Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_adq

Treadle Sewing Machine Information

Sharon.adq
12 years ago

Hello,

I recently aquired a treadle sewing machine. It is in pretty rough shape and very rusty. We have not been able to find any identifying markings other than the words "Silent Princess" on the front. We think it might be a National but aren't sure. I would appreciate any information relating to this machine. Can anyone suggest a contact for parts or information on how to use the various feet. It came with a small metal tin that is full of feet and tools. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    12 years ago

Hi Sharon, I can't help you with your question but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

SharonG/FL

• gininmn
    12 years ago

Join Treadle On and ask for help in the forum. Very knowledgeable folks there.

And welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Treadle On

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Gini, thanks for that link. I have inherited a treadle machine from my sister in law that belonged to her grandmother. I haven't even tried to use it yet but when I'm ready I think Treadle On will be a great resource!

Kate

• gininmn
    12 years ago

It's my goal for the upcoming winter to learn how to use the treadle I bought last year. I've never used one. Although my grandmother had one, I never saw her using it. I'm sure she sewed a lot in earlier years, having 12 kids. By the time I came along (maybe the 12th grandchild), I think she was just kind of worn out. Once I get so I can sew a straight line of stitches, I'd like to try free-motion quilting with it. A couple of years ago, I went to a quilt show in Wisconsin where Damascusannie (she used to be a frequent poster here--collected antique machines including a Damascus) was demonstrating FMQ on her treadle. That was when I decided I needed a treadle and wanted to learn to quilt with it. My treadle (named her BellaRuby as she's a beautiful Red Eye Singer) only has the regular foot and it's a back-clamp one. So after learning to make it go and before challenging myself with FMQ, I need to get an appropriate foot. Likely I'll have to convert the machine to a side-attaching bar as finding the back-clamping foot might be tough. Treadle on has some excellent instructions (and knowledgeable members) to help me with this conversion.

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Gini - I love it that you name your machines; I do too. My treadle is Miss Hubble, after her original owner.

Kate

• Sharon.adq
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the advise! I really appreciate it. I still haven't been able to find out who the manufacturer is but we are having a great time searching and learning a lot in the process.

• bullmom
    12 years ago

I just received a Silent Princess and it came with an old and brittle instruction book. I am not 100% sure it is for this machine, but it is for a treadle. The name on the book is Mead Cycle Company, Washington and Canal Sts., Chicago, U.S.A.. I hope this information is helpful.