Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minnie_tx

NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

minnie_tx
11 years ago

NEW! Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

This notice is at thetop of the page It looks like going forward pictures posted on the forum ill automatically go to facebook nd Printerrest. I've aked for clarification but no answer yet.

I'm not on fcebook and dont intend to be

Comments (26)

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I'm curious about this and iVillage doesn't provide much information. I don't have anything against fb and am occasionally active there, but I don't want to have things I post here on the forum randomly sampled and reported on fb by iVillage. First of all, it could be out of context and not make much sense outside the forum. But even more important to me is that I'm selective about who my messages go to on fb. I'm friends with several co-workers and don't really want them to see my name popping up on fb with a time stamp that shows I was on during the work day! I guess I could set up a new identity here with a name that wouldn't be recognized, but that would be shot the first time a picture I post here is posted on fb by iVillage.

The more I think about this, the more questions I have.

Kate

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I'm on FB but not for iVillage.....I'll friend any of you if you want.

SharonG/FL

• kathi_mdgd
    11 years ago

I think everysite is starting to cater to FB and twitter and those kinds of places.Photobucket also is doing the same as is webshots.Webshots changed their name to smile and changed everything else along with it.

I couldn't manuever around the new PB so i switched back to the old,now i can't access that either,so i can't get to and share any of my pictures.Wish they'd all follow that old rule,"if it ain't broke,don't fix it".

I hate these kinds of changes,maybe if i was 30 years younger i could deal with it,but at this age my brain is already too full of other stuff to try and cram anymore in it.Just Sayin"
    Kathi

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Just my personal opinion, but I think Facebook, Pinterest, My Space, etc. etc., are just a lot of hooey. In no time something new will come along and those will be passe. I certainly don't want to insult or offend any members here. I just think many of the devotees of FB should just get a life or a hobby - say....why don't they try quilting? It can be just as addicting as staying on the computer 15 hours a day? And some people have jobs that prevent them "Liking" this or that or the other.

Sorry, end of rant.....

So, if we posted a link to the pictures of our quilts on a web host, could iVillage consider those photos theirs?

Teresa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

Teresa, once you post a picture here, it's accessible to anyone. There aren't any restrictions on this site so any search can bring them up. Same goes for any text - once you hit 'post message' it's there. iVillage doesn't own your pictures but by posting them on a public forum you've put them out there for all to see.

Kate

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Actually once you post a pic here it does kind of belong to ivillage. Somewhere on here there is a post about this. It becomes their property or basically by posting you are agreeing they can use your image anyway they like.
    That is posted somewhere on their read this stuff stuff.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

I don't/can't post photos here because of my internet connection. I do belong to Facebook and Google+, they offer me a way to keep up with what my long distance children are doing.....they are young, smart phone users, and feel the need to post most any and everything. I very rarely post anything there. But the younger more tech savy generation are heavy heavy internet users. I totally agree with teresanc, some of them need to keep some stuff to themselves and get a life.
    I also do not go to Pinterest because it is so compelling, I would waste a LOT of time there. I have enough trouble finding time in the day for all I want to do without having to fight the "internet addiction" as well....lol
    As for as ivillage using the posted photos, are they going to make the forum conversations available on FB as well?
    We do need more info
    Murphy

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

Just noticed that there is a big discussion on the Cooking forum here. Check it out.....I understand (I think) a little better what is happening with the facebook pinterest thing.....

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like Facebook for keeping in touch with my family. We were always close knit and never had issues like so many families do. When retirement, jobs, etc. caused moving to other states, we can still keep abreast of daily happenings. DGD, who is at college, posted wanting to know if cake mix can be used for cupcakes! It wasn't me, but she got a quick answer as someone is usually online.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    11 years ago

Would you 'computer savvy' folks continue to post information here as you find it? I don't have the wherewithall to investigate this on my own, but sure would like to know what you come up with in the way of answers.

I "watch" Facebook but rarely post. And have an inherent problem with posting pictures on FB, especially those of my children. If pictures from here are getting there, I will be even more restrictive on what I share. Quilts are one thing, family is another.

