Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k8orlando2

Marianne Fons: The Quilts of Valor Foundation

K8Orlando
9 years ago

This is an email message from the Quilts of Valor Foundation. It's a strong and moving message from Marianne Fons and I thought you all might want to read it.
"Moving Forward" Series Message #5
From Marianne Fons

As one who serves on the board of directors of Quilts of Valor Foundation, I write to express my thanks to the entire QOVF community.
Of all the charitable pursuits available in the quilting world and beyond, I have sometimes asked myself why I was drawn to Quilts of Valor, why, like everyone involved in QOVF, I spend many hours every day-as well as considerable cash for fabric, postage, and, lately on travel to attend conferences-in support of QOVF's mission, rather than on something else.
The answer is easy: Because I don't know what to do about war.
I understand that conflict is part of human nature, and that war is not likely to end in my lifetime. I don't know what to do about it, but I do know how to make quilts, and I believe strongly in their healing power. Thus my support of QOVF and its mission to heal military service members and veterans touched by war. Thus my willingness to be a board member, to serve, as we all do, at our own expense.
I have watched the growth of QOVF in recent years with awe, sometimes even with personal pride when people suggest the "Quilts of Valor" documentary I co-produced with Iowa Public Television has helped raise the awareness of the foundation. When I got involved around 2009, I believe the count was under 40,000 quilts awarded. Now it is over 106,000. That's amazing growth.
Every not-for-profit organization designated as a 501(c)(3) must meet the IRS's financial and reporting requirements. QOVF has chosen to create a new membership structure to continue meeting those requirements. In addition, the new membership fees establish a way for everyone to share the burden of the growing administrative costs of operating a national service organization.
Because I make most my QOVs on my own, I have joined QOVF as an individual, but I'm hoping to join as a group member as well. A local friend in my small town in Iowa is a newly retired public school teacher and wants to get back to her quilting. She has indicated a willingness to handle our new group's financial paperwork by serving as Group Leader. It's neat to think that when we sew locally on QOVF National Sew Day this coming February, it will be as a registered local group.
I know that change can be hard. During the transition to the new QOVF everyone wants complete and accurate information and to understand the impact of the changes on them. During this time it is important to have constructive and civil discussions regardless of differences of our opinions. We can agree to disagree; however, we must be mindful that QOVF's mission is why we volunteer.
Many apologies if I seem to be on a soapbox. I am only expressing my own feelings, expressing my heartfelt thanks to everyone who has made and continues to make Quilts of Valor, and encouraging all to look upon membership simply as an opportunity to continue to support the mission and core values of Quilts of Valor Foundation and to uphold its maturation.
When I met Catherine Roberts in Houston in 2008, one of the dreams she expressed was for Quilts of Valor and National Service to become household words. I share that dream.
Thank you for sharing that dream with us.

Marianne Fons

Comments (4)

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I saw one of their episodes where they talked about this and went to the website to investigate it. It's a very worthy cause and I applaud those who invest their time to it. But there were quite a few rules and regulations for making the quilts that I wouldn't want to adhere to. I understand that they want quality quilts that are worthy of gifting to our heroes but I don't do well with that sort of "quilt police" philosophy, that's why I hesitate to get in on any sort of group projects. I guess my early days of freedom to do my own thing-hippy-dippy thinking still have an influence on me!

• toolgranny
    9 years ago

Rita has a point. Our local group broke off from them because of all their rules and management and do the same thing on their own. The aim is good and there are lots of groups doing this same thing so anyone can make a quilt for veterans and find it a good home. We all have the same goal in the end.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    9 years ago

I feel like they want me to pay them to be able to volunteer my fabric and time. I have never even considered letting them know the quilts I've given to the Military as that would defeat the purpose on my end.

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have made quilts for QOVF and like the opportunity to send them quilts that I know will get into the hands of vets. The notes I've received back on some of them encourage me to continue donating. Now that Orlando will have a large local VA Clinic it may be easier to donate locally. If you know someone or some other organization, that's great. The reason I posted this isn't as an ad for QOV, it's because I share her philosophy that no matter how I feel about any particular war, I support the men and women who are sent to fight. I can't change the world, but I can quilt so I'll do what I can do and hope that it helps someone, somewhere.

By the way, once they know you can provide a product of decent quality, they ease up on the rules. I don't have a long arm but they let me quilt my own quilts. I'm sure people have turned in some really dismal quilts to them and their rules are in place to ensure every vet who gets a quilt, gets something nice.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm