Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

60 degree angle ruler question

loisflan
9 years ago

I made a quilt recently for which I cut triangles from a 6 1/2" strip to make hexagons. I struggled to get the accuracy I wanted during piecing. I started thinking today...

I used a 60 degree pyramid ruler that had the top 1/4" of the triangle cut off. In other words, it was flat on top. The top edge of the ruler was exactly 6 1/2" from the base. When I made my second cut, the cut began about 3/8" from the first cut. My fabric triangle looked just like the ruler - flat on top. If I had used the 60 degree angle marking on my 6"x24" ruler, I would have ended up with a triangle that was exactly 6 1/2" from base to point, a little shorter than the triangle I cut with the pyramid ruler would have been if it had a point. I bet this would have meant the fullness I fought with at the center of my hexagons would have been eliminated. But the base of the triangle would have also been a little shorter - 7 13/16" versus 7 1/2".

Am I thinking correctly? If so, why do they make rulers like that? Or did I just buy the wrong ruler? I guess I just have to try it with my 6"x24" and see if it works any better.

Comments (3)