Thanks.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

I agree, Jennifer: I'm happy to post pictures of quilts, pets and plants, but very reluctant to post human pictures and would not post pictures of children. I'm amazed when I see people do that.

Anything can turn into a time wasting addiction, but fb can be a useful tool and a great way to keep in contact with family and friends. My husband's whole extended family uses fb and we've all become much closer because of it.

Here's a link to the discussion on the cooking forum for those who are interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking forum discussion on facebook/pinterest

• nannykins
    11 years ago

My family keeps in touch with a site called MyFamily.com.
    And I am pretty sure that is a secure site since you need a password to access it. Lots of pictures there and comments.
    Although the younger members are also on FB.
    Theresa

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

We tried MyFamily first, but anyone under the age of 55 was already on fb and we all sort of migrated over there. We set up a group for the family but most of us post outside the group too.

• tuppermom
    11 years ago

I discovered this forum by doing a Google search for something quilt related. Once you post here, whether it be conversation or picture, it is for all the world to see. I too, am on Facebook. My daughter is in Montreal and son #1 is in New Zealand. Keeps us in contact with each other and I have also reconnected with long lost cousins and friends. I try to limit my time on the internet but know I spend too much time on the computer anyway. I have a Pinterest account but don't spend much time there. It is a good way to organize internet sites you would like to go back to though...easier than organizing bookmarks in my opinion.

Mary

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

If I Google my user name and gardenweb, I find posts no longer cached on Gardenweb (~2006 - 2007 and later) - but they are out there on the web. I expected no less. I even found some I would prefer to forget.

If you post it, it's public. That has been true for years, and I'm astonished anyone thinks posts here are private and exclusive.

I enjoy posting my quilt photos, but if I designed something I might want to sell later, I wouldn't post it.

I just don't see this as an issue. Don't want anyone to see? Don't post.

• murphy_zone7
    11 years ago

maryc, you are exactly right....NOTHING ever drops off the internet. Once there it is FOREVER! Which is why I am very careful about what I put out there of a personal nature. AND it always amazes me at what people will post. Some of those young people may live to regret what they put "out there".

• ritaweeda
    11 years ago

I've always realized that posting here can be accessed by anyone searching online if they search long enough and are interested in reading the post. The chances of someone I don't want knowing about my posts and linking them to me are possible but pretty slim, although I haven't posted anything that I'm trying to hide from anyone. But beyond that, I don't personally do FB, to the chagrin of all my relatives who do. If anyone wants to do that, that's their business, I just don't want my stuff "out there" to whoever. People post things that they forget that they might not want some to see and feelings get hurt and relationships get ruined. If I want someone to know something I'll tell them personally or by email. So, now I will have to re-think whether I want to post anymore photos here. There might be a personal thing about a project that I don't want displayed and "liked" or "pinned" by a bunch of strangers. I like to think of all of you as friends and don't mind your views and reviews of my projects, but I don't like the idea of the world outside of GW having the same privilege to do it. I want to be in control of my world, so I want to be able to pick which social media giant to share it with.

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

My niece has a business and uses FB and Pinterest to advertise. I don't care for either because of the petty bickering and the members that feel they have to post and repost every litle thing. I have very few 'friends' and some days I feel I need even less lol!

My teen DGDs are on FB (monitored by both parents daily) and if I did not know their fake names I could not find them lol!

FB just recently allowed minors to have an account - what a joke they have had accounts for years lol!!!

I do not post anything on the Net that I would not want the world to see, either on this forum or any other. I have searched for info on the Net and frequently find our posts and posts from another forum I have joined, that doesn't bother me at all.

I also realize that after I post a pic of a quilting project it maybe copied.

Soooooooo my posts will not change whether we are on FB or Pinterest or any other social media.
    Rosa

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I do think this will affect our forum - for the worse! We are slow enough without this - and what is the reason for joining a forum if it will be reposted and available for people outside of the forum to see??

I have noticed that the direction forums are going is you can 'lurk' and see everything - but you can not post without becoming a member.

