Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynative

3-D pinwheel quilt question

wynative
12 years ago

I plan to make my granddaughter a 3-D pinwheel quilt but am not sure what to use to make the pinwheel's stand up. I have been told by a quilt shop to find some soft but stiff iron on stuff but they don't have any.

Has anyone made one or something similar? and what did you use?

Thanks in advance for the help1

Marie

Comments (15)

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

It might help to know how the pattern is construted and how the pinwheels standup in the quilt.

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the tutorial I will be using:

http://sararulesquilts.blogspot.com/2009/06/3d-pinwheels-tutorial.html

Sorry I don't know how to embed the link.
    Marie

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Marie, you don't need to embed it. Just paste it into the URL box under the text box.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marie's link

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Marie, the pictures didn't come up for me, but if the pinwheel is anything like this one, I don't think you'll need any extra fabric/stablizer. There's already 5 layers of fabric where the second fold is and that's without the batting and backing.

Also, think carefully about how this is to be quilted. I had a couple blocks with 3-d flying geese that 'my quilter' quilted for me and she said the foot would get caught. I have 3-d blocks made for a baby size quilt without the second fold....probably should get them out and look at them.....it's been years.

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: 3D Pinwheel Block Tutorial

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Marie I'm not sure what you mean about them standing up. This is the denim 3D that I made.

Rosa

• msmeow
    12 years ago

Sharon, I quilted one small quilt with 3D pinwheels and had the same problem. You don't want to quilt them down, but if you get too close it's easy to get the foot caught in it.

I've never heard of doing anything to make them stand up, either.

Donna

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the info. I have never done anything 3-D and it just made sense to me when I ask the lady at the quilt shop in Colorado about it and she agreed that it needed something extra to help them stay open.

Sorry about the link... I had 2 of them that I was saving and posted the wrong one. I am using the one the Sharon posted :)

Rosa - very nice quilt! Did you have to press them to make them open or does it just look that way naturally?

Marie

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Marie, This site gives a nice picture of a quilt that shows how the blocks look.

Rosa, I like how you used white for the pinwheels with the denim. Did it end up being really heavy?

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: 3-D pinwheel quilt

• rosajoe_gw
    12 years ago

Yep it is heavy!!! I was given some (a bolt lol) of thin muslin and I had a ton of jeans left over from charity projects.

Sooooooo I decide to use the muslin as 3D, it's going to be used as a picnic quilt. Now about 3 of the guys in my fam wants one lol!

I washed the muslin, dryed it on hot, then ironed with a lot of starch. I saw one very pretty girly that was a pink print with solid pink 3Ds.

Here is one that is really cute too!

Here is a link that might be useful: 3Dpinwheel

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

Marie,

I couldn't see the pictures, but I think that's the website that I used.

I'm doing one for my DD's baby quilt. Might actually be the project I work on today at Retreat so I'll be able to post a picture soon.

You don't need anything extra to help it stand up, and wouldn't want stiff stuff anyway unless it's to be a wall quilt. By the time you fold the way you need to, it shows dimension just fine.

It is a bear for quilting...many professional quilters would turn this job down, I think.

I'll post mine soon.

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As per quilting: I was planning to just do it on my little machine and 'stitch-in-the-ditch'. I thought that would be less stressful than turning it over to someone and worrying about them messing the 3-D effect up.

Batting: I do not know what this stuff is called but the fabric store here has some real thin batting that I used on the last baby quilt. It doesn't make them as 'puffy' but was a lot easier to quilt on my little machine than the regular batting and I believe it is just as warm.

Marie

• jennifer_in_va
    12 years ago

I use Warm & Natural for all my quilts. It's a thin cotton batting (I buy it by the roll from Joann's) and I find it to be great to work with, and plenty warm.

I think stitch in the ditch with these blocks would be fine providing the blocks aren't too large. If you do a block 10" or more then you'll have to do some kind of quilting inside the block as well.

can't wait to see yours! Mine has all it's components sitting on my table to sew tomorrow before leaving retreat.

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jennifer,
    I was planning on 6" blocks (I think LOL) Be sure to post a picture of yours - I need inspiration :) I hope to get mine started today but I have so much to do not sure if that will happen :(

Marie

• User
    12 years ago

I have a tutorial for 3-D pinwheels in my Someday file. One of the last pictures shows how to get them to stand up.

http://sararulesquilts.blogspot.com/2009/06/3d-pinwheels-tutorial.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Another tutorial for 3-D pinwheels

• wynative
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Diane - I can use all the help I can get :)