Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

stuck in a rut

karpet
14 years ago

Is there a quilting therapy group for quilters who are stuck in a rut?

Karlene

Comments (19)

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You're here, aren't you?! LOL

Seems like this is a great place for those in a rut...or otherwise.

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

What kind of a rut do you feel stuck in? Tell us all about it. We're listening...

• grammyp
    14 years ago

How about I send you a piece of fabric and challenge you to do something with it? Would that help?

beverly

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

beverly - great idea!
    Climb out of that rut with small baby steps - make a few blocks for the Lotto - there is still time- very small commitment - easy to accomplish, even if you don't care for the bock. Mail it, and you're done!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oct Lotto

• solstice98
    14 years ago

You've got the monthly lotto, the birthday groups, Geezerfolk's seasonal challenge for next year, an applique lotto every two months, and the Baltimore Album project that Odessa and I are starting in January. Do any of those things appeal to you?

Tell us what kind of a rut you are in and maybe we can help.

Kate

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sigh, this is really, well, I'm not sure what it it! I have one quilt that has 1/4 of the binding sewn on, and it sits, I have another all pin basted, but I need to finish the binding before.....I have another that just needs 8 blocks finished for the outer border and it is ready to be pin-basted. And I'm not doing much - I don't know if it is the shortening days, if it is the colder than normal temps, if I just need a break, but I'm already thinking of other things I want to start. Just need to take baby steps forward I guess. It's hard sometimes with only cyber quilt buddies - although I really do appreciate all of you! It's just been years since I've sewed with anyone. None of my friends sew or quilt. Thank you all.
    Karlene

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Karlene, I totally understand!

My son's birthday quilt is just sitting, because the quilting pattern I envisioned just doesn't work! He was here tonight for his early birthday dinner, so I got to consult with him, and we have decided on the pattern. But I still have to do it and bind it.

And I have 3 Quilts of Valor, completed, with embroidered cases, and the darned website is broken. My emails were answered, but I still don't have a destination. I will get one at the end of the month if I have to sit on the phone demanding one, LOL.

Crap happens, and some of it kind of paralyzes us. It's sort of creative constipation, LOL. I feel that way right now, but it will pass.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Creative constipation. LOL. Good comparison. Sort of like writer's block. It hit me several months ago. Part of my problem was I had too many projects in the mill, would get overwhelmed and all of my quilting projects became distasteful because I was missing that adrenaline you get when you get one done.

It started out with that stupid spider web quilt. It has thousands of pieces, and it just got so sick of working on it, I stopped just a row short of getting the top done. Then I promised a quilt to my dd I had pieced the top on, but didn't feel like framing and quilting it because I wanted to get the spider web quilt done. LOL. The eye of God quilt needed to get bigger, because I wanted it to go on a double bed, and I was really sick of it, because it's one of my earliest quilting projects and frankly it's a lousy job and I was clueless. Then I got sidetracked with the black and white and .........challage, because it was fun. Then there were the blocks I'd won in the lotto hanging on my design wall and I needed to make a bunch more to make it quilt size. Blah, blah. I just floundered.

I got the challange done, and sent it to a g'child. Then absolutely forced myself to finish up the spiderweb quilt. I made a decision to send the birthday quilt to have it machine quilted, no matter what it costs. The Eye of God is going to be a twin bed quilt now and I'll just tie it and get it OUT OF THERE!

Suddenly, as I made the decisions to finish everything off, my enthusiasm re-emerged. I promised myself I wouldn't start anymore projects until I was completely done with what I have, but I found out I'm going to be a grandma again in February, and am making a baby quilt now, but I don't feel overwhelmed anymore. I'd doing it first because I don't want to feel pressured to finish in time. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

I think if you can just get one project to fruition, your juices will start to flow again. I know how you feel.

• day2day
    14 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * Posted by calliope (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 2:46

..............It hit me several months ago. Part of my problem was I had too many projects in the mill, would get overwhelmed and all of my quilting projects became distasteful because I was missing that adrenaline you get when you get one done.............
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calliope,that was me a few months ago. I had too many projects on the go and I knew I wouldn't move to something new until all my UFOs were FOs.....that's just the kind of personality I am.....but I was overwhelmed....getting nothing done.

I took a mini vacation...and when I got back in early October, I had energy to burn. I'm finishing up all those bothersome projects AND getting a lot of housework done,( cleaning cupboards,windows,defrosting fridge/freezer, cleaning out closets etc.)..... that's a REAL miracle.LOL.

Karlene, sometimes I think it's a minor burnout. You need to do something completely different. I don't know what will do it for you but you'll get your quilting mojo back. Think positive.

~Geraldine

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I agree it's hard when you don't have anyone to have those face to face quilt discussions with. That's why I love this group so much! It's the same for me and gardening - none of my neighbors gardens. Lean on us for encouragement and sharing. The forum is always here, any hour of the day or night!
    Can you post pictures of your projects? That might help you get a little more fired up about them.

Kate

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I agree with Kate - this place has become my lifeline to the quilting world. I am taking some classes, but it is almost always different people, and that is also not necessarily fun.
    I took a class Friday - and this person, I did not know, picked up my cutter and started to cut my fabric, because she wanted me to do it her way! I had to physically take the cutter from her - I sternly said " Please don't cut my fabric" and that wasn't good enough!!! So Karlene~cyber quilt buddies will never cut your fabric!!!! Point being.........çyper quilting buddies are better then real quilting strangers.

