Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

LOTTO - 4th Quarter and/or December 2014

K8Orlando
9 years ago

Paper Piecing or Regular Piecing Lotto
It's a LARGE Block!
4th Quarter 2014 (This is the last lotto block of the year; there is no block specifically for December.)

Along with the regular monthly Lotto, we are going to have one block each quarter for those who want to try something special. As with the regular Lotto, you can make 1, 2 or 3 blocks. Mail them to littlehelen by the end of the quarter along with $1 to cover mailing the blocks to the winner.

If you have questions, post them below or refer to the 2014 Lotto-at-a-Glance post for general lotto instructions.

4th Quarter - due 12/31/2014 (anytime before Midnight!) - constructed either by paper piecing or regular piecing, whichever you are more comfortable doing. This is a beautiful 20" block from Fresh Lemons called Radiant Spendor. It's a fresh approach to a block that dates from the 1800's! How cool is THAT?!? We'll stick with the original plan and do it in Christmas red, light green and white. OK for any shade of red and OK to use Holiday prints. Also OK to do reds in the center and green for the outside stars or vice versa. Let's keep to a white or W.O.W. background so they all go together.

Radiant Splendor is a laaaaaaarrrrgge block so it won't take many to make a nice quilt, wallhanging, or Holiday table topper. It's from the Fresh Lemons Quilts website in the 'tutorials' tab. They are easy instructions and it includes a very detailed tutorial. Here's the link Radiant Splendor Block at Fresh Lemons

Don't be scared! It's not as complicated as it looks! It's just some flying geese - the quilt kind, not the fowl kind - and some squares.

The colors are soft greens, deeper reds and white for the background so we'll use this vintage Christmas card for our inspiration. Almost any green will work as long as it isn't too harsh; avoid "kelly green".

It's the last LOTTO of the year! Give it a try!

Happy Sewing and Happy Holidays!
Kate

Comments (27)

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Kate, you are very funny indeed! lol

I might try this one...there may be time to get it done. I'll try!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Val has made one of these blocks for a different project. Maybe she'll post it so we can see it! It's really beautiful and either this block or Swoon are on my list of quilts to make. I haven't tried Swoon yet either, but that pattern is copyrighted so we went with this one for the Lotto.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I made a swoon block and think I'll make it into a table topper. I meant to get my Christmas fabrics out today for this project but I forgot! Guess there's still time. :-)

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Here is a radiant splendor that I made to try, I'm debating whether to make this one a pillow or wall hanging, either way, it's a fun and lovely ole block!
    Next up.. A holiday radiant splendor!

This post was edited by littlehelen on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 17:07

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Radiant Splendor in the Christmas red, light green and white....there are no instructions to fussy cut the center, I just happen to have a fat quarter that worked out to fussy cut. Any combination of Christmas red, lite green and white or WOW will work...
    Have fun making the very cool 1800's block!

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Love it! Those fabrics worked beautifully together. I need to get mine cut!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I cannot find my Christmas fabric. Need to bring in the tall step stool to get to the top shelf so will wait til DH goes to bed. He always wants to help but this is one thing I need to do myself.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Be careful! Maybe you should let him hold the ladder for you?!?

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Dont go climbing up on stools when you are alone. Too, too dangerous. No more falls for anyone.
    Theresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thank you for your concern, ladies. I'm ok and didn't fall....had to wrangle that bin off the top shelf but got it down safely. Just glad I didn't have to stand on top of the dresser to reach it.....I've done that before but really didn't want to do that this time.

There isn't any light green, just Christmas green, so will have to check my regular green stash for that. I have some red poinsettia fabric for the center star and might be able to even find something to fussy-cut.

SharonG/FL

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Glad you didn't fall, Sharon. DH, DS, and DDs have all forbade me to get on the stool without someone watching me since breaking the arm last January. LOL I think to myself, I won't fall again. But, hey, I would have said that before my fall, too.

Very pretty block. I hope I can get one done. I do have Christmas fabric on hand.

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those who don't have Holiday fabric, remember it doesn't have to be Christmassy.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Mine's done. Will post a picture soon... plan to mail it when I finish November's block.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Here's mine! I went with the Christmas fabric in the middle, like Valarie's. If Sharon does it as well, then they'll coordinate well. (See, I'm even trying to control 'scrappy' in everyone else's quilts too! lol)

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need to rethink mine and find the Christmas fabric shoebox. Val's and Jen's are so pretty!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

My center star is more like V's but my green isn't as light as either one. I don't have it all sewn together yet.......if the green doesn't work out, I'll keep it......I think the light gray in my Nov block is too dark so I'll probably end up keeping that one, too. Taking a break as nothing seems to be working out.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sharon - everything you make is pretty! I'm sure it's all fine. Wait til you see my November block and you'll know your gray can't be too dark!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Thank you, Kate. I'll get the Nov block back out and take a picture. Will need to move the big cat.......sigh.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Jen...nice block...yes our blocks will coordinate, scary that a scrappy and non scrappy mixed... Seems odd ð±

Sharon, nonsense...I ditto what Kate stated...plus I'm sure all will be fine...remember no quilt police!

My November block gray is probably too light, but it's what I had in stock. Based on Kate's moon pic, every gray will work in my humble opinion. Variety makes it interesting!
    V.

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

Here's mine! I went with the Christmas fabric in the middle, like Valarie's. If Sharon does it as well, then they'll coordinate well. (See, I'm even trying to control 'scrappy' in everyone else's quilts too! lol)

{{!gwi}}

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

I might try this one, especially since I missed November. and, I do have lots of Christmas fabrics that someone gave me! Perhaps it will satisfy 'sewing something Christmas' itches....

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Hi...I betcha ya'll forgot about this one...I did :-:, sorry. Only had three entries, but pretty nonetheless. Anyone on-line, pick your favorite number: 1,2 or 3....

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I'll choose #3.

SharonG/FL

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

the wooly Boston Terrier ..says...congratulations to Jen in VA...our final winner to the 2014 lotto!

Thank you all for a great 2014 Lotto year!
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

Congratz, Jen! These will make a nice table runner for the Christmas season ..... or individual placemats ..... or large hot dish pads for Christmas Dinner ...... or finish them off and use to wrap Christmas presents, year after year after year. :-)

SharonG/FL

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Congrats, Jen...I really wanted to do this one, but just could n.o.t. get to it. (I even had the fabric washed n ready, but.....no way.) Hope you enjoy...those blocks are gorgeous!!!!

• jennifer_in_va
    9 years ago

YAY! Thanks ya'll! I'll find something fun to do with them!

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA