Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

QOTD - Favorite response

loisflan
9 years ago

We've all gotten some touching or humorous responses when we've gifted one of our quilts to friends and family. Tell us about some of your favorites responses. A picture of the recipient would be fun too.

Comments (5)

• magothyrivergirl
    9 years ago

As I handed the Christmas gift bag with the quilt barely peeking out the top -- my DS & GF (very soon to be Bride) both squealed like little kids yelling "She made us another Quilt! We love it! Thank you! Thank you!" My laughing response was, "You haven't even opened it yet-how do you know you love it???"
    They keep a very clutter free house, so I was afraid they would be polite, but ask why I would make them another quilt? Their reaction to another quilt makes it all worth it (and makes up for the lukewarm response from someone else -- well, not really......but close.)

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I guess this is a favourite response. I gave several chemo quilts to my husband's charitable group which is having a Mall sale this week. I was away for a few days and came back to a phone message from a cancer survivor asking if I would make a queen sized quilt. I presume she saw the quilts at the Mall. I have not answered and am not really in favour of doing it. I may call and just hear what she is looking for.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

The quilt I made for my friend who recently lost her husband...I didn't wrap it or anything - just handed it to her and said I made it because I'd been thinking of her so much. She cried and about squeezed the stuffing out of me! :)

Donna

• polardream
    9 years ago

I made a small throw quilt for my DIL (son's girlfriend at the time) for her birthday a few years ago. We were going to be out of town, so I asked my son to give it to her. No problem. He had gotten her a new digital camera. He said when she opened the quilt, she did the happy dance and squeal thing. Then, when she opened the camera she was excited, but it was like a let-down after the quilt. His response to me was, "Thanks, Mom. Thanks a lot! You sure know how to ruin my great gift." When they were moving into their house together a year later, I was helping paint and her mom was helping her unpack when her mom saw the quilt. She said it would make a darling baby quilt ... then in a louder voice so I could hear, "What do I have to do to get on the receiving end of the quilt-giving?" I have yet to make my "out-laws" a quilt, but maybe in the future.

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

I'll just copy this previous post from back in 2012: The quilt that I made for an Aunt (my mother's half-sister). I included an embroidered square in the middle that my mom had done. When she called to thank me, she said that meant so much to her, to have something that both my mom and I had made all in one. She said it was THE most wonderful gift she had EVER received in her life with one exception, the engagement ring her deceased husband had given her. What made my mother's block so meaningful to her was, they were half sisters and raised separately. She really never had a chance to know her until just a few years before my mom passed, and when they were finally able to spend some time together, my Aunt really grieved over the lost time that they could have had together.
    Also, one I made for my Uncle (her brother). He actually sent me a poem about the colors of West Virginia's mountains that he said the quilt reminded him of. What a sweet thing for a man to do!