Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Survived PT.

Posted by grammyp (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 15:41

Had my first physical therapy today, and survived! It felt so good to get those big bulky bandages off and have some fresh air on my leg. They put me through some stretching and strengthening exercises to do twice a day, iced it, re-wrapped it, and sent me on my way. She thinks I will be able to do the bike ride next week if I ride the tandem and put the flat pedals back on. The rides are short and flat, so not much pressure on the knee. I can drive as long as it isn't a stick shift, do stairs (but not carrying anything), and shower as long as the stitches don't get wet. I go back Wed for another hour of work with weights. Thursday I will see the doc again and make sure things are going well.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes, they are so welcome!

beverly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Survived PT.

Congrats! It's not fun but it's important. I wish I had gone longer than i did!

o

Isn't ice wonderful? You sound like you are progressing nicely. Yay!

o

Oh, I can't say enough about keeping up with the PT. Good job!! You'll be moving around freely very soon!

Go as long as you possibly can, because a good therapist can spot pretty quickly if your needs change, as in one muscle may need more work than another.

DH has been having PT for his back pain for the last 3 months. He's down to once every 3 weeks, and if he doesn't keep up with the exercises, pain ensues. His therapist can always tell if he's been doing them.

o

Ice is a lifesaver. I still ice most evenings. Like Mary says, keeping up with the PT is critical. It's easy in the beginning but after a while it starts to drag and you can't really see much improvement. But if you stop, you can rapidly lose some of your range of motion. I've been bad about doing any exercises the past month and I'm paying the price; I've got some work to do!

o

Congratulations! You have the right attitude and the will to accomplish a successful recovery. Good luck. Jayne

o

Beverly, Sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing and will be among the riders next week. Keep up the good work.

SharonG/FL

o

Wishing you a speedy recovery! PT is not for Wimps!

Hang in there!
Gwen

o

That made my day! Happy that your therapy went well. I'm sure there was some discomfort, but can see the great reward in store when you are done.
I have seen a lot of knee surgeries here, and the successes are the ones that do what they are advised.
Keep up the good work and attitude.
Marge

o

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I did my PT last night and this morning. I am a bit sore, but not bad enough to take my pain meds. Biggest problem right now is stairs. I have to take them one at a time and remember step up with my "good" leg and down with "bad" leg. I'm getting there!

beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here