Return to the Quilting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damascus hand carry electric sewing machine

Posted by bowdencheri (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 12:54

Hi,

I just purchased a Damascus electric sewing machine. I am trying to find out more information on it. I cannot find on the web info on it's model and year. I would like to also find out if I could get it up and running to use it for a small project.

It came in a carrying case. The motor is a coronet motor.

It has a serial number # 217960 3 under the plate for the shuttle.

Thank you,
Cheri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damascus hand carry electric sewing machine

Damascus was made for Montgomery Wards, but I don't recall the maker. Lovely machine- I've never seen one with floral decals.

o

Damascus was made for Montgomery Wards, but I don't recall the maker. Lovely machine- I've never seen one with floral decals.

o

I just did a quick google on damascus sewing machine and found a number of hits, to include the manufacturer (national sewing machine company), a manual for download etc.
I'm sure you've done the same, and while it may be difficult to find specifics on the model number you have, a manual might be a start. Sorry this isn't more helpful. Good luck in your quest.
Pretty machine...hope you get her up and running!

o

I found some pictures and it looks like the treadle damascus machines. I am thinking that this has been converted to run with an electric motor. The manual I found for the Damascus Vibrating Shuttle looks most like this machine. I was able to thread it and sew a couple seams. The top thread breaks often so now I have to figure out what is causing that.

I will work on cleaning and oiling it before I play too much more.

Thank you. If anyone knows for sure that it is the treadle machine that has been converted then I will be able to figure out what size needles and shuttle I need to have.

Thank you,
Cheri

o

I am not well informed but I would seem to me if it came in a carrying case it wouldn't be a conversion. Just a thought.

o

Most standard machines with a common mount will fit interchangeably into other carrying cases. Many women bought portables and later mounted them into cabinets designed for the same mounting holes. The earliest electrics were the same machine as the treadles with a motor mounted externally. It amounted to a factory conversion, but still a conversion. Any electro-mechanical machine with the proper hand wheel can be converted to a treadle. My 1960ish singer is easily mounted in a treadle base and will take a belt.

o

Interesting.. Didn't know that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quilting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here