Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

Plaids-What Came First....

...the Maverick Stars or the 9-Patch? At this point, it's 51X63. I plan on a plain medium tan border next and then there will be some auditions.

SharonG/FL

Comments (32)

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

I really like the quilt Sharon! I have some plaid shirts I bought at Goodwill and I have been looking for patterns. Yours looks great!
    Rosa

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Nice combination of blocks, Sharon! I can't wait to see the border. :)

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosa, Most of that fabric came from thrift shops/yard sales plus one from the Geezer's closet. :-)

It's a variation of Quiltville's Maverick Stars. I made all the stars first and had planned on making the sashing as stars also, but it came at a bad time and making the sashing and cornerstones appear as 9-patches was easier for me. The background fabric is all the same and I ran out! Needed one more 3 1/2 square for one of the corners so just used a light plaid.

This will be put on the back burner until I can get a quilt made for my friend who is having a mastectomy. Just found out about it on Friday....as did she! I found a few pinkish orphan hat blocks and a few other orphans that will work, plus I'm making smaller heart blocks. This is all the easy part!

SharonG/FL

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

I love the plaids!!! I think the plaid 9 patches, each block using all the same plaid, gives the eye a place to rest thru out the quilt.
    Maverick Stars is one I would like to make. I have been putting plaids aside for awhile --- maybe I'll be a copy cat --- if you don't mind.
    When Bonnie Hunter happens upon a random different block (your light plaid 3 1/2) in a quilt, she always points it out with so much approval! Yours would definitely make her smile.

So sorry about your friend. I wish her a quick recovery!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Go ahead, Marsha....copy all you want. It was more than I could handle to pay attention to everything, so towards the end, I just went for it. You'll do much better in spacing fabric around. :-)

SharonG/FL

• K8Orlando
    10 years ago

This turned out great! I love Quiltville's Maverick Stars - mixing it with the 9 patch and the border you used - it's a perfect combination.

I started a shadow stars quilt last year using plaid shirts from Goodwill, but made a terrible mistake with one of the fabrics. It didn't feel like an acrylic but the first time I set iron to it the darn stuff shriveled up! Kind of put me off the project for a while, but it's still on my To Do list.

There's just something so right about plaids and stars!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aw Kate. Just keep going with your shadow stars and don't use that fabric....along with DJ, of course.

I think this quilt will probably end up at DD's new cabin in the mountains of northern GA. I think it kind of looks like it belongs at a cabin.

• loisflan
    10 years ago

Sharon, your quilt really looks great. I love plaids. Someday I will try one too. And you're right. It does look like it belongs in a cabin. However, it would be wonderful anywhere. Lois

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon, all I can add is Love It! That is a perfect cabin quilt if I ever saw one, just love it...May need to copy it as well...you got us started on another path :-)
    V.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

This quilt is wonderful, Sharon! I really love it! What's not to love? Plaids, stars, 9-patch, and scrappy - what I call a controlled scrappy.

Yeah, I can see one in my future too!

Teresa

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments. I'm really happy with how the sashing and cornerstone made a secondary pattern. I think using the same size squares as the stars makes it stand out more. This is really the first time I've used plaids in a quilt but can see myself doing it again some day (maybe). One thing I will suggest is to buy a few child sized shirts along with the men sizes. It will give you more of a variety. I now have a lot of plaid scraps and pieces that need cutting into squares. :-)

Always happy to enable my fellow enablers.

SharonG/FL

• rosajoe_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon, I found that out the hard way lol!!!! A thrift was having a clearance sale and I bought all of the XL cottons they had.

I see all of the colorful plaids that men wear (women too) but I guess they don't wear them around here lol!!!!! Most of mine are darker colors.
    Rosa

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Positive vibes to your friend. She's lucky to have you for comfort.

The plaid quilt is wonderful. I had to go back and look when you mentioned the corner. I agree, that plaid corner is an asset.
    Linda/CA

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

Sharon I think it turned out really great! Are the plaids flannel fabrics? TFS.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Saw it on facebook and loved it. Makes me consider looking into that box of plaids I have... Haven't thought of them for since I stopped making things to sell. I like the idea, TFS

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon, I love it! I am always afraid to work with plaids - keeping them square in the block, but you did a fantastic job!

