Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polardreams

Weekend- wall hangings

polardream
10 years ago

These are the two wall hangings I made this weekend for birthday gifts. All of the leaves were gathered in my neighborhood on walks with my dog.The leaves will fade over time to a reddish-brown color or yellowish-brown, but the one I made almost 10 years ago still gets compliments, so I am okay with that!

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• msmeow
    10 years ago

Very pretty! How do you transfer the leaves?

Donna

• nanajayne
    10 years ago

Very nice. You have a lovely variety. How are the leaves used? I have see a couple techniques. TFS

• quiltingfox
    10 years ago

I think they turned out beautiful. How did you get the leaves embedded in the fabric? And is this a type of quilt that you can not wash after you transfer the leaves on to the fabric?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    10 years ago

Gorgeous. I too am interested in how you did it. Are they glued on?
    LindaB/CA

• jennifer_in_va
    10 years ago

Sounds like this could be a workshop at retreat?!

Very cool looking project! Sure see why it gets compliments!

• polardream
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments!

I have never washed mine - don't know if they would hold up or not. I have ironed them, however. I experimented with different colors of leaves. Yellow aspen leaves didn't come out very good - not enough pigment in the leaf. I will try washing the 3 spare squares I have and let you know how they stand up.

I have a piece of old shelf that is that composite wood with the veneer top that I used to pound the leaves/fabric on. I was able to use a clorox wipe to clean it after I was finished.

I wear earplugs since I did this in the basement and put the wood on the concrete and it is really loud.

I cut unbleached muslin to approximately 9" squares. You could make them whatever size you want.

I placed the leaves "wrong side" down on the fabric. I then put a piece of plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the leaves and beat them with a hammer to push the dye from the leaves into the fabric. It takes a while to actually do each square since you do each leaf individually.

I left the fabric and leaves to dry out at least 24 hours then I took a putty knife and scraped all the leaf and stem residue off the fabric.

Iron the squares flat. Trim the squares to the desired size & sashed.

I only stitched in the ditch for my quilting.

Sue

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    10 years ago

Those look great, Sue!

I'm wondering what we all would look like at retreat outside beating a piece of fabric with a rock. It would be fun!!!

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are some beautiful leaves near Camp C. Guess it would get us out and moving to collect some!

Then if we did a little "Chant" while pounding we might be like the Indian Guides and princesses!

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    10 years ago

I really like your wall hangings...so nice for original wall hangings!
    Perhaps we will all be Camp Cheerio Princesses chanting or perhaps scare the little ones and we'll be Halloween witches ;-)

Well done and thanks for the info...gotta give this a try!
    V.

• vicky4x4
    10 years ago

Very Nice! I love natural stuff.

Vicky