If we had a vote I would say "NO"!
    Rosa

• littlehelen_gw
    11 years ago

Interesting discussion...Like many, I have a FB account, but rarely post and really don't want to link FB and GW. I like this quilting exchange, think of all of you as my quilting buddies and don't need it connected to the rest of the FB world. Posting pics of quilts, pets, food...that's fine and on reflection, I'm pleased the PB link of the retreat did not work. I do understand once something is posted on the internet it's there for the world, but really...who but those interested in quilting is going to lurk around and read all the posts? Lastly, I don't pretend to understand all of the hoopla around FB, twitter, etc. or how all of it's connected and honestly don't have the time to invest to learn about it all. I'd rather be personnaly interacting w/ those around me or Quilting!

• mary_c_gw
    11 years ago

Rosa, we have always had lurkers! For every person who posts, you can count on at least a couple of dozen to hundreds who lurk.

Some even have GW accounts, but just never post, or never post here. I found some when google-searching my name for my comment above. Someone who has never posted on the quilting forum used the clippings function, and saved 4 or 5 of my quilt photos. Did I know at the time - no. But I knew nothing here was private. Do I care - no.

I lurk at some of the other forums - I enjoy Home Decorating, but rarely post unless someone has an upholstery question, just as an example.

• nanajayne
    11 years ago

I am surprised that people weren't aware that information isn't private on the internet. Unless a site is locked, and even then it isn't completely safe, it is available to anyone that takes the time and effort to find it.
    I try to be careful what I share but mostly it is a game of chance. I do FB and enjoy it. It keeps me intouch with people that I otherwise wouldn't hear from. Post that offend me are deleted but most I ignore. The games offer diversion and interduction to new people from all over the world but caution is prudent.

• K8Orlando
    11 years ago

"...available to anyone that takes the time and effort to find it." Exactly. For me, the issue isn't that the information is available. I have never thought that anything I post is private, but some of it is segregated enough so that it isn't in the face of a casual observer. My co-workers and my boss don't visit GardenWeb (that I'm aware of!) and never come to our quilt forum. I do not share with them the fact that I visit here a couple times a day during work hours, just to see if there's anything new and interesting posted. It's a little mental break and I don't feel bad about doing it, but it's not the sort of thing a boss might appreciate. But I am friends with some of these people on fb. If I 'like' GardenWeb, then it's possible the GW posts will start showing up on my fb page, visible to my co-worker friends. Now imagine that one of MY posts or pictures of my quilts gets snagged by GW and posted. The picture links back to the forum. My co-workers have hypothetically been lead back to these pages, a place they would not normally '... take the time and effort to find.' I don't think what we post here is private, but until now it's been separate. I liked that.

• chickie1
    11 years ago

Very interesting discussion. I read GW daily but very seldom post. Mostly because I share a computer with hubby. I enjoy reading what my quilting friends are doing. Do I want everything I post out there for all to see . . . no but I do realize whatever I type and send is out there for all to read and see. I would rather it be limited to just this forum. And I have a FB account and again I read alot and very seldom post for the exact same reason. I think my age and career as a teacher has trained/taught me that whatever you say or write can come back to haunt you, so be careful.
    With that being said, I love reading everyone's comments, ideas, suggestions and seeing your lovely work. Please continue.
    Darlene

• nannykins
    11 years ago

Did anyone watch Criminal Minds last night?? Gave me a chill.
    Two families were abducted and during the course of the investigation, it was discovered that both families had their own blogs, with all sorts of personal info about themselves. Wide open for all to see and "fair game" for some pervert.
    So the big word is CAUTION!
    Theresa

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

Darlene, we would love to see your pics!!!

Theresa, I did and DH and I were discussing the same thing. Also, just in our itty bitty rural town, people's homes have been robbed while they were on vacation. How did the person(s) know they were gone - they posted their vacation plans on FB.

I have my FB set to be viewed only by friends, and I keep my travel plans (and other personal info) off the site. Some of my younger relatives post their every move on FB - we olders are always telling them don't do it!!! And don't even get me started about the pics they post of the little ones for the world to see. They are far too naive and trusting!! Maybe I'm getting too cynical in my old age!
    I needed some info from the Orlando court house and when I went to their site they were advertising, join us on FB and some other social media site. WHY?????
    Rosa

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz