it into a show. An absolute masterpiece.

How long di it take to complete??

I'll never post a pics again, I can't even try to compete with your talent LOL!!!!!!!!

Rosa

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Thanks for setting me straight on the jane/sylvia thing. All this time I thought they were the same thing!

• bozogardener
    12 years ago

This is truly awesome. Great job!

• salijo
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• faintheart
    12 years ago

Jayne, your "sylvia" is amazing! I love the color combo you chose. What a wonderful accomplishment! Thank you for sharing this beauty.

D

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Jayne:
    I clicked on the picture and it took me to your Photobucket page.
    Oh My! Everyone a stunner. You are one talented and prolific quilter.
    Beautiful! Beautiful!
    Theresa

• nannykins
    12 years ago

PS I sent a copy of the picture to my sister who is working an a Dear Jane. I am sure she is drooling over this one.
    Theresa

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

Well I just now clicked on this one for the first time ever, and boy have I been missing something! Makes me want to just haul off and slap my grandma clean across her face! What a masterpiece, I don't know what else to say. If I made such a jewel, I would be afraid that the Angels would suddenly come down and declare "OK, time to go, you're finished here." WOW!

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Jayne! My DD would love it...her apt is decorated in turquoise and brown!

Now that the fall fairs are over and my guild show is next week, you have motivated me to get mine out again. I am using purples and greens with a very faint purple background. A group of us from my guild get together once a month and have worked out a lot of the problems with the instructions for the blocks. I think 2 of the 15 or so of us has finished all of the blocks. Mine will be a WIP for some time I fear!
    Thanks for sharing.

Mary

• nannykins
    12 years ago

Mary!!
    I was missing you. Glad to see you posting again.
    Theresa

• tuppermom
    12 years ago

Fall fairs and our upcoming guild show have kept me busy!

Feels good to be missed!

I WILL get working on my Sylvia's quilt....if I keep repeating it, it will happen!

Mary

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary. I made 12 blocks over and there are several that probably should have been but as you know it is a challenge. Looking forward to seeing yours, it sounds like it will be very pretty. Would like to see those that your group made. It would have been a help to have their input.

• User
    12 years ago

Jayne, absolutely stunning!

I stalled with my SBQ at about 22 blocks. I'm so glad you mentioned that they weren't all the same size; I think that's what got me discouraged. I'm going to borrow your sashing idea because I love the way it frames each block rather than it all blending together.

Again, WOW. You have accomplished an amazing feat.

Dianne

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Everyone talked about this quilt at retreat & I hadn't seen it yet. SO AWESOME!!! I'm glad I popped in to see it - you did an amazing job!!

• lola99
    12 years ago

Jayne,

Your quilt is so amazing, beautiful, and INSPIRING! I seriously doubt I'll ever even attempt anything like that, but just looking at it inspires me to quilt more.

Thank you,
    Lola

• karpet
    12 years ago

Jayne - Oh my goodness! I had to come back and look this up after reading it in the quilt-lift thread. Wow,wow,wow! Soooo, someone gave you the book and you felt you should try it?!? How long did this take you? AND you're working on a Dear Jane by hand??? Great job, great job, great job!
    Karlene

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karlene,
    My dearest friend tries to feed my interest:books and quilting. I can't recall when I started on the quilt but I didn't get serious until this spring. At one point I was trying to do a block evey 2-3 days. Planning color, working the pattern and putting it together. Some were easier and I could do them a bit faster.
    As to Dear Jane, she will never be finished I am afraid.
    I am giving some consideration of rethining and maybe do some with the machine. Someone gave an interesting site with instructions. I think with different template I might have more success.
    Thank you for your interest. Jayne

• karpet
    12 years ago

Jayne - how many blocks are there in a Dear Jane? What colors are you using in that one? It does seem to help keep the progress going on a quilt if you set a goal like finishing a set amount each day. I wouldn't give up on the Dear Jane - if you just got serious about the Sylvia's Bridal this spring, you were very productive!
    Karlene

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karlene,
    There are 167 4 1/2" blocks and bordered with 108 cone shaped blocks and 4 corner cones. It states that there are 5602 pieces in the quilt. I have only made 19 of the sq. blocks. The prospect isn't very good that I will finish it as it is going. I may investigate another technique. I would like to do one. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Jayne

• fran1523
    12 years ago

I am blown away. It's gorgeous.

• vicky4x4
    12 years ago

This is the quilt my daughter Emily has asked me to make for her when she gets married.

There's no men in sight yet (Praise God)

Your "Sylvia" is beautiful and the colors are wonderful!!!

Vicky~

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful Jayne!!!

• maritime_linda
    11 years ago

Wow! What an accomplishment! Congratulations, Jayne!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Could someone please pick my lower jaw off of the floor for me? It dropped there when I say that quilt top. It is amazing!!!

• luvtosharedivs
    11 years ago

While reading this thread, I've gone back to view the OP a dozen times, at least. I think everyone has used up all the adjectives I had in mind. However, I can add that the quilt is surely "eye candy"!!! 140 blocks, and every one different...a masterpiece to be proud of.

Have you added the borders and quilted it?

You are an inspiration!

Julie

• nanajayne
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was surprised to see this thread re-opened and pleased that you enjoy it.
    Julie. There will be no further borders but I am binding it with the dark brown. The 140 blocks are quilted by hand, each different with the hope they can stand alone in the crowd. lol
    The next step is to machine quilt the sashing ITD, then I will hand quilt the border and bind the edge.
    Thank you again for you kind words, I wish I could be prouder of the workmanship but accepted the fact that it isn't perfect.