Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Winter 9-Patch Pizzazz

Some of you will remember this from a couple years ago. Marsha very kindly quilted it for me and I think she did an outstanding job. Another UFO done this year!!!!

I had meant to take a picture of how I did the binding by machine but forgot. I'll do it later.

SharonG/FL

Comments (21)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very nice, ladies! I like the quilted snowflakes. Sharon, it will come in handy during our long winter 80 degree days. LOL

Donna

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

I do remember this quilt and it's lovely. I'm crazy about the 9-patch pizzazz! Marsha did an outstanding job - the snowflakes are perfect!

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Lookin' good. I'd love to see the machine binding.
    LindaB/CA

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Just love how you put this top together and wow to Marsha on the quilting...well done!
    V.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

Excellent work done by both of you! I love the 9-patch Pizzazz! Might have to try one of those someday.

Teresa

• grammyp
    10 years ago

Nice, and the quilting fits it perfectly.

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Thanks ladies. I used a light grey Glide thread which has a shiny, glistening affect. Sharon is a perfect piecer, all her seams are matched, squared and flat-makes quilting so much easier.

I love 9PP -- another one is definitely in my future!

• day2day
    10 years ago

Lovely quilting.
    Kudos to both of you.
    TFS.

~Geraldine

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous, both the piecing and the quilting! It's reversible now. I like the 9-patch pizazz pattern too.

I haven't looked at UFOs in a very long time. I should make that a priority for next year.
    Rosa

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

That's really pretty Sharon and the quilting Marsha did reminds me of falling snowflakes. Ya'll did a beautiful job, congrats on finishing it. TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosa, UFO's were my main goal this year and with everything that's gone on with me physically, I didn't get as many completed as I thought I would, but that's ok. At least 3 quilts made with orphan blocks/birthday blocks, 4 UFO's completed and at least 4 worked on and closer to finishing....maybe next year. :-) I allowed myself to start a new one but it's at a standstill right now....go figure! LOL

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As promised, here's a picture of the binding done by machine. It's ok by me.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the corner. Three stitches between needle jumps is ok, but I like 2 or 2.5 better. Need to tack the snouts on the corners, yet. Yes, I sewed on the turned over binding part in a few places.....never claimed to be perfect. :-)

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Sharon, were you able to use the backing fabric for the binding?
    Your binding looks great and your miter perfect!
    I sew almost all my bindings completely by machine. My quilts are meant to be used and abused. Sometimes I use the blanket stitch, but mostly I straight stitch. I had a 'perfect' system on my other machine, but will have to play with the settings and needle placement on my new machine to find that sweet spot! I have 2 quilts waiting for binding and a 3rd coming up soon (hopefully).
    I think one of the secrets to very good looking machine bindings is very precise cutting of the strips. I also find that bias double fold behaves nicer on the final stitching; it just seems to fold over nicer.

• bev2009
    10 years ago

The quilt looks beautiful and cuddly. I had to look up the pattern. Does everyone just make up their own, or do you feel you need the book?

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I have made several and the book is worth every penny. It is a 'method' quilt - no two are going to be alike, but the formulas and how to's will guide you to make an exceptional looking design.
    This is a book I recommend.

• redmary
    10 years ago

Great team work! Love the snowflake. Mary

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Impressive team work... the pattern and quilting were meant for each other. Nice work all around. Good job. TFS

• bev2009
    10 years ago

Sounds like a good book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bev2009, I bought my book used through Amazon. Like Marsha said, it's more about the formula and how to achieve the end result. This was way outside my normal box and I was almost afraid of it, but would do another without hesitation. :-)

Marsha, Yes, I used the backing fabric for the binding. Worked out just fine. :-)

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Just for reference, I've linked to the book.

I found this book to be very enlightening about the interplay of blending colors and contrast and creating movement. It definitely made me think differently and the concepts have stuck with me.

The temptation to start another is getting stronger - oh no! :~)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nine Patch Pizzazz book

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH