Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

QoTD 10/16/11 - Blogs?

K8Orlando
12 years ago

I haven't paid much attention to blogs until the recent Moda Country Fair thing last month. Their marketing plan worked because I visited several fabric designers on their list. Although I'm not selling anything and don't have any intention of doing daily or even frequent posts, I've started working on a blog just as a way to document my quilts and share them with friends. I know some of you already have really nice blogs set up.

So the theme of the questions today is blogs.

Do you have a blog?

Do you use it as 'show and tell' or as part of a quilting business?

Do you enjoy keeping it up and how often do you add posts?

Will you post a link so we can see what you've done?

If you aren't blogging yourself, are there some you visit regularly? (Feel free to share sites you like by posting the link!)

Kate

Comments (16)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, I don't have a blog and don't care to have one. I spend too much time on the computer as it is. I look at Lindaoh's when she posts something but other than that, I try to keep up with Wilma's World. She has a long list of other bloggers at her site that I can pick and choose from. I haven't been through all of them, but it's interesting and another way to pass the time of day if a person can't get to the machine. @:)

SharonG/FL

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilma's World

• sandlapper_rose
    12 years ago

Well, not much response here. I think people must be enjoying outdoors. Not much posted on the garden section of GardenWeb either this weekend.
    I have multiple blogs and really enjoy blogging. I try to just read a few each week because I sure spend too much time on the computer! LOL
    Mine is mostly person although I do have a related business. I try to post at least once a week.
    If you want to visit mine, just send me an e-mail message and I will send you the site or sites. I have two blogs relating to Quilting, one related to Greek Cooking/Healthy Eating, and one related to Travel and Trying to Teach Myself Polish. Quite a collection!
    I'll be interested to see if anyone else blogs.
    Jeanne

• toolgranny
    12 years ago

I am good at writing but not good at sharing. I'm too private to post things I'm doing on the internet for others to see. Guess that makes me a good blog reader. I seldom do, however.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeanne - you have email!

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

This forum is as much sharing as I'm comfortable with. I write fairly well, but like toolgranny, there is very little I want to share with the world at large. I have one quilt blog bookmarked, but I haven't looked at it in months. I have enough ideas in my own head.

If I did blog about anything, it would be about misplaced and misused apostrophes and the non-word "alot", LOL.

• nanajayne
    12 years ago

I don't have one and not sure if I would like to but most of all I don't understand how one goes about having one. Is there a place the explains the process?

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jayne, check out blogger.com or wordpress.com. Both free and both offer instructions. I used blogger. There are dozens of templates so can get started in just minutes, but you can also customise it so as you get more experienced you discover more options.

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

I had a blog once but I lost interest and just didn't want to take the time to keep it up....so, I lost my domain. I have to much to do to "play" on the computer much. I do this much early early am while having coffee then pretty much do not log back on until the next day.
    Those with good blogs can make money at it as well as keep everyone informed about what is going on in their lives. One very successful blog I can think of is "pioneer woman". Hers has really taken off, I noticed the other day that she now has a show on Food Network TV. Good for her!

• polardream
    12 years ago

I enjoy reading blogs and do have one - it is about our travels. We are planning a 3+ month trip to Mexico in our motorhome and started it this summer as a way to keep family/friends informed about our travels. I ususally try to post every couple weeks, but will do more as we travel through Mexico. I still need to get something up about the Camp Cheerio retreat!

I use blogger.com and Windows Live Writer. It is really easy. If anyone would like a link to my blog, send me an email. Haven't figured out how to make any money at it - will leave that up to DH.

Mary - I love your comment about misplaced and misused appostrophes - alot! :) hehe

Sue

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Hahaha Sue!

I like this Alot.

I'm buying this Alot on a T-shirt for my son. It will be a nice stocking stuffer at Christmas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyperbole and a Half

• magothyrivergirl
    12 years ago

I do read blogs. I am very inconsistent ~ no real favorites, I jump from one to another. I read one and think I am going to follow this person....but I don't. I really don't want too much personal stuff - just give me the sewing-quilting stuff!
    I think keeping up a blog is very much like a full time job~I've got one of those :)

• lola99
    12 years ago

I do not blog, but I do enjoy a number of quilt related blogs, and in fact, I read them alot [sic]. The ones that I tend to like the best have lots of pictures of quilts and tutorials.

Some of the blogs that I read often include Crazy Mom Quilts, Glorious Applique, and Sew Katie Did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Mom Quilts blog

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I liked 'Hyperbole and a Half' ALOT! (Ha!) Thanks for sharing that one and the others that were posted too. Like I said at the beginning, I'm just now getting into this and am enjoying the variety and scope.

I only have a couple entries in mine but I'm going to post the link here anyway. After talking about the thing, it only seemed right to show you I was really doing it! The plan is to get pictures of all my quilts posted, gathering the photos from two old computers, my phone, a couple digital cameras and photobucket. See why I need to do this? I've never really organized my quilt pictures; maybe the blog will inspire me to get it done.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: K8Quilts - my new blog!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Kate, Your blog is great!!! I don't see how you have time to do so much so well. @:)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

How do I get so much done? I don't do much housework and I don't sleep very well. (And I spend some time on-line when I'm supposed to be working!)

• loisflan
    12 years ago

Kate, I loved your quilts and I really enjoyed your blog. I look forward to keeping up with it and seeing your accomplishments. Thanks. Lois