Sorry about your friend - will add her to my prayers. Good luck with your quilt for her.
    Sue

• vicky4x4
    10 years ago

Sharon I love your quilt!
    Vicky

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone. I think what brings this all together is using the same background fabric throughout.
    Rosa, I even found a pair of cotton plaid walking shorts, so that's in there, too. lol
    Linda/CA, I've come to like that corner with the plaid square. :-)
    Sandra, The plaids are cotton, not flannel.
    Jane, Get that box of plaids out and make them into squares so you'll be ready.
    Sue, Keeping plaid 'straight' is why I have never played with them before....I really try to steer away from anything with stripes. I found it's mainly in the cutting and with the shirts, it was fairly easy to follow a strip in the plaid. Try it with a shirt, you might like it. :-)
    Thank you, Vicky. It's nice to see you posting here again. :-)

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Done enough to take to the cabin this week-end! It ended up being 62x73. Because I messed up the back and somehow it didn't stay straight, I'm calling this the Wonky Cabin Warmer. I want to do a little more quilting on it...diagonal through the stars, and will bring it back with me. They won't be there anyway. I left a pocket on the shirt fabric at each end on the back. :-) Cough drops, candy, Kleenex.....remote. lol

And, the back:

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I'm still lovin this quilt, the quilting looks great and keeping a few pockets...Perfect!!!
    V.

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Fun and smart too. Taking quilting back from fabric stores to it's origins. My husband has been asking me for years why I buy "new" fabric.
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

This screams woodsey, homey, snuggle, fire in the fireplace (we'd need that here:~) watch an old movie - whoops! No internet ~LOL~ read a good book or better yet - conversation.
    I love it! The back is perfect, and the use of the pockets brilliant!
    Make sure you label this one!!!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought so, too, Marsha. That's why it's for the cabin!

There's been a bit of a snafu for this week-end. The Geezer broke his knee-cap yesterday afternoon and surgery is scheduled for 8pm tonight. Sit in chair, go to bathroom and go to bed is all the traveling he's allowed for 4-6 weeks. Right now, I have to go find him!

• nannykins
    10 years ago

Ah no.
    Hope recovery is quick and painfree.
    Theresa

• bev2009
    10 years ago

That looks great, I'll have to start saving my hubbies old shirts. I've never hear of anyone breaking a knee-cap. I hope all goes well for the surgery.

• day2day
    10 years ago

Great job, Sharon. I love it. It looks so cozy.
    TFS.

Hope your DH makes a quick recovery.
    All the best to both of you.

~Geraldine

• polardream
    10 years ago

Sharon, the quilt turned out beautiful. Hopefully DH will make a very quick recovery to his surgery and you have time to quilt through his surgery & recoup time.

Take care of yourself, too!
    Sue

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Holy Cow - how did he do that???? Keeping him in my prayers tonight for an easy surgery.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DH has a figure 8 wire in his knee-cap to hold the bones together. When we saw the dr at 8:30 yesterday morning, he said the gap between the broken bones had already separated to the point of needing surgery in just 16 hours. We got to the hospital at the appointed 3pm and he was taken back a little after 9. The anti-nausea meds for the anesthetic was given so early they didn't work and was still affecting him this morning. He said the recovery room nurse was mean.....kept yelling at him to wake up. Little did they know it was waaaaay past his bedtime, plus they had drugged him. We got home around 1am, he went straight to bed and slept straight through....is sleeping again. He's to stay off his leg as much as possible for 14 days and take it easy 4-6 weeks. I told him it's his decision; follow the drs orders or live with a painful knee for the rest of his life. All of this on the day our van was taken in for an oil change and discovered it needed new brakes. The son-in-law wouldn't do it if it didn't need it, so over $600 there. They are still going to the cabin, taking his parents and using our van, so I'm without transportation. DGS is stopping by this evening to see if there's anything he can do. And he and his woman (she's settled him down) plan to be here for Sunday afternoon. She's never had a homemade pecan pie, so I plan to have her make one. :-) Guess that's it for now......no sewing for me for a few days. I was thinking I probably could have hand pieced a quilt top with as much time as I spent in the ER on Wednesday and the Surgery Center yesterday. Am seriously considering something to keep on hand! Just wasn't thinking before heading to the hospital yesterday. :-(

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's finally home.... (Holly's DMIL is in the kitchen)

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Sounds like a grueling hospital visit. The norm I guess. So glad you made it home safely. Now for the recovery!
    Love the cabin quilt pic.
    LindaB/CA

• magothyrivergirl
    10 years ago

Wonky Cabin Warmer looks right at home! Love the cabin -- great place!!!
    Hope Mr Geezer is not giving Mrs Geezer too much grief! :~)
    Be a Good Patient Mr Geezer!!!