Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

Older quilt purchase

bev2009
9 years ago

We went to a friend's garage sale at their deceased parent's house and bought this quilt. They are pretty sure it was Amish made for their 50th wedding anniversary about 20 years ago. I got it for $100. I'm not a collector, my DD was with me and wanted it for her bed. They had several others I passed on, but it was hard. Did I get a good deal?

It's on my queen bed just for pics.

Comments (17)

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is delicate cycle in the washer OK?

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! I think you made a great purchase!!!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Bev, it's lovely!

Donna

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

it's just beautiful!!

• quiltingfox
    9 years ago

I think it's really beautiful Bev, especially with the pink in it. I think it was a great find.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• wendyfaye
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I am a big fan of old quilts. Enjoy!

Faye

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I'd say, yes, you got a good deal, Bev. It's a beauty!!!

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I must admit the other quilts keep playing through my mind. There was a Grandma's Garden and a pink and white one you all would know the name of. A couple were just quilting, no piecing and there was one with applique butterflies I wasn't crazy about. The sale open to the public starts tomorrow. I don't know if any are still available. What do you think? I really liked both the Grandma's Garden and the pink and white one. Decisions, decisions.

• voila
    9 years ago

I would wash it by hand in the bathtub with gentle swooshing around. Use a small amount of low sudsing soap, rinse and hang to dry out of the sun. When you lift it out of the water, do not lift from the edge of the fabric. The weight of the water logged quilt can tear the stitches and fabric. I just fold the cloth on top of itself and put it in a clothes basket with a towel in the bottom. Years ago my DD had an old quilt that she used for her dolls. It was only about 2x3 in size. I threw it in the wash with other clothes, and the cloth disintegrated in spots. Your DD has beautiful taste. I hope she enjoys it.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Voila. I will wash it that way.

I didn't even wait for a response from you all, I called my friend and told her I would buy the two I mentioned above. Then each DD can have one.

I haven't even related to all of you the story of my sister and the very old quilt. They had to empty the three story home of my BIL's aunt from out east. She was never married, had turned into a hoarder in her old age and never got rid of everything from past generations. You can't even imagine!
    Well, my sister brought home some furniture which included a very large cedar chest. While I was at her house we went through the top foot or so, but didn't really dig down.

When my sister did, she found two old quilts and instead of calling me first, she threw them into the washer. I couldn't believe it. One came out fine, but the other one had two squares disintegrate. She lives an hour away and I haven't seen them yet. I'll see if she can send pics. (Boy did I yell at her. LOL)

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

CAn't wait to see pictures of your new treasures!

• grammyp
    9 years ago

Oooh, I'd say you got a very good deal. Love that one.

beverly

• nanajayne
    9 years ago

I would say you got a bargain. Are they hand quilted?? I didn't think the Amish quilted by machine but I am probably wrong. Beautiful quilt hope to see the others soon.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, they are all hand quilted. I'll post pics of the other two once I get them.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

That's a beauty, a pattern that I've always admired but would never attempt to make myself. From what I've read, the Amish don't make quilts with printed fabrics for their own use (they only use solids) and they won't use the color yellow. They also do hand-quilting. But I think I also read that some have chosen to make quilts outside of their own use for sale using prints and perhaps even machine-quilt, although since they don't use electricity they may only use treadles. But I'm not positive on these facts.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a large Amish community here in Northern Indiana, and they sell a lot of quilts to the public. I always admire their beautiful work.

I'm sure I would never make this quilt either. I started a Grandma's Garden and haven't picked it up in quite a while because it is so tedious. I need to get it out again for when I am watching TV. And yes, it is very scrappy. I'm still a beginner quilter and try and use the fabrics I have on hand. Once I consider myself more accomplished, I'm work more on planning ahead with the fabric, buying what I need to make a more planned out quilt.

• polardream
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to the other quilts.
    Sue