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

Karlene, I've been feeling a shift of "something" as well. I went into my quilting room and sat down yesterday and just looked at the room. I realized that I have not put away the fabric of completed quilts, I have 2 projects sitting on my sewing table, my cutting table holds a new Christmas project...well you get the idea. I also noticed that it's darker in the afternoon so I told myself I would buy one of those daylight bulbs to make the room brighter. As I sat, the problem of my low spirit (rut) became clear. I had way too much going on in my room! I'm one of those crazy people who likes to have things neat and clean after I complete a project. And being new to quilting it's hard for me to have several projects going at once. I like to complete things then take out another thing and so on.

I decided to put away the fabric and scraps, also put the projects waiting to be done away, I decided to clean a corner that holds a bookcase (that is long overdue). Then I made a list (I love lists ~LOL~) of what needed to be done! And you know I felt better!! I got up and left the room and I now have a plan. And I will take baby steps to complete the plan, not overwhelm myself and start having fun again!!

I know that your passion will return, sometimes we just need to step back and give it a rest, and before you know it you'll be walking back to that sewing machine with a smile on your face. And Fall is such a wonderful time of the year, yes the days are shorter but the light and the shadows of the day are awesome...and the cooler weather is so nice after the summer heat!

We love you and care,
    Susan

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

Karlene, Try and not look at, or think about, all the projects. Chose one for today......that's the only project in the house......you love how it looks and can't wait until it's completed! The next day, chose another project and do the same thing.....that's the only one in the house!

Sharon

• odessaquilts
    14 years ago

Posted by day2day (My Page) on Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 7:19

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *
    .... I had too many projects on the go and I knew I wouldn't move to something new until all my UFOs were FOs.....that's just the kind of personality I am.....but I was overwhelmed....getting nothing done.

I took a mini vacation...and when I got back in early October, I had energy to burn. I'm finishing up all those bothersome projects AND getting a lot of housework done,( cleaning cupboards,windows,defrosting fridge/freezer, cleaning out closets etc.)..... that's a REAL miracle.LOL....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, day2day, I haven't yet scheduled MY house cleanup ... I assume you are taking reservations to come to each of our houses and do all that stuff for us, too, right??? (winking, giggling, and holding my sides because they ache from laughing....)

Actually, Karlene, you could have "Seasonal Affects Disorder", which is a REAL condition that seems to strike as the days get shorter. My family has a lot of sufferers of this malady.

What works? It's different for everyone. Some of us (as we've already demonstrated) like to do a little bit of "cleanup" or straightening up our workspaces. For some of us (like me), that doesn't help because we don't really have a single area where everything can be stored (oh, to have a REAL sewing room for my stash and my machines .... Santa, are you paying attention?).

Some of us will make lists of what needs to get done and by what date, and perhaps a list of what we want to get started on.

For me, my brain is sometimes working so quickly with ideas that my hands cannot keep up. This past Sunday, I pulled out a little sketch book that I keep in my purse for just such emergencies: as our minister was talking, I was seeing projects in my mind's eye and I needed to get them down on paper. I was listening to her speak, and it was just inspiring me to create. Now, if my mother had seen me, she'd have been mortified, but I was feeling moved by the sermon to be creative; I think God wants me to use my creativity, so I did. And when I told our minister what was going on, she completely understood. I think I got the basis for 4 or 5 wall pieces on paper. Now, if only I could find more hours in the day to quilt.......

I have discovered that sometimes having UFO's is not a bad thing. I had 16 blocks in a traditional Maple Leaf pattern that had been hanging around my house for about 12-15 years or so. I used them to help illustrate that pattern when I taught I beginning piecing class years ago. Last summer, my Godson got married and those blocks turned into a quick quilt top that I whisked over to a friend for longarm quilting. I was glad that the blocks could now be used by someone who would ultimately appreciate them.

I have far too many projects in various stages of completion. For me, I get bored easily and once I discover that I can do a new technique successfully, the novelty seems to wear off. But I never tire of ordering fabrics, trying new things and coming up with new techniques. I suggest getting involved in a block/fabric swap for a quick jolt of inspiration. There's nothing like getting new fabric in the mail to inspire you.

But most of all, hang in there. This feeling will pass and you will be back to your usual productive self.

Best of Luck to you,

Odessa

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all - this has been a lot of fun to read. I have been trying to go out and sit in the sunshine yesterday and today - have had too many gray days here recently. I'll let you know when I move off of dead center and start rolling again - it is so much more fun to be productive! I do like the look of the binding on this quilt and just need to finish it. Thank you all again - this has been a great lift!
    Karlene

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

You might go looking for a new sewing pal. You can check out local Guilds, ask around at church for a stitcher's group, ask a local shop owner about quilter's groups, and see if a local rec center has one, too. If there isn't anything out there already, you can make up a name for your own new winter stitches group, write a short description of what you have in mind, and post a notice in all those places inviting people to contact you.

You might not find anything, but it never hurts to look!

• katy122
    14 years ago

I hope you know how much you have helped all of us vent our frustrations, it was really good for me to read all of the posts that have responded, I was feeling the same way and was becoming somewhat depressed over the whole thing and I was beginning to think I was the only one in the whole world that felt like you were feeling, now I feel much better....I am working on UFO's and while I am making somewhat of a dent it becomes really maddening when you look around at the mess you have made and you cannot envision how to organize everything the way you would like, thanks for writing down your thoughts, you have surely lifted everyone else's spirits. Sue

• karpet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ta-da! I actually finished attaching the binding on the one quilt so now I just have hand work left on it. It will be good to be moving something along. I do have a lot of threads and basting stitches to remove so I hope that part goes faster than I think it will. You all have been a great encouragement to me. Thank you so much.
    Karlene

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Good for you! Sometimes all we need is a little encouragement.